Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If all retail is rip off how does this happen?

Options
  • 17-08-2005 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/08/17/story216494.html

Just to try not to go mental at each other. If retailers are all meant to be raking in the profit why would a company need to close? Lets assume for discussions sake gross incompetence is ruled out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i never really found iceland very good.. they only have a large selection of frozen foods and sell a lot of stuff in bulk.. not somewhere i would got for weekley shopping.. more a place to pickup lots of cheap pizza's, burgers etc.. for a party or something

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They were not really competing in Ireland TBH.. They had feck all stores in Ireland and they did not advertise aggressively in the same fashion that Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Dunnes Stores do.. They advertise alot in the UK however.

And why do you say all retail is a rip off? What sort of margins do you consider a rip off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

And why do you say all retail is a rip off? What sort of margins do you consider a rip off?

I never really said it was a rip off but it is a common belief that retail is a rip off. I don't believe it personally. I think 10-15% is a decent margin but I know the likes of Tesco have up to 80% on certain goos especially their own brands

Advertisement