Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline - Why we need new dedicated committee members

Options
  • 16-08-2005 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this in advance of the AGM to ask people to step forward for the Committee now. We've asked before but I'd like to discuss it a bit more.

As it stands the past 12 and a bit months have been our biggest and while it might not appear we have done a huge amount, we have. Lots of issues are being addressed, most importantly groups like ComReg, the DCMNR, eircom, BT and Smart are taking us very seriously. We have talked and met with the EU and they are listening too. Groups and telcos come to us now and consult with us about new products and new technologies and ask what would a consumer think of this, would IrelandOffline be happy with this, what needs to change etc.

We have brought the line failure rate back into play, we have highlighted the availability issues and we have the press cynically questioning a lot of what is said now by the PR people. eircom are apparently addressing line failures now, and prices for broadband products are coming down though not far enough. I think we can claim we influenced this, we may not have proof but I guess you'll need to trust us when we say we did influence this.

To do anything in the world of lobbying the Civil Service and the EU takes more than 12 months though. We've created a great momentum but it may soon run out.

Currently half the committee will be resigning at the AGM since they've put in a very good year and the other half are pretty burnt out from all the effort they have put in. To keep the momentum we need new blood, like we got at last years AGM when IrelandOffline was very close to being pronounced dead on arrival.

July 2004 was crunch time for IrelandOffline and the current committee following Adam Beecher's lead came forward and revived IrelandOffline. Now the same needs to be done or IrelandOffline could once again end up with one person trying to keep it alive.

Now without being disrespectful, we are looking for people who can commit to at least 3 hours a week to IrelandOffline and can stay at it for at least 6 months. We know there are a few people who would like to come onboard and who we know would be good but they seem to be worried about being able to give that commitment. We'd like them to reconsider.

Thanks,
    Damien.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I thought it might be of interest to people thinking about joining the committee to give an idea of what it's like from my own personal experience.

These are my own personal observations and others may agree or disagree :)

To be completely honest its a bit of a mixed bag, sometimes you feel that being an integral part of the committee is fantastic, especially when attending a meeting with some of the big players and you know, just know, you have blown the competition out of the water, put your points across coherently, elegantly and forcefully. Well known reporters and media outlets asking you what they should write, what we think of product x, what consumers really think. Visiting boards and reading threads and then using that information in a phone interview not twenty minutes later (it has happened)

If you think you have the inside track by visiting boards, wait until you are on the committee mailing list and IRC sessions. Watching and being involved in matters as they happen, knowing in advance what company y is going to do and planning strategies, preparing news releases and preping for interviews and generally getting your hands dirty trying to shape the future of broadband in Ireland.

Even being part of the press release, either writing it or contributing bits here and there, watching the release evolve from a hodge podge of ideas to a coherent barn storming PR that blows the opposition out of the water. Even better when you see what you helped create take on a life of its own in newspapers and radio even TV. And truly wierd, seeing your name in print appearing to make logical decisive arguments. (still has me puzzled how exacty that happens because I'm pretty sure when I am doing the interview I am gibbering)

On a more serious note anyone who is interested in politics, networking (in the business sense) and media relations should seriously consider this as well. I have, in 12 months, learnt more about the media, press releases, interview techniques, how reporters and newspapers work, political maneuvers and telecoms than I learned in the rest of my life!

The downsides are equally serious. Not being able to express your true feelings in the exact and expressive terms you would like to :)

Interviews, they are nerve wracking, require serious preperation in advance (usualy in work or at home while kids are playing, dinners ready, neighbours calling etc)

Frustration, imagine banging your head against a brick wall repeatedly. Both with the telecoms comapnies, regulators, media, other committee members, posters on boards, life, God and so on.

But on the whole I have found it an extremely positive experience, have been to interesting places, met interesting people and nailed them with accurate facts, figures and a far better general knowledge of the subject than even the so called experts. ( you would be very suprised how cluless some on the "experts" really are when the don't have a couple of weeks and a mini army of staff to help them)

Running my own business I have found the last 12 months very helpful, both from a confidence building point of view and also with the contacts I have made. That wasn't why I joined the committee but it has proven to be an unexpected and beneficial side effect.

Finally, you will get to know other like minded people and I think I can say without fear of contradiction very good friends on the committee. I know that regardless of what I decide to do at the AGM I will always be able to ring, PM or email committee members in the future.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jmason

Hi guys!

Has any thought been given to the idea of sponsorship? IE. similar to the planned use of PledgeBank in the UK to drive a "digital rights" organisation there?

I'm *well* out of the picture these days for pretty much anything in Ireland, being in LA for the last few years. But after a few discussions and blog postings and what-not about the place, I'm coming to think this is a good model; get enough people to pony up the money to mean that it's possible for someone to spend a day a week doing the job, and get paid for it, and suddenly it becomes a more attractive option for that someone.

(See Danny O'Brien's blog posting, for reference)

--j.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just a quick echo of jwt's post: I was on the committee in the past, and it can be an exhiliarating experience. One thing that's entirely beyond question at this point is that Ireland Offline has utterly and permanently changed the face of the Internet industry in this country.

Is more change needed? Obviously. Want to be a part of it? Sign here.

Damian's right, tho: you need to be committed. But it's worth committing to.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

oscarBravo wrote:

Is more change needed? Obviously. Want to be a part of it? Sign here.

Damian's right, tho: you need to be committed. But it's worth committing to.

As a complete outsider to this nation, to a large extent. I can comment that I am very aware of the progress made by IOFFL, so much so that I try and contribute constructively when I can.

ComReg, DCMNR, EU Commission are all paying attention now, please don't drop the ball. Copper fasten a successful year.

I might exalt your glorious Chair Mr. Damien for his tenacious approaches to getting the lobbying in and making the connections albeit under the web radar from time to time. Not everyone has the nerve to carry off high level public servant and corporate exec. confrontations with such style and Corkonian panache. I have seen transcripts and heard multiple interviews, summary = impressive.

Well done. I don't have the time to formally commit owing to an extensive travel schedule which takes me far and wide and frequently dealing with an extensive 'train' of legal, economic and policy initiatives.

Please lend your support to IOFFL and the impetus will pay off.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

it's all well and good for pimping IOFFL, and I am really interested in this, but I was wondering what requirements you have on a person willing to contribute to this group.
    Okay, I have for example have not probs with commitment, but what about required knowledge in this field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

A complete in-depth knowledge of the industry is not required although it would be very helpful of course :D

Any new committee member would get up to speed very quickly as long as they are willing to learn the ins and outs. If you feel you could add something to the organisation by researching materials, assisting in putting responses/press releases together, attending meetings and generally communicating well with the committee itself and its members then thats all that can be "required" of you.

We are a voluntary organisation and we all have "real lives", all that is asked is that there is a level of commitment given that you try to honour.

Gareth

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Okay, I have for example have not probs with commitment, but what about required knowledge in this field?
    Technical knowledge is not important, IOFFL have access to all the technical knowledge they need - not least on this forum :)

From my experience with IOFFL the things that are needed from a committee member are:
    • A basic understanding of the issues involved - this is not techical knowledge, for example, I understand sh*g all about how LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) actually works but I do understand that it's the only way a provider can directly supply Broadband over the telephone line other than reselling Eircom's service, I understand that whilst LLU is supposed to be in place but Eircom have a grossly inefficient way of implementing it (e.g. if you go with Smart you either lose your existing telephone number for weeks or have to take a new one) and I understand that Eircom are dragging out LLU by going through the courts with Comreg directives.

Understanding these basic isssues means I can discuss the problems of LLU with other people be it Comreg or the media.

• The ability to debate issues in a rational way, putting forward your own ideas but being prepared to listen to other viewpoints and, at the end of the day, support a committee policy even though you may have argued against it originally.

• A cool head - dealing with some of these issues and organisations can be frustrating at times, losing the head is pointless, you have to be patient and keep pushing your case.

• Time commitment is the difficult one, working for IOFFL is a voluntary, unpaid job and has to be balanced against work, family and social demands. How much time is input depends on the individual and how much of a frontline or backroom role the member wants to play.

Take as an example, a meeting with Comreg which is typically two hours. The people attending the meeting, however, may have to give up a whole day if, like Damien for example, they have to travel long distance.

Not everyone has to make that sort of time commitment, though. There is a serious amount of preparatory work done for such meetings - the reading and summarising of documents, the discussing of ideas and strategy for the meeting, mostly done by emails and online IRC chats. This is where committee members not participating in the actual meeting can give a lot of help by taking the pressure Damien and other 'frontline' members. In other words, if you can give 3 or 4 hours per week from work or from home in the evenings with no travel involved, you can be a significant help.

• Personal integrity is vital. As John as pointed out, being involved in the committee exposes you to a lot of stuff that is not in the public domain, 'off the record' briefings by significant people in the industry, the inside track on strategies by the various players, things that cannot be disclosed at a particular point in time but allow the committe to plan forward and prepare appropriate strategies. IOFFL has generated a first class reputation for being trustworthy with 'inside information' and all committee members have to maintain this.

The other side of being on the committee is the personal satisfaction you get from doing something that 'makes a difference' and also the personal learning and development that John has expressed so well.

Like him, I should add the rider that these are my own personal observations and others may agree or disagree :)

A final few comments.

I have been involved with IOFFL in one way or another from the original formation and I have to echo comments from other people that the achievements over the last 12 months under Damiens's leadership have been outstanding. Only about this time last year, we were talking about the demise of IOFFL but instead of that we have seen it's most successful year ever.

It has been an exciting year but also a demanding one for the committee and I'm sure other members won't fault me for picking out Damien and John for the particular workload they have carried, especially in dealing with Comreg and the media.

Despite these achievements, however, there is still much to be done. Less than 60% of the people in this country can actually get Broadband and even those that can are getting a service far inferior to the rest of the world.

The committee has plenty of ideas and plans for dealing with these issues; getting more help will allow those ideas and plans to be carried out.

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

*bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Thanks

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Waiting to hear back from the rest of the Committee but should be Tues Sept 6th.

• Advertisement
Advertisement