Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minerals Rip OFF !!!

Options
  • 17-08-2005 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

i just realised that we are getting ripped off for minerals

Ballygowan 24X500Ml : 8:59 INcl VAT at 21%
    So there fore the unit price is .3579 so thats 35 cents per bottle

now i have seen it in many shops that one bottle of ballygowan is around 1:30

thats nearly 10 times the profit

****in rip off sure it comes outa the tap 4 free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Its not as simplistic to say that it comes out of a tap, in fact it doesn't even come into the equation, as I'm sure the price takes into account the bottling of the water and what not. (By the way, where did yo find that price.)

You do however have to take into account staff costs and refrigeration (in most shops anyway). In short, the price they buy it at is not the only money they pay for it...

However, your point is still valid insofar as the price of a half litre bottle of water is an absolute rip off. I guess you have to ask yourself, where do you go from here, now that you've come to this realisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Baz_ wrote:
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Its not as simplistic to say that it comes out of a tap, in fact it doesn't even come into the equation, as I'm sure the price takes into account the bottling of the water and what not. (By the way, where did yo find that price.)

You do however have to take into account staff costs and refrigeration (in most shops anyway). In short, the price they buy it at is not the only money they pay for it...

However, your point is still valid insofar as the price of a half litre bottle of water is an absolute rip off. I guess you have to ask yourself, where do you go from here, now that you've come to this realisation.

Be creative with Toilet Water

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bravo, well done. A huge step forward for humanity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dunnes stores:

500ml deep riverrock:79c
    2L st bernard water: 35c
    i get a big bottle for my lunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Sure you can pay 2 euro for a litre bottle of water in town. I'd rather go thirsty to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Minerals are things such as Zinc and Copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

No, it's nearly ten times more expensive. Given that you don't know how much either of the items cost the retailer, you cannot make any valid statements regarding relative profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Ballygowan 24X500Ml : 8:59 INcl VAT at 21%
    So there fore the unit price is .3579 so thats 35 cents per bottle

now i have seen it in many shops that one bottle of ballygowan is around 1:30

****in rip off sure it comes outa the tap 4 free

I'd say he got it from Musgraves - and yes, it is very accurate. Mineral water is much cheaper than, say, Coke to buy from wholesalers - yet in the shops it managed to attain the same price. Bizarre! Though I have whined about it at least once on here before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭billstraighten

Neuro wrote:
    Given that you don't know how much either of the items cost the retailer, you cannot make any valid statements regarding relative profits.

Yes thats the price the retailer gets it at and musgraves get it at around a fiver a case but thats coz they order around 17000 bottles a week

you found me noel

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

If the unit price 35 cents per bottle

and the selling proffit is 1.30

thats not nearly 10 times the profit.
    The gross profit is 95 cent or 3 times the cost price or 75% of the selling price.
    Gross profit is only half of the equation though.

This water was probably chilled, so the cost of electricity to the fridge must be added on.
    and the cost of the fridge itself.( might get it free from companies.
    The rent and rates for the premisisi on which the fridge is stored.
    Then there's the cost of insurace in case you slip near the fridge and bang your head off the fridge door and sue ( you mightn't but a lot of people would and do and hence really high public liability insurance)

Then I assume that you brought the bottle of mineral water to a shop assistand, well guess what that person has to be paid so that's more costs.

so without knowing how much all those and more costs are ther is no way of knowing the net profit that a shop makes on a bottle of mineral water.

If you don;t like the price a show charges. Find another shop, or but a water bottle and fill up from the tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

i was in the ugc yesterday and stuck 2 euro in the vending machine for a bottle of Ballygowan 500ml and i pressed the button and it shows up 2.20 on the little lcd screen and then i put the extra 20c in :mad: its such a ripoff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

If it's such a rip off then why do you pay it???

check the prices before you pay.
    If you think it's a rip off don't pay.

As long as people continue to pay high prices then people will continue to charge them. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

As long as people continue to pay high prices then people will continue to charge them. And rightly so.

And thats the way the capitalist pigs like it too.

As sparkylarks says, if you don't like the price, don't pay, its as simple and hard as that.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Minerals are things such as Zinc and Copper.

You must be an outsider - don't you know that irish people have been drinkin cans and bottles of mineral for many many years. Soft drinks are for softies - real people drink minerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

now i have seen it in many shops that one 500ML bottle of ballygowan is around 1:30
    Which makes it twice as expensive as petrol.

Maybe Bush should have invaded Ireland instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Just back from Nice.

Just like here it depends where you buy. Water could be bought for €4 or €0.37 depending on brand and place. Spirits were cheaper in the shops but more expensive in the bars than here as was beer.

Minerals is a colloquialism get over it. It comes from mineral water
    http://www.allwords.com/query.php?SearchType=3&Keyword=mineral%20water

Advertisement