Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lastmile Wireless - Midlands - any feedback ?

• 17-08-2005 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Lastmile wireless http://www.lastmile.ie are offering a wireless broadband service in my area, and as I can't get DSL at home (too far from the exchange) I thought I might give them a whirl.

Just wondering if anyone on here uses them and could make any comments on the service.

Thanks

XDA

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

What area are you living in? I have a heard a few mixed reports about them but as they are not in my area in offaly i can't judge yet. They have a few group broadband schemes around offaly so the install is cheaper and the price is guarenteed to stay as it is or drop. Also as it is a GBS I presume there has to be some guarentees on service or else the council would not subsidise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

I live outside Longford and I have line of sight to their base station on the Ardagh Mountain.

Would love to hear feedback from anyone who's used them.

XDA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Longfordian

XDA, where are you in Longford? I am hoping to get Last Mile to set up a GBS scheme in Killoe. I have heard poitive views about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

Im in IT in offaly and I find them very good as we have them on 2 customer sites

I've sent in my application anyway. They tell me installation will be about 2 weeks, so I'll report back here when I get the thing installed.

Regards

XDA

• Advertisement

Got it installed yesterday, and am using it now to post this message. Here are my observations.

1. Install time was 10 days, well inside the estimated 2 weeks.

2. Install fee was approx 100 euro.

3. Engineers who did the install were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. In and out in an hour and 30 mins.

4. Equipment is a small disk / square antenna mounted at roof height pointed at the local base station.

5. Inside house is a small white box with an ethernet port. Whatever you connect to this has to be capable of establishing a PPOE connection with the box, so you need a windows 2000/XP PC or a broadband router. I used a Canyon Wireless router which has 4 ethernet ports and Wireless 54G.

6. Speed is 512K/128K, so this is less than most current consumer DSL offerings, but feels nice and fast in normal use, you only notice the difference with large downloads.

7. Monthly cost is €40 / month all in, as far as I can tell there's no cap and of course there is no line rental (bye bye Eircom).

8. Time will tell on the reliability side.

If anyone else wants to know anything about it PM me or post here.

Regards

XDA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

XDA wrote:
    5. Inside house is a small white box with an ethernet port. Whatever you connect to this has to be capable of establishing a PPOE connection with the box, so you need a windows 2000/XP PC or a broadband router. I used a Canyon Wireless router which has 4 ethernet ports and Wireless 54G.
    If it's PPPoE then lots of operating systems support it e.g. windows 98, ME, Mac, Linux etc though not necessarily out of the box.

Advertisement