Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird cat lump?

Options
  • 17-08-2005 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My cat has had this strange lump near her neck for ages. I know that we should have brought her to the vet, and I feel bad that I didnt, but it was just one of those things that kept getting put off. But the thing is it didnt seem to be bothering her, she was still going around like her old self. Anyway, yesterday the lump just fell off! The best way of describing it is that it looks like a little ball of chocolate. Does anyone know what it could have been? There is just a little scar where the lump was, and again, she doesnt seem to be bothered in the slightest.
    Cheers
    -Cian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

That's quite odd. I'd guess that it was a boil or something similar. Our dog had a lump growing on his lip and we took him to the vet. She said it was nothing to worry about and the lump went on it's own accord after a while (although she didn't know exactly what it was).
    Still, if you encounter any more lumps on your cat, you should take her to the vet. Just because it isn't bothering her doesn't mean it mightn't be something serious. Better safe than sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Ok, question. If you had a child who developed a lump on his neck would you take him straight to the doctor or would you keep putting it off and consult an internet message board instead? :mad:

Is your cat an outdoor cat, could this have been an abcess from a cat bite? If so make sure her vaccs are up to date, not all vets vaccinate for leukaemia and the disease is easily spread in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

It might have been a tick, Dont know if cats can get them but i ave seen then on cattle,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds like it was a tick as an abcess would burst or just get larger and larger very quickly. Could of been a cyst of some sort but they don't generally fall off.
    Vet could of just tweezed it out for you in seconds if it was a tick.
    If the cat develops any more lumps take it to the vet just in case it wasn't a tick.
    Hate ticks..horrid little things yuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jelly:)

My two year old dog had a lump on her shoulder about two months ago. It started small but gradually got bigger. We brought her to the vet and they told us it was a cyst. It was removed and she has been fine ever since. I just noticed today that she has a lump on the inside of her lip, which seems pretty big to me. It's red, doesn't seem to bother her she is eating as normal etc. I will keep an eye on her for the next day or two and if I see no improvement Ill take her to the vet.

Does anyone know what this could be?
    Are the two things related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

It was probably just an infection from a tick, my cats have had these before and never did them any harm but always a good idea to bring the cat to the vet anyway.

Advertisement