Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop gaming - keyboard prob.

Options
  • 17-08-2005 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

I think this is unique to laptop keyboards, but maybe not...

anyone else have the problem that you can only press two keys at once? anyone know of a fix for it, if that's possible at all?

as an example - in GTA SA, driving school.. first challenge is the doughnut. you have to press and hold forwards + backwards then left or right to spin around. With the two buttons (f+b) held down, the other key doesn't respond. I had to turn on mouse steering to get it done.

At other times this will result in one key locking... resulting in ill-fated dives off the sides of cliffs / into water / etc. Very annoying.

I couldn't be alone in experiencing this, but a google search hasn't turned up anything :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Im afraid this is a common problem with almost all laptop keyboards if you press two conflicting or opposing keys the laptop only registers the first one you press this also happens if you press more then (non-arrow keys) 3 keys at once. A solution for your problem is to bind a different key to the brake or backwards movement in the game. I know from playing Colin Mcrae Rally with a keyboard that the space button used in conjunction with the arrow key makes for a decent control system. Also make sure your laptop has no specific accessibility features like "sticky keys" which often prove irritating for laptop users - check with the manufacturer for any specific keyboard configuration keyboard, i know my IBM laptop has a keyboard configuration wizard which fixes almost all of the problems.

Another (more costly) solution would be to buy an external USB games controller or keyboard for movement which negates the use of the laptop keyboard entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Hercule wrote:
    if you press two conflicting or opposing keys the laptop only registers the first one you press
    aha, so it affects neighbouring keys (eg. w,a,s,d) but it'll work if they're further away? - say using the space bar for reverse?

Tests in notepad seem to back that up anyway. Still damn annoying, but cheers for the quick fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

NP it drives me insane in Call of Duty all the time - looks like im finally gonna have to get around to building my new PC :confused:

Advertisement