Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ProTools

Options
  • 17-08-2005 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a fully qualified ProTools Operator and have decided to begin this new thread which is specifically aimed at the usage of ProTools.

If you need to know what something does, or if you're looking for a shortcut for a particular action, feel free to post and I'll look into it for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

People could just read the manual..... but fair enough, I doubt yu'll get much traffic. Where do you work/what's your experience?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheStrandRoads

People could just read the manual
    I agree to an extent. If the answer to someone's question is blatantly obvious, then I'll be sure to tell them that the answer lies in the manual.

I'm talking about if there's any niggling issues at hand that they can't seem to find the answer to. But I'll try and answer any that are posted. ProTools has become industry standard and is continuing to grow amongst home musicians. I'm sure there'll be a few out there. No harm in trying anyway.

To answer your question regarding my background, I was first introduced to ProTools while I was enrolled in a Sound Engineering course in Dun Laoghaire College of Further Education . That was the 2002/2003 year and it was the very first year for that course in that college, so ProTools was pretty much double-dutch to everyone. There weren't many lectures in it either so I decided to buy myself a Digi 001 with ProTools as I figured I'd learn more by playing around with it. Which I did. It was mainly trial and error until I decided to become fully qualified in it (you're only gonna push yourself so far when you have it at such easy disposal at home...).

Suggestion: Maybe someone out there could start a similar thread for Cubase, Digital Performer and others. Again, just as a resource for awkward issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 smithy4mcavan

I agree to an extent. If the answer to someone's question is blatantly obvious, then I'll be sure to tell them that the answer lies in the manual.

I'm talking about if there's any niggling issues at hand that they can't seem to find the answer to. But I'll try and answer any that are posted. ProTools has become industry standard and is continuing to grow amongst home musicians. I'm sure there'll be a few out there. No harm in trying anyway.

To answer your question regarding my background, I was first introduced to ProTools while I was enrolled in a Sound Engineering course in Dun Laoghaire College of Further Education . That was the 2002/2003 year and it was the very first year for that course in that college, so ProTools was pretty much double-dutch to everyone. There weren't many lectures in it either so I decided to buy myself a Digi 001 with ProTools as I figured I'd learn more by playing around with it. Which I did. It was mainly trial and error until I decided to become fully qualified in it (you're only gonna push yourself so far when you have it at such easy disposal at home...).

Suggestion: Maybe someone out there could start a similar thread for Cubase, Digital Performer and others. Again, just as a resource for awkward issues.

Hi, an old post but none the less. Just wondering if I could ask you a question or two about Dun Laoghaire college (you mentioned you did a course there) and Protools ?
    :)
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Hi all,

I'm a fully qualified ProTools Operator and have decided to begin this new thread which is specifically aimed at the usage of ProTools.

If you need to know what something does, or if you're looking for a shortcut for a particular action, feel free to post and I'll look into it for you.
    Thanks to you, that is a good call and a generous offer. I used ProTools as a complete beginner for a project in the Cork school of music for a multimedia project.

I used proTools during this project and had to learn the hard way. I had to capture live music using different instuments like guitar, drums etc and mixed them with captured audio. It was a tough learning curve.

If I had your good self to help in this process at the time, It would have made life easier. Fair play to you. I hope folks take up your offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

I'm a complete noob to Pro tools. I've imported some audio files and the meters are registering them as they play, but there is no sound. In fact no sound from anything in pro tools.
    When I import the files to other editing programmes (Final Cut) they play no problem.
    I'm sure it's something really simple but I can't work out what - and google isn't helping. Have you any suggestions. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

you'll get a response from the Music Production forum a lot quicker than here.
    have you checked the obvious? Your speaker are conected to the Mbox/ Digi Rack rather than the PC soundcard yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

Thanks a million artvandulet.. I'm afraid I was overlooking the obvious! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

imho, there's always more to any utility than you'll find in the manual (dont any of you use windows? )

a very nice offer by the OP. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yes, but in 4 years, there's been like 7 posts :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hehe, didnt check the original post date... :)

wah! zombie thread!!! run for your lives!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Hi John,

my screen remains black no matter what I do. I cant see anything. can you tell me what to try?

ps can you tell me how to look up pron without leaving a footprint.

thanks,

the Rhino.

Advertisement