Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting exams rechecked -- your experiences?

Options
  • 17-08-2005 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I just got my results (as ya know ;)), and I was thinking of getting a couple of things rechecked, but I'm not sure. Maths I got a D2 in, and I need to pass it for my course.. so I was just wondering what's the likelihood of it going DOWN after being rechecked?

Anyone who's had a paper rechecked, or knows someone who did, what's been your experience? Has it ever gone down? Does it normally go up? Thanks

Comments

You should have a look at your paper before you actually get it rechecked.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I don't think it can go down, you just loose the money if the grade dosen't go up.

If the grade goes up, you get a refund.

This was the way things were back in 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

You can go down, but it's really rare. And if you got a D2 it's even more unlikely that u'd go down 2 grades to fail.

They dont normally go up either, in most cases the grade stays the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Try to bring a teacher in with ya when you're viewing, they could be useful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

You can view any exam in your school, free of charge, no hassle. Does anyone know when the marking schemes come out? Or do we get them as well when we're checking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

make sure everythings added up right. I know of someone who dropped a whole grade i.e. B1 to C1 as the examiner had added an extra question. this can work either way givin a better result aswell i suppose but do be careful of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

You can view any exam in your school, free of charge, no hassle. Does anyone know when the marking schemes come out? Or do we get them as well when we're checking?

Well I was told back in June that I should keep the papers for viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

They will be available in your school. However they are usually available to download from the Examination Commission's site a few days before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I'm getting four of mine rechecked. I am a bit worried that two of the ones I'm getting rechecked may be downgraded but since I failed the other two they can't get any lower.

Anyone know what date the appeal results are issued?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I'd definately recommend viewing your papers first. I looked at a few of mine back in 2002, I was a little dissapointed with my grade in Physics, C1 I think it was, so I looked at that - saw there were some small questions that I just knew were right that I didn't get any marks for, not even attempt marks! So I appealed that and suprisingly enough i went up two grades to a B2.

Quite disturbing that they could be that wrong. But I guess €2 euro a paper combined with massive pile of them to do doesn't encourage accuracy.

I was fairly sure I already had my college place at the time so there wasn't really any need to appeal it, and people took great pleasure in telling me it was pointless and stupid etc...but the way I saw it was - I spent two years going to that class I'm damn sure I'm gonna get what I deserve. Don't be afraid to appeal is the moral of this story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lol... I had a result upgraded in 2002 as well... Physics. Thought I had a fantastic exam... slightly gutted to come out with an A2 in the end. So I viewed my paper, and had my teacher there to check it. He thought it was marked really badly, so I applied for the recheck and I was upgraded to the A1. :)
    I didn't *need* to have it rechecked... only for myself. I had my place in college secured (I even had a UCD entrance scholarship)... but I wanted the grade I deserved on the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

The most common reason for changing a grade is an error in totting the marks, so always check that first when you are looking at your paper.

The most common reasons people do less well than they expected are still
    - not answering the question asked
    - not answering the correct selection of questions where there is a choice
    - leaving a question out

Make sure you double check you have not left out or failed to answer a question before appealing. Have a teacher have a look at your paper if you can, and ideally someone who has corrected themselves and knows what the various types of brackets round figures mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Quick question I am getting Chemistry rechecked as I need a C3 in it for my course and I got D1 in the exam and I thought that was my best one for the whole exam as I really felt good about it. The question is if the rechecked results come back in october what happens with college? Is there a round after the rechecks? Or are we shafted till the year after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

I was expecting a C in geography and I came out with an A2.

If I view it and see that the marks werent added up right and that I actually should have less do I have to tell some one? Or would they find out?

Its for peace of mind really I dont like feeling I got something I dont deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

deek wrote:
    I was expecting a C in geography and I came out with an A2.

If I view it and see that the marks werent added up right and that I actually should have less do I have to tell some one? Or would they find out?

Its for peace of mind really I dont like feeling I got something I dont deserve.
    No and no.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ok, the rough statistics for last year are that nearly 10,000 papers were rechecked, nearly 2000 were upgraded, and 8 were downgraded. So the chances are slim, but you do not want to be like one of those eight people, so view your paper with your teacher and see if they think it's worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

No I wont bother gettin it rechecked, I just want to view it to make sure that the reason I got my A wasnt because the examiner added my marks wrongly and gave me extra by accident.But even if that is the reason I wont do anything about it,just want to know.

But tbh if the examiner was just crazy and decided that my sh*tty paper deserved an A then,well.......yay :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Well done you for getting an A2 - don't be trying to find reasons why you shouldn't have got it - enjoy the fact that you did!

Advertisement