Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start with techno

• 17-08-2005 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Am trying to get into techno but don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend/give links to decent mixes for a techno beginner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

since your new o it i take it you dont want a massive 2 hour mix or somthin, so heres a nice 30 mins Cari Lekebusch mix for ye from this years Awakenings festival.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~mcginty/CA106/01-awakenings_festival_2005-cari_lekebusch_live__spaarnwoude_-cable-02-07-2005-1king.mp3

try getting some Hardcell & Grindvik from livesets.com or djmixes.net or mpiii.com, they're some really good stuff on the go.

what dj's do you like in other types of dance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

The only other dance music I really like is Drum n Bass, but I wouldn't know which DJs I like, really. I like it when they don't do a rewind every minute or so!

The thing with techno is that the hard techno I've listened to is, I think, probably an acquired taste. However, I have heard some techno I like, such as Laurent Garnier was playing at Space on Saturday night (see my post in the Tune ID sticky thread) - so stuff like that is what I'm after to start with.

Cheers for the links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Check out a Techno DJ called Cave.
    Fairly decent DJ tbh, love that tribal thing he's got going. However recently hes been keeping away from the tribal stuff. Ben Sims is well worth a look also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

you basically want to avoid the hard as nails techno.
    Alex Smoke, Laurent Garnier, Vitalic, Sven Vath and Miss Kitten(!) are probably closer to what you are after. Dave Clarke and scandinavian guys like Adam Beyer are probably too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the best techno mix i ever heard was ritchie hawtin's decks fx and 909 not exactly melodic, but perfectly pitched, simple pure techno thats easy to get into...

adam beyer's stockholm sessions is also a very smooth shiny melodic mix - pick it up and give it a listen....

laurent garnier's unreasonable behaviour album and his "laboratoire garnier" mix are both recommended,

and it might be a bit full on for you, but the rough and ramshackle charm and sheer energy of jeff mills "live at the liquid rooms" mix might just be all it takes to get you into the slightly harder stuff....

• Advertisement

Loobz wrote:
    Check out a Techno DJ called Cave.
    Fairly decent DJ tbh, love that tribal thing he's got going. However recently hes been keeping away from the tribal stuff. Ben Sims is well worth a look also.

loobz, you've great tast, cave is an abs legend, all his stuff with ortin cam is brilliant. click demomix on his site and get his set.

one of my mates was talking about getting cave over to play the TBMC, hope he manages to make it happen.

@matt, the hard stuff like Rush, Remus and the like sounds horrible unless you like techno, so stay clear. Try some jeff mills even, but some of his stuff is really different to mainstream techno. your best bet is to go to the websites abouve, download a few sets and listen to them, and let us know what you like and we might be able to recommend a few more similar dj's

i have a beyer mix uploaded for you, its only alright, but i'm in work and all me sets are at home on the laptop, so give this one a rasp!

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~mcginty/CA106/Adam%20Beyer@sullivan%20room.zip

heres the Adam Beyer Stockholm Sessions that someone was talkin bout earlier in the post:

also heres Vitalic from the recent Monegros desert festival is spain, not his best set but its still fairly kickin ELectroTech.

Lemme know what you think!!

loobz, you've great tast, cave is an abs legend, all his stuff with ortin cam is brilliant. click demomix on his site and get his set.
    Im blushing now... :o
    one of my mates was talking about getting cave over to play the TBMC, hope he manages to make it happen.
    Please please please make this happen mate. That would be one killer of a night. If you listen carefully to his mixing, he is doing something nearly every 8 - 16 beats. He has incredible stamina, and even if the beats go off slightly when he drop mixes, I dont really care. He is flat out when he is mixing. I would care if someone was doing a boring mix, a tune every 6 minutes or so, ja know wha aye main?

I checked out a few of the above suggestions last night. I reckon the best of the ones I listened to was Cave, but none of them were really what I'm after, though. Perhaps the stuff I'm thinking of isn't actually techno but tech house or something - I don't really know anything about it! I've still to check out the Vitalic mix linked above.

Does anyone have links to any Laurent Garnier or Miss Kittin mixes (and others like them), I tried to find some, but to no avail (all the links I could find were dead).

Cheers guys.

Miss Kitten is one of the better female DJ's. Her style is called Electro, which usually consists of glitchy, electronic sounds and is generally played around the 130bpm mark. Towards the end of an electro set, things sound more solid but generally doesnt speed up much. Im sure some electro DJ's may play things faster but thats my limited experience with Electro.

I would advise to have a look at this thread and check all the sites on there. Have alook at the techno, tech-house, house and electro side of things. Maybe if you could anme a few of your favourite tunes, we could work with that. Then we could link a few sets etc. As far as Laurent Garnier and Miss Kitten sets are concerened, I have no direct links but they are out there, possibly on the above thread.

All the best. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 the dice man

if your looking for tech house you can't go wrong with luke slaters fear and loathing two mixtape which came out earlier this year. every second of it is quality

also check out slam, david carretta, the hacker, ivan smaggle and blackstrobe

• Advertisement

i found this Laurent Garnier Set

i dont know whats its like i just found the link in work havnt had a chance to listen to it yet, bit the link is workin so give it a whirl!

loobz, you reckon you would sell out the TBMC for Cave, i dont think he's too well known over here but i'm doin my best to get all me mates hooked on him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

http://www.ump3.de/ is probably the best place for you to go.
    get sven vath, miss kittin and maybe dj hell sets. miss kittin plays a fair bit of techno too. you'll probably like tiefschwarz aswell. i don't think you'll ever be able to listen to full on techno until you go out to a club and get hooked on it there, because it isn't easy listening music.

VinnyL wrote:
    i found this Laurent Garnier Set

i dont know whats its like i just found the link in work havnt had a chance to listen to it yet, bit the link is workin so give it a whirl!

loobz, you reckon you would sell out the TBMC for Cave, i dont think he's too well known over here but i'm doin my best to get all me mates hooked on him!
    Cool. I'll check it out after work. Cheers.

Advertisement