Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol Price Wars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Maybe you should check the date of that thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

oopps :o:o

Someone replied to it today.... Didn't think of looking at the date....

Easy mistake considering the price of petrol these days.... :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Tescos were very cheap for a year or so but there is not much difference anymore, they used to give a discount for grocery shoppers but I think they stopped that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lol! :D

Still its worth repeating fuel in Waterford City is cheap compared to most of the country and I dunno why but I'm not complaining. I was staggered at what rural garages in Kilkenny are charging. 1.20 is just a sneeze away.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A petrol station here in Limerick is already charging €1.21 a litre for regular unleaded but understandibly only BMW drivers buy it from him. :D

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    A petrol station here in Limerick is already charging €1.21 a litre for regular unleaded but understandibly only BMW drivers buy it from him. :D

He must not need the money if he can afford to sell it at that price... Sure he must make enough from his BMW sales anyway!

Is Shell in Thomandgate still the cheapest in Limerick? 104.7, i think.....

Baldie wrote:
    He must not need the money if he can afford to sell it at that price... Sure he must make enough from his BMW sales anyway!

Still see idots going into him though. :confused:
    Baldie wrote:
    Is Shell in Thomandgate still the cheapest in Limerick? 104.7, i think.....

It is 106.9 now but that is still cheaper than most around the rest of the city at 1.09 or 1.10 a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Mike, you should know to stay well away from poxy rural garages :)

the TOP oil depot in Kilkenny has unleaded for about 1.05/litre. Statoil/Shell are about 1.06.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Tesco in Ardkeen in Waterford was 101.9 on Sunday. Garages around there were selling for 102.9/103.9. Tesco in Dundrum is 105.9, so I was sorry I fileed up before driving down for the weekend.

Here's something to think about.

Lets say that the average car takes 40 litres of petrol..

If Tesco sell the petrol at 101.9 (x 40 litres = €40.76)

And the others (for agruments sake) are selling at 108.9 ( x 40 litres = €43.56)

For the sake of €2.80, is it worth it?

The average Joe soap might throw €20 a week into his car.

With Tesco that's 19.62 litres of petrol.

The others would be 18.36.

A difference of 1.26 litres.

Are we wasting our time going to the cheaper stations?
    Or are we right to stay away from the dearer stations?

Hopefully this will get a good old discussion going.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Baldie,
    Thats a dodgy suggestion.

My car took €57 the other day to fill, @ 107.9 so it has a tank over 50L!

So take the tesco mentioned thats selling at 101.9, if I had filled there it would have been €53.83 or a difference of €3.17.
    Now, I fill about every 10 days, so thats 36.5 fills a year (convenient), times the price difference is, thats over €115 euro in the difference. :eek:

Also, if people are complacent about petrol prices, (which alot are), then the prices will continually rise. Where as, if everyone stuck religiously to the cheapest stations, the very least we could expect would be a much slower rise in petrol prices.
    But over the last 2 years the price has changed from an average of about €0.88p/l to about €115p/l (estimated for the end of this year) that is an 27 cent increase.
    So for me, that increase has cost me approx:
    50L 36.5 times a year is :
    -1825L
    -Multiplied by €0.27 is :
    - €492.75 --EXTRA--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where you live has a big saying in this of course, in a village you have maybe one garage, the next village may be no better, here in Waterford city the average price per litre is 1.03-1.04, thing is it might only take one garage to raise thier prices and all the rest follow.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Baldie wrote:
    The average Joe soap might throw €20 a week into his car.
    That's part of the problem - the Joe's who throw in a tenner and never look at the price.

In my case, my local (home) Statoil has been consistantly 10cent a litre more expensive than my local (work) Tesco - so I buy petrol on my way home from work.

Typically I let the tank run down to the vapours, and then totally fill it - usually doing that about every fortnight.

It's a 60l tank - so say every fill I save 10c x 60 = €6
    25 times a year = €150

Well, that's money I'd rather was in my pocket than anybody else's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

Ye should all really stop complaining cos in the UK, average petrol prices are in the region of €1.30-€1.40.

The other side of the coin - petrol is only around €0.33 a litre in the US and they think that is starting to get expensive!. Maybe if we complained more about the price of things we may not have so much "Rip off Ireland".

Eddie Hobbs type rant is over. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Ye should all really stop complaining cos in the UK, average petrol prices are in the region of €1.30-€1.40.

Yes I agree but isnt the average cost of a car cheaper over there and also tax cheaper?
    No VRT either.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bazz26 wrote:
    The other side of the coin - petrol is only around €0.33 a litre in the US and they think that is starting to get expensive!. Maybe if we complained more about the price of things we may not have so much "Rip off Ireland".
    But with a bigger heavier car, is their travel really that much cheaper?

And tell me, how much would health insurance cost in the USA?

Advertisement