Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra- vs' Ford fiesta- Help

Options
  • 17-08-2005 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Have the choice of buying

1. Opel Corsa 1999, 5 door for €3,3000 48,000 miles on the clock with nct

OR

2. Ford Fiesta 1999, 5 door €3,000 31,000 mileas with nct

Not sure which one to go for anyone any driven both, which is more realiable??

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

I would go for the fiesta much better car. Great prices where are they from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭grasshopper

Found them on
    www.carzone.ie

another good site is
    www.cbg.ie

or

www.autotrade.ie

thanks for advise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Assuming the corsa is a 1.0, avoid at all costs. These 3 cylinder engines are bestdescribed as asthmatic. They don't take mileage well either. The fiesta is either a 1.3, which is a very old design but apart from an thirst for oil, cannot be killed, or a 1.25 zetec which is a cracker of an engine but needs meticulous servicing and the correct oil. Regardless of which engine is in the fiesta, it's the one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Go for the Fiesta! What alias said about the engines. They sure are very different

Good price presuming it is in a good condition. It will most likely be the 1.3 but let us know

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I had a 91 fiesta as my first motor and found it grand, 1L so not much poke but it was reliable and easy to run.
    My wife now as a 98 corsa and again is a very reliable and economical car which I have driven and found it lively enough.

Based on the cost and mileage I would prob go for the Fiesta especially if it is the 1.25 version as they are very quick car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭grasshopper

Hola,

The Ford Fiesta is a 1.2 Lx 1999 model - they any good

The Opel is 1.o

Thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have an '00 Fiesta zetec 1.25, and its 16 valve engine beats the ****e out of my ma's 2002 corsa (eh, engine wise, the interior of the corsa is way nicer). I get about 40mpg out of the fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Ford Fiesta is a 1.2 Lx 1999 model

No such thing mate. As outlined before, it is either a 1.25 or a 1.3:

1.25 16V 1242cc 75bhp
    1.3 8V 1299cc 60bhp

Check the tax disc - it will prove which one it is

For '99 they co-exist

As said, the 1.25 is very nippy compared to other small cars. It does 0-100km/h in 13s versus the corsa in 18s :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hola,

The Ford Fiesta is a 1.2 Lx 1999 model - they any good

The Opel is 1.o

Thanks for replies

Yeah, that is the 1.25 Fiesta which is definately the one to go for. The 1.25 16 valve engine was designed by Yamaha and has 75bhp which was and still pretty powerful for it's day. It is still used in the new Fiesta today and very reliable. Don't touch the 1.3 8 valve Fiesta as that engine originates back to the Ford Popular of the 1950s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I'd go for the Ford Fiasco over the Corsa.
    I know a couple who had a '99 Corsa and
    under a year old the engine gave up the ghost
    The engine was replaced but the car had loads of
    other problems subsequently.
    As well as that, the plastic body trim on many
    Corsas I see has lost its colour so it looks a naff gray
    after a few years. You'd think the manufacturer
    would have sorted that out by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I have a 96 Fiesta Zetec at the moment and its a great little car. Get c.41mpg on mixed driving, its nippy, good craic to drive, reliable. Recently got the timing belt done for €150 (with a private mechanic). Also passed NCT in July. Easy to service at home. Only fault I'm aware of is fluctuating revs around idle - either the throttle position sensor or a potentiometer. If getting from a garage, ensure its sorted before you pay up or under warranty.

Advertisement