Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

مدرسه Madrassas

• 17-08-2005 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

For those of your from Pakistan. A freind who is a shia says Madrassas are schools of ignorance.
    Kill 7 shias and you'll go to heaven.

Any opinions?
    Salaams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

I'd have to agree the madrasas are the cause of most of the porblems that muslims face these days. They are places where uneducated extremists go to spill out their filth and the reason why we have such a bad name.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Whos we? Are you a Muslim?
    I was disgusted and shocked to hear that about killing 7 shias. This freind also got a drive by done on his house, completely riddled the outside of his house :(
    After that the mosque was bombed. All near kashmir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I remember reading a book by Tom Friedman, Foreign Editor of the New York Times. He visited a few Madrasses and while interviewing staff, asked to see the library. For so called schools, he said they had little or no books on science, literature, society, arts, nothing.

Guess what book they had plenty copies of? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

r3boot wrote:
    I'd have to agree the madrasas are the cause of most of the porblems that muslims face these days. They are places where uneducated extremists go to spill out their filth and the reason why we have such a bad name.....

I disagree that they are the cause of most problems. What percentage of Muslims attend Mardasses? A low percentage I would imagine. There are other extreme elements - don't forget Wahabisim in Saudi Arabia. Now there is a civilised, progressive, open minded bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm sure like anything else there are madrassas where tolerence is taught, and ones where bigotry is taught. In general though Sunnis would follow verses like the following when dealing with shi'as, and vice versa:

003.159: "It was by the mercy of Allah that thou wast lenient with them (O Muhammad), for if thou hadst been stern and fierce of heart they would have dispersed from round about thee. So pardon them and ask forgiveness for them and consult with them upon the conduct of affairs. And when thou art resolved, then put thy trust in Allah. Lo! Allah loveth those who put their trust (in Him). "

I live beside a Madrassa on Aungier's Street. I'll let you know if there are any drive-bys. :D

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote:
    I disagree that they are the cause of most problems. What percentage of Muslims attend Mardasses? A low percentage I would imagine. There are other extreme elements - don't forget Wahabisim in Saudi Arabia. Now there is a civilised, progressive, open minded bunch.
    Madrassas are quite frequent in pakistan

Whos we? Are you a Muslim?

Most people would look at my lifestyle and views on islam and say that I wasn't. But yeah I was born a muslim and I do believe in god and that mohammed is a prophet but don't agree with the current direction islam is taking or the current interpretation of islamic texts.

As for why i think that madressas are bad is because they are one of the spring boards of the most extreme sects in the islamic faith includinig wahabisim. Madrassas aren't a movement in islam its the arabic word for a school and in this context it means a place in which they can spread their corrupt interpretation of the islamic faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

madrassas i think are not serving the purpose they were intented for
    they were built for the children of the poor who cant afford school

when russia invaded afghanistan
    these madrassas were given a political drive by america and
    they were fighting a full war on behalf of americans in afganistan in name of the religion "Islam"

once the war finished americans dissapeared from that region and left that region in the most difficult condition.Until they got a wakeup call on 11 september when the same thing what they created them self came on their doorstep they called it "terrorisim" no one has the precise defination.what in this world will be regarded as terrorisim

thats what happened there.
    Madrassa is just a religious school.westren world should not look at it with extreme views.every one is not the same.Everyone know IRA is a terrorist organization and you see 10 downing street even bertie nogiciate with them

All i want to ask is y Double standards?????

you are right the word madrassa does mean school but these days all they teach is one interpretation of islam and gives people the impression that any non-muslim is evil. I'm sure we all know that this is a very immature way of looking at things.

Also for a definition of terrorism I suggest you go buy a dictionary.

Madressas these days are owned and run by politically motivated extremists islamic sects which use them to brainwash people into submission.

Terrorism wont be defined very well in a dictionary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

so far thedefination of this word is
    "anything which is a threat to american interests is terrorisim "

Terrorism wont be defined very well in a dictionary.

i believe it would. its been around for about 200 years so I'm sure that peole have decided what is means
    from wordorigins.com Terrorism

Terrorism is not simply a modern phenomenon. Rather, the word, along with terrorist, first appears in English in 1795 in reference to the Jacobins of France. They ruled France in what was called the Reign of Terror from 1793-94. By 1798, the term was being applied generally to anyone who attempted to achieve political goals through violence and intimidation.

The word is thought to have been coined by the Jacobins themselves, but the French terrorisme is not recorded until 1798. If the Jacobins did coin it, they are the only ones to have used it self-referentially. The term has always had negative connotations since then.

source
    And the definition from dictionary.com The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

source

please reference your definiton of terrorisim digitally-yours.

so far thedefination of this word is
    "anything which is a threat to american interests is terrorisim "
    Yes according to the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Kindly bring the thread back on track.

Yes according to the media.

Obviously CNN, skynews and al jazera were around long before 1795 when the term was first used.

Oh and to get back on topic can anyone give any reasons why madrassas in their current form are a good thing for mainstream non-sectarian muslims ? (I sure as hell can't think of any)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Especially when they open one right across the road in the full gaze of White Friars St Church!

This thread is dancing a fine line. From now on we will be having valid sources and not "My best friend told me" or making claims without backing them up.

The term refers to "School". While there may be questionable schools it does not mean all such schools are as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrassa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally Posted by Poblachtach
    I remember objecting strongly to this forum while the idea of it as in the "FORUMS" forum. now ye talk about killing people, this forum is sick and should closed down. Religious tolerance my a*se.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

netwhizkid wrote:
    I remember objecting strongly to this forum while the idea of it as in the "FORUMS" forum. now ye talk about killing people, this forum is sick and should closed down. Religious tolerance my a*se.
    He's not advocating it, re-read his post.

netwhizkid wrote:

Your funny.

• Advertisement

He's not advocating it, re-read his post.

Exactly. That is not what he said at all. I recall saying from the forums post netwizkid would get a permenant ban, however I will let that pass providing you (netwizkid) can discuss your issues in a civil manner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

OT: How did you get the thread link to display right-to-left? Pretty cool.

OT: How did you get the thread link to display right-to-left? Pretty cool.

Arabic is right to left language. So the control code is probably interfering with the thread link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

netwhizkid wrote:
    I suspect you of deliberately mis-reading the post. But maybe you're just thick.

Consider yourself warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Here's the quote;
    For those of your from Pakistan. A freind who is a shia says Madrassas are schools of ignorance.
    I can understand how people can mis-read this - I did the first time I read it. It starts off with his Shia friends claim that Madrassas are 'schools of ignorance'

And then, in a line all on its own, we have "Kill 7 shias and you'll go to heaven."

Which leaves it open to be taken out of context (and I assume it was meant in a different context rather than that of 'statement' ?)

Schools of Ignorance .. i.e Kill seven shias and you go to heaven.
    What is so difficult about it. Either way.

I was going to flame netwhizkids a** but decided against it.

It's his luck day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Excuse me, may I ask a question?

I thought that madrassas were religious-based schools - kind of like the convent schools that Catholics run? Schools that teach all subjects, but base these subjects in a religious viewpoint, so that a virtuous approach to life is at the centre of one's way of dealing?

Am I wrong? Can anyone define madrassas, please? Without prejudice, just a straight explanation of what a madrassa is intended to be.

luckat wrote:
    Excuse me, may I ask a question?

I thought that madrassas were religious-based schools - kind of like the convent schools that Catholics run? Schools that teach all subjects, but base these subjects in a religious viewpoint, so that a virtuous approach to life is at the centre of one's way of dealing?

Am I wrong? Can anyone define madrassas, please? Without prejudice, just a straight explanation of what a madrassa is intended to be.

The word medrassa means school in arabic. I'm sure that at some point they were used for that but most of the ones you see today are usually politically motivated schools which teach one form of islam be it salafist, ikwan al muslimeen, etc. I have yet to see any medrassa that teaches the fundementals of interpretation of the quran and Sunnah without being partial to the point of view of the people who fund it.

The only subjects taught in these medrassas is religion and it's only one at the moment.

That being said I'm sure there are one or two places that do try and give a balanced non-sectarian view of things I just haven't heard of them yet.

• Advertisement

I am going to ask again.. If you are making these accusations back them up with sources. If you don't I'm locking the thread.

Advertisement