Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Watch

Options
  • 17-08-2005 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

I've noticed over the past few weeks that alot of spam is occurring in the witch(ier) hours of the night, although the SMods do a great job of keeping everything running clean and smooth during the day, few are around at night time.

It's only a suggestion, and feel free to reject it, but how about some "Night Watch" people? Ie trustworthy users who use boards nightly between 2-7am could be given some powers to ban spammers and delete spammy threads.

The main problem I can see with this is who to pick? Although I'm on pretty late (till 4-5 usually) atm in about 2 weeks I'll be back to regular human hours. Just to get the ball rolling, I suggest TarAldarion, as lots of people have met him in person, and he seems to be on all night these days, but I havent talked to him about it and maybe he's in the same situation as me and only on late at night until the end of the summer...

I don't know, just a wee brainwave.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

i think its a great idea myself , the threads at night are ridculous to be honest arent they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Certainly a good idea but would the admins not be reluctant to give regular users such a power. Or else create yet another type of mod - Smod Cmod Hmod mod and now Nmod???

also how many people would be willing to stay up all night just in case spammers like that mavericks guy come on - very annoying but not *that* common of an occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

i would.....mmm..power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

i think the point was they'd be up anyway.

imo, that type of spam matters little in the general running of things and can wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Just give the job to night owl mods and give their day modding to sumone else. Also yankee boards members could do some night-modding seeming their between 4 to 8hrs behind. Just a suggestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i think its a good idea, keep boards abusers like "mavericks" on a tight leash!! id e interested

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

tribulus wrote:
    Certainly a good idea but would the admins not be reluctant to give regular users such a power. Or else create yet another type of mod - Smod Cmod Hmod mod and now Nmod???

Indeed, while it's a nice idea it would involve either a new Smod that usually surfs at night or the creation of a new mod category (I don't imagine you could specify a time range for mod powers though, so certain users had powers between 1 and 7AM).
    Are there any solid candidates for such a position anyway? No offence to Tar, he seems like a solid and upstanding member of society who donates to charity regularly and is heavily involved in local projects, but I don't see him getting it mainly because admins aren't going to jump a status from regular user right up to smod (if they were to go ahead with the idea at all).

I guess the real solution is to get an admin or smod to keep an eye as late and then as early as possible, and so minimise any "damage". Either that or shut down the forums after 2!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

What qualifies these people, Tar.Aldarian et al to moderate other than the fact that they seem to be up late?

Amz wrote:
    What qualifies these people, Tar.Aldarian et al to moderate other than the fact that they seem to be up late?
    well, what other qualifications would one need except a good track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

'tar is a great sexy man ' etc :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

I'd say in a few weeks, when school/college start back, the level of this late-night spam will naturally go down.
    For the same reason, some users like Tar.Aldarion won't be as active at night.

Bubbles seems to be on at night no matter what time of the year it is - how about making him a night mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cathy wrote:
    Bubbles seems to be on at night no matter what time of the year it is - how about making him a night mod?
    The sleep deprivation's gettin' to you petal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I SAY NAAA!

to Tar!

Just because he's waiting for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

scepter and ecksor are usually on at night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I dunno, I'm on at night quite a bit and tonight been the worst by far. Related to ppl unable to sleep due to LC results in the morning perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Here is the best procedure.

1. report the post.
    2. Put the person on ignore.

An admin will normally clean up when they get on and serious offenders tend to get more then just a ban. Examples: [wiki]Glenstal[/wiki] and [wiki]Nas[/wiki].

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Indeed, the time between the backup and 9am is peak spamming time. However, there are far less active users so that when the admins log on in the morning the spammer will only have exposed their spam to those of us that read boards during that time.

Nite krew reprasent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I used to deal with quite a few of these early-morning cases. I don't have inet access at home right now, so I'm not doing so, but I shall return!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Bubbles for admin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

amp wrote:
    Nite krew reprasent!
    \m/

Anyway, i think that as long as somebody deals a swift blow to them i will be happy.whether it be the powerless hand of Tar.Aldarion or the powerful fist of late night Talliesin,i do not care.somebody shut them the **** up.
    Thank you for the suggestion Fobia.Back to being solid and upstanding member of society who donates to charity regularly and is heavily involved in local projects with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Would a thorough diet of Pratchett be involved in the training?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Alright then,Pighead is willing to take this job.To be perfectly honest i'm relishing the opportunity to ban the spammers arses.Also as moderator i would like access to some viruses that will corrupt the said spammers PC.
    I've been on boards 3 months now and as a few of you already know its been my dream to be a moderator.Sure this is only a junior moderator post but let me remind you it wasn't so long ago that Brian Kerr was looking after the "Footballers"of St Patricks Athlethic
    Yes my friends the wheels are finally in motion,Pighead accent to Boards glory has begun
    PS-Tar Aldarion hasn't got the right temperament to be a mod,he called me a ninny once
    I'll start my new job tonight.Thanks to all who Pm'd me with congratulations

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pighead wrote:
    Alright then,Pighead is willing to take this job.To be perfectly honest i'm relishing the opportunity to ban the spammers arses.Also as moderator i would like access to some viruses that will corrupt the said spammers PC.
    I've been on boards 3 months now and as a few of you already know its been my dream to be a moderator.Sure this is only a junior moderator post but let me remind you it wasn't so long ago that Brian Kerr was looking after the "Footballers"of St Patricks Athlethic
    Yes my friends the wheels are finally in motion,Pighead accent to Boards glory has begun
    PS-Tar Aldarion hasn't got the right temperament to be a mod,he called me a ninny once
    we shall let sarky decide about you eh? ;) ...ninny

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Pighead wrote:

Ahem if i remember correctly, were you not banned from after hours a few weeks ago and you also moaned about it here in feedback so im sure the mods and admins would take that as undue spam, obviously not to the extent of our nightly new members but still the same.

Sparky_S wrote:
    Ahem if i remember correctly, were you not banned from after hours a few weeks ago and you also moaned about it here in feedback so im sure the mods and admins would take that as undue spam, obviously not to the extent of our nightly new members but still the same.

Ho Ho He He.that made me chuckle.The king of spammers having a pop at me a mere rookie in the art of spamming.
    Thats akin to Ronaldinho saying to Kevin Kilbane"Oi Kev,enough of that fancy stuff,just keep it simple,play the simple ball"
    And actually for your information Pigheads banning is an administrative error which is being sorted out by the Mods as we speak
    Back to the Unhappy Birthday with you and drink your imaginary vodka my boy. :rolleyes:
    Sheesh its not easy being Pighead,everyone going for the cheap shots all the time.

we shall let sarky decide about you eh? ;) ...ninny
    I'm not scared of sarky,hes a bit of a silly billy but Pighead and Sarky are like an old married couple.We're in the same room quite a lot and he makes me my dinner but the conversation between us is zero
    as Brett anderson once crooned
    We sit and rot here
    Resenting each year
    Will you go?
    Will you go, will you go?

We sing the old songs
    The beat box plays on
    And you know
    And you know, and you know

But there's oceans between us
    Light years that screen us
    Like oceans we drift away
    [Like] oceans we fade to grey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

oh looks like pighead left his account logged in in work again.

Nope this is Pighead,those nasties ahvent gotten near my sacred account in months.I'm still tall dark and piggish.
    Why would you think i my accound was hijacked buddy
    Ps:Could you unban me from After Hours by any chance,i'm missing it :(

looks like pighead is getting confused with his two accounts for he keeps mixing up his name and referring to the wrong account name in threads. /observant to a fault

• Advertisement

Could we not make it that someone can only create 1 new thread every half hour? this would be acceptable

Advertisement