Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU MSN Inquiry Service

Options
  • 17-08-2005 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I posted this on the SU boards and just thought ye all might like to know as well...

I've set up a MSN account (sueducation@hotmail.com) which I'll sign into Messenger on every Monday at 3pm (meetings allowing) so that people who might be a bit shy to come into the office, or live too far away to do so, can ask me questions which I'll be able to answer more quickly than through email..I won't be checking the account for mail, just using the instant message aspect of it every Monday. This idea was partly given to me by boards because of the number of PM's I receive in here, just thought that an IM thingy would be handier and quicker for people who have inquiries.

Anyway, feel free to use it or alternatively my contact details are all on the SU website.

JHJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

That's a really good idea.

And I have to say, you're doing a really good job, you're the only SU person I've seen do anything about really getting in contact with us ordinary students and I think it's great. Giving me slightly more faith in the SU anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Well JHJ is certainly the first SU officer to bother checking this UCD forum, and even probably the only one to use Boards productively.
    And coming up with this MSN idea shows a lot of foresight, cos I dunno how many pms you're gettin now Vainglory, but, as you have guessed, they'll fly in just before/during term-time, cos everyone has some issues with the college, big and small, that they'll need to run by you.

Top job so far JHJ!

President for 2006/7, methinks... ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Good idea.

However in Uni you're still blocked from using IMs on the ol pcs though...hmm, where theres a will...

go to www.e-messenger.net and you can do the MSN instant message malarkey to your heart's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Or just use webmessenger....

http://webmessenger.msn.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

I always just used MSN web messenger, never had a problem with it..

Hmmm, someone with an extremely odd MSN profile name has added themselves to my contact list...anyone wanna own up? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Learn something nu everyday

Vainglory wrote:
    Hmmm, someone with an extremely odd MSN profile name has added themselves to my contact list...anyone wanna own up? :p
    What's the name? I'm pretty sure it ain't me, cos mine's Seb, plus I haven't added myself to ur contact list...
    So who is this mystery person?

Aw now I couldn't be giving that info away...whoever it is will know who they are ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

SebtheBum wrote:
    Well JHJ is certainly the first SU officer to bother checking this UCD forum, and even probably the only one to use Boards productively

Fergal used it last year.

Also - just how significant so you really think this forum is in the context of 18000 students in UCD? 15 reg users, 50 browsers? Whilst every recognition is nice, be realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

uberwolf wrote:
    Fergal used it last year.

Also - just how significant so you really think this forum is in the context of 18000 students in UCD? 15 reg users, 50 browsers? Whilst every recognition is nice, be realistic
    I think "productively" was the key word in Seb's post ;) Anyway don't forget about word of mouth...we have friends in the real world too! And if each person passes on useul information from boards to five of their friends, and they pass it on to five other pp, there's like ya know chain reactions and stuff :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Indeed blondie you've hit the nail on the head.

I think an SU FAQ/Knowledgebase would be a better idea - that way we'd have answers to previous questions first in case it's already been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

blondie83 wrote:
    I think "productively" was the key word in Seb's post ;)

I'm responding cos it's only to easy to run a guy down.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=245467
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=218923
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=247244
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2602873&postcount=9
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2869834&postcount=10

this was even after the rather troubled introduction he received, embroiled as he was in the SU scrap here.

I agree with your other point Blondie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I had an idea the other day, which I think might not be a bad one. (It was alcohol induced, they're the best kind!)

The SU should set up either an "Ask Pat" forum on the SU boards and advertise it campus wide or set up a specific "Ask Pat" site (the first is probably cheaper and easier, I know very little about computers, so I'm not sure).

The idea behind this "Ask Pat" service would be that people from any year or course could ask Pat questions that they wanted to know but were too shy/embarrassed to ask anyone. Other browsers could PM "Pat" with answers, a conscise (sp?) answer could be formulated and posted. That way there's no abuse of people who ask what others think is a stupid question, people find out things about UCD that they should know and don't, and it's student friendly. Also, it would become a database and eliminate the over-and-over-again nature of threads here and elsewhere. Maybe, because it would be UCD based, and not independent, it could even be linked from UCD connect, like SIS, while having it's own independent access route, for those who haven't figured UCD Connect out yet.

I was going to e-mail the SU with the idea, but I'm too lazy and frankly a little drunk. Long live liquid lunches!

Thinketh ye yay or nay? (I could have made a poll, but I don't like them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

jane you can use your sueducation@ucd.ie one for messenger if ya like, just register it with passport.com and use that username and password to log into messenger it doesn't affect your e-mails or anything else just gives ya messenger access.

Ahaaaaaaaaa...

You learn something new every day.

Done and done. sueducation@ucd.ie can now be added to MSN.

I'll add the people who added the old address to their contact list to that contact list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

just tought i'd let you know, might make it handier for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Advertisement