Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Controller?

Options
  • 17-08-2005 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Not wanting to rush out and spend dough on a joystick, does anyone know if a ps2 pad will work for aircraft manouvering etc in battlefield2?

(Moving house, and playstation packed away so I can't check. Also, I'm in work :)).

I have the usb connector for it, and it works with other games. Just wondering if its a cheaper alternative? (Analogue sticks would rock for it!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yes it would work. Not sure though how it would feel to be flying with a game controller but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Well I'll try it when I get to the new house and let you know! :D I think the analogue sticks would be perfect for it, but I love ps2 pads :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

It works fine.
    Just make sure you have the buttons configured properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

where did you get the usb converter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Works perfectly , tip change R1 and L1 to weapons and R2 for flares and X to change weapons.

Game sell them for €10, handy if your played GTASA flying is fairly similiar.

kdjac

hmm, very interesting

i was thinking about getting my old sidewinder pad going but as i said in another thread i cant get the drivers for it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

well, if i could configure the aircraft to fly the same as in ace combat, no one could beat me :D

Just an update: Works perfectly! :D Like a fecking dream tbh! ;)

One slight niggly problem that someone may be able to help with, if the pad is left alone, with no forces on any of the analogue sticks, the character will start to slowly drag to the left. Not the end of the world, but it makes hovering stabely in a chopper a bit of a pain, and a plane will start to tilt to the left when moving freely too.
    The left/right roll stick is not on the same on as the thrusts etc, so no idea what might be doing this... :) Still, better than a mouse!

yeah i got one for my xbox controller, works good but unfortunately the shoulder buttons cant be used in bf2 as buttons because they are completely analogue :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

that can be fixed, open up the controller clean the control surfaces (ie the ball section unter the analogue stick) and use a small amount of wd40. close it up and test the response (nearly always works for ps2 controllers)

once thats done run through the calibration in windows again.

the problem you are having is the analogue sticks are very stiff, when you calibrate they arent returning to the deadspot and it will always give a lean to one side till you fix it.

Cheers man, I'll do that when I go home! :D

Calibration in Windows you say? Heh, mine just plugged in and worked.

go to start>settings>control panel>

then its either joystick or game controllers, depending on your OS. once you are in that dialogue there should be a tab for calibration. it will run you through a few steps testing the limits of movement of the controller.

Ah, that should help a bit more so. I always assumed it was for serial port controllers or whatever. Plenty to do so tonight. Cheers for the tips jaggeh!

Constantly keeping my finger on a button for throttle was getting on my nerves with my ps2 controller.

Solution - get a safety pin, press whichever button you have assigned for throttle and jam the pin into the space left at the side.
    Problem solved, but you will be always be flying at full throttle...

I'm currently using the left analogue stick as the throttle. Can get any percentage then the same was you would with a joystick, and no aches! ;)

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    I'm currently using the left analogue stick as the throttle. Can get any percentage then the same was you would with a joystick, and no aches! ;)

Interesting, what have you got for direction and rudder controls?

I have pitch up/down on the directional pad.
    Weapons on the L1/L2 R1/R2 buttons.
    Throttle is Triangle, rudder controls with square and circle and x as slow down.

Left Analogue UP - Thrust Forwards
    Left Analogue DOWN - Thurst Backwards

Right Analogue UP - Pitch Forwards
    Right Analogue DOWN - Pitch Backwards
    Right Analogue LEFT - Roll Left
    Right Analogue RIGHT - Roll Right

R2 - That gentle turn: Right
    L2 - That gentle turn: Left

R1 - Fire
    L1 - Alternate Fire

Start - Eject! :) (After ejecting, Triangle is parachute: Setup in common controls menu)

X - Change weapon
    Square - Cockpit view
    Triangle - 3rd person view looking back
    Circle - 3rd person view behind the vehicle

D-pad DOWN - Thrusters
    D-pad LEFT - Flares

Thats all I can think of at the moment! :D
    Everything ya can need though, and easily done too. No need to go near keyboard or mosue till you've pulled parachute then either.

let me know how you get on cleaning the controller. its been a while since ive done it.

I need to get a thin enough Phillips headed scewdriver first! :) Nothing in my house will fit! :D;)

I did check it though, and it stops about half a centimetre off the central position when coming back from the left. So you're bang on in your diagnosis! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement