Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fenlon warns of winter clear out at shels

• 17-08-2005 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Looks like Nutsy is sending out a message to Shelbourne players that there will be a clear out at the end of season due to players not producing the goods on the pitch. Its high time IMO, Shels with a very big squad of talented players have failed to deliver all season and one has to question whether nutsy is the right man for the job as well
    Fenlon warns Shels players of shake-up to come
    17/08/2005 - 10:59:09
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/08/17/story216486.html

Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon has warned his underachieving squad that there will be a clear out this winter after Shels’ conceded victory in the League to Cork City on Monday night.

Now 17 points behind Cork, Fenlon admitted that Shelbourne are now fighting for second and admitted that there will be changes this winter.

“Our aim for the rest of the season is to finish second and get into Europe. There are one or two who are maybe coming to their end of their time at Shels. That’s not a money thing – that has to do with desire and passion.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Well Cahill would be top of my clear-out list, I'm in two minds over Baker (can terrorise down the wings but then often does zero when he gets there..). Crawley... drives me absolutely batty by wasting/losing posession when going forward.. I imagine bobby ryan will be surplus to requirements too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

He says about "Passion and desire"; Jason Byrne better get his finger out! Joey Ndo is apparently not interested in training, so might be another. Glen Fitz will probably want to go. Ollie Cahill may well be sold off, as may Ryan. Jim Crawfords age may work against him, as may his persistent injuries this year.

It'll be interesting to see the least..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ya, i think if nothing else, cut the squad size in half for the finances alone. There's a lot of fringe players who we could do without.

Plus the smaller squad will facilitate some more sigings at the end of the season...most noteably harden up the defence, get more depth ,talent and competition in that area, and hopefully then this season will just be a hickup, and we'll be back to our best.

It's a shame he didn't say this before the cork game...could have fired the lads up a bit. But i wouldn't get rid of talented players for underachieveing or else you'd be getting rid of the likes of Baker, Byrne, Crowe (when he's good he's great, but to inconsistent) ... which obviously isn't going to happen...i think keep the good to very good players, get rid of all the squad and average players completely, and try to assemble a squad soley on a par with the talent our best already have, and better players again of course....easier said than done of course, but you've got to start by clearing out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Totally agree with the above. The amount of pretenders at the club is shocking.

Ndo hasnt been seem much of in a season, I think its time he packed his bags even
    though he has talent.

Flemming is far too old and has contributed little to Shels. I think he was a poor signing by Fenlon.

Ryan hasnt played much this season and I think he could be offloaded too.

Im not 100% sure about David Crawley. It would be great to have someone good on the ball in his position and a solid defender. It would make a change from Crawley:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its all very well saying that there will be a clear out, but are these players on long contracts, where they could possibly decide to stay put, and pick up the wages every week?

This could be true of players like Crawley, Cahill, Scouse, who other clubs wouldnt exactly be breaking the bank to sign.

• Advertisement

Flemming was bought as cover, and was tremendous at right back against Drogheda IMO. Hopefully will play left back on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

A clear out good idea, so take the best players in the league put them in one team then as someone hear predicted quite well too many superstars (think it was Gimmick way back when they took the 3 bohs players) spoil the somfin somfin.

Tbh you have the best team but as Collins is a decent coach it seems wherever he goes mayhem ensues the Phil Thompson effect. So if all these players get cleared out whos gonna come in?

Assuming you can have any player in the league who doesnt play for Cork?

kdjac

Maybe we should look outside ireland ??

jubbly wrote:
    Maybe we should look outside ireland ??

Like Brennan?

Maybe getting a new manager would solve all your problems.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    as someone hear predicted quite well too many superstars (think it was Gimmick way back when they took the 3 bohs players) spoil the somfin somfin.

;) Link

Though I think it was more down to cóckiness on Shels' behalf this season.

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:

Maybe getting a new manager would solve all your problems.

kdjac

Well Nutsy has made some tatical howlers this season coupled with the fact that he has made some terrible decisions as to who plays where. A new manager might sort it all out ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Can't see it happening before the start of next season but a poor start to the next campaign and Nutsy's head will be on the chopping board.

Williams

Delaney

--Heary
    Hawkins
    Scouse(x)
    Crawley(X)
    --Brennan(X)
    Harris(X)
    Doherty(X)
    Fleming(x)

--Baker(x)
    S. Byrne
    Ndo(X)
    Moore(x)
    --Ryan(X)
    Hoolahan
    Crawford(x)
    Cahill(X)-
    --Cawley(X)
    Reynolds
    Chambers

J. Byrne
    Crowe

Fitzpatrick(x)
    O'Neill

Rowe(X)

Key to understanding this complex chart I have devised:

(x): Players who will have to prove themselves in order to stay
    (X): Players who, for one reason or another, will/should leave Shelbourne at the end of the season.

Feel free to edit as you see necessary. I still feel Stewie, Jim Crawford and Alan Reynolds could do well for us provided they (1) look where they are passing, (2) stay free of injuries and (3) play, respectively.

Fairly widespread changes needed elsewhere though. Wes MUST stay, as must Gary O'Neill who deserves a better chance and Bomber Heary... well it goes without saying. Along with Hawkins, he has been my player of the season thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Jason Byrne better get his finger out! Joey Ndo is apparently not interested in training, so might be another.

Getting rid of the players with talent will solve nothing. If Fenlon sells Byrne I will not be held responsible for my actions (slang for I'll do nothing but I'll be quite unhappy).

It's not the talented players who've let us down, but the sh*t ones. Crawley, Baker, Cahill should be the first out. Crawford too if Reynolds proves himself, Fitzpatrick for his own sake, Doherty and Cawley the same and Flemming as he wont be upto it next year.

Get rid of the dross, not the talent. Getting rid of the good players is quite a stupid way to go about improving a team. The team should be build around Ndo! Nevermind dumping him. First name on the teamsheet without fail, the best player we have.

If we get rid of Ndo or Jason Byrne and expect that to solve anything we're in for some shock.

It is a complete joke in fact anyone has even suggested moving Byrne on, I know you weren't 100% serious there but some on the offical forum were. A complete and total bloody joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Slash/ED wrote:
    It's not the talented players who've let us down, but the sh*t ones.

totally agree mate...its time someone stood up to be counted..

For me baker has let us down the most followed closely by cahill and crawley...Its simply not good enough and just like kerr's job is on the line if we don't qualify for the wc,fenlon's should should be on the line if we don't qualify for europe next season...

dan :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Its an amazing squad when you look at it.

Maybe its just a bit too big ot be manageble.

3 players for one position.....wow we have like 3 players sharing 2 :(

kdjac

Slash/ED wrote:
    Getting rid of the players with talent will solve nothing. If Fenlon sells Byrne I will not be held responsible for my actions (slang for I'll do nothing but I'll be quite unhappy).

It's not the talented players who've let us down, but the sh*t ones. Crawley, Baker, Cahill should be the first out. Crawford too if Reynolds proves himself, Fitzpatrick for his own sake, Doherty and Cawley the same and Flemming as he wont be upto it next year.

Get rid of the dross, not the talent. Getting rid of the good players is quite a stupid way to go about improving a team. The team should be build around Ndo! Nevermind dumping him. First name on the teamsheet without fail, the best player we have.

If we get rid of Ndo or Jason Byrne and expect that to solve anything we're in for some shock.

It is a complete joke in fact anyone has even suggested moving Byrne on, I know you weren't 100% serious there but some on the offical forum were. A complete and total bloody joke.
    Aye sorry, I was just refering to the fact that Nutsy said "Passion and desire" were essential to staying. I don't WANT to see either of them go, but just saying they might be shock departures if Nutsy does go Hitler on their asses! :)

JoeSoap, Brennan left at the start of July. :) Also, Doherty is on loan with Waterford until his contracty with Shels has finished, so then he will be a free agent, and therefore I think is technically gone already too.

Fantastic squad but its all gone pear shaped. Nusty is making terrible decisions and the players arent producing the goods so something has to give.

I agree about getting rid of all the sh1t players and perhaps giving another season to players with the ability. Im not sure about Ndo though. Great player but when does he actually play and produce the goods ?

JoeSoap, Brennan left at the start of July.

Ah I was wondering where he had gone alright, he looked useless though.

Wasn't the best to say the least! Had clubs in League One fighting like mad over him, but don't think he signed for any of them. Last I heard, Pats were interested.

• Advertisement

Theyre welcome to him...

Last I heard, Pats were interested.

8/08/2005
    BRENNAN SIGNS
    John McDonnell has added former Newcastle United full-back Stephen Brennan to his squad for the rest of the season.

The former under 21 international goes straight into the squad for Saturday's game against Longford Town but is ineligible for the following week's cup tie against Sligo Rovers.

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?newsid=238

Free is free, bet hes bleedin deadly for us :D

kdjac

Odd signing, isn't Quighley still at Pats? Always thought he was a decent full back considering his size.

I was very dissapointed to see Brennan leave Shels as he was absolutely brutal everytime I saw him.

Perhaps he'll do better at Pats?

Don't think he could do much worse in fairness.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Odd signing, isn't Quighley still at Pats? Always thought he was a decent full back considering his size.

Prenderville 1sh choice RB Quigley been playing CM as ball getter as Caffrey is CB for a while.

Assuming Brennan does a job we now have a strong back with decent cover in every position. John Mac big fan of solid back four.

Hopefully finish the season strongly now.

Sligo next week :D

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Prenderville 1sh choice RB

That explains it then

Advertisement