Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL settings for wireless router

• 17-08-2005 12:59pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is getting a loan of a netgear wireless router ot try with his NTL connection before he makes a purchase. He has absolutely no experience of wireless stuff - would anyone be able to give me the necessary settings for the router plus anything else that he needs to do to get things going.

Its a Netgear wgt 634 as far as I know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

dub45 wrote:
    A friend of mine is getting a loan of a netgear wireless router ot try with his NTL connection before he makes a purchase. He has absolutely no experience of wireless stuff - would anyone be able to give me the necessary settings for the router plus anything else that he needs to do to get things going.

Its a Netgear wgt 634 as far as I know.

I have that exact model with my NTL works perfect. The setting up is easy.

The perfect way to instal is :-

Router First
    1. Plug the router into the LAN cable, with-out the NTL cable plugged in.
    2. Open IE and type 192.168.0.1, opens the Router Config
    3. Default passwords is Admin and password
    4. Go through the easy setup guide.
    5. As the NTL router is Auto IP config that what will be your choice!
    6. Wanna go mac specific its in the guide.
    7. Makesure you set up a network WEP or WPKA, as this is a powerful router and it radios about 200m alround your house (in a flat your will have happy leechers)

NTL
    1 After config:- powercycle your modem while plugged into main port on the router
    2. Makesure the lan from the PC to the router is in port 1 (if you want)
    3. then turn on router after NTL modem has all its lovely green lights
    4. Test it out on you PC
    5. The router will auto assign an IP to your PC and any other wireless devices

Note update the router if it asks !

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Drapper wrote:
    Note update the router if it asks !

Just to note, I would be extremely wary about the automatic firmware upgrade facility on the netgear routers. I had this very router and although I had upgraded the firmware may be 3 or 4 times successfully over the period that I had it. After one attempt where it had asked me after logging on to the router whether I would like to upgrade to the latest firmware, it didn't install it correctly and rendered it utterly useless. Just my two cents.

TC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thanks for the prompt replies. :)

Advertisement