Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and pints

• 17-08-2005 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before but someone on fashion and appearance brought it up in some thread so I just wanted to throw it out here.

Why do some people find it "unattractive" for a women to drink a pint?

Seriously,I just don't see the problem with it! And for the people who say we should drink half pints,I ask you this,WHY? It just means going to the bar twice as much! What's the point?

Please share..... :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I concur. Nothing wrong with it once she doesn't have a beer belly! ;) Half pints end up costing more and involve more walking, which is ok if she has a nice ass I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I don't see the problem either although personally, I don't drink pints much anymore. It's only people above 50 that I've heard giving out about it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

it's unattractive because they should be back in the kitchen :)

I prefer when a girl orders a pint

really hate when they order a vodka and diet coke (I hate the diet part!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm sure it costs more to be drinking halves all the time as well, so as well as sending the poor bloke to the bar more often its costing him more as well. :rolleyes:

And its harder to carry a round of different size glasses back from the bar, makes things miuch easier if everyone just sticks to the pints and makes the rounds easier to remember as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Yeah my mam thinks its horrible to see a woman drinking a pint (Its not lady like) but like Simu, i havent heard anyone under 50 moaning about it. Cant beat an aul pint bottle of Bulmers with loads of ice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

id say its just the macho thing, guys think they're great when they can drink x number of pints but if a woman orders pints they're afraid of being shown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

robinph wrote:
    I'm sure it costs more to be drinking halves all the time as well, so as well as sending the poor bloke to the bar more often its costing him more as well. :rolleyes:
    Sorry to call you on this one but it was hard to resist....
    I'd be more concerned about my trip to the bar rather than sending a bloke to get it for me. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I will own up to the fact that it was me that wrote it in the fashion forum.

Firstly it was taken out of context. My comment was that I hate the look of a girl sitting down in front of a pint with a tight top on with beer belly and love handles hanging out from under her top and over her belt like someone squeezing a water balloon. Thats it! Thats what I dont like! If a girl has a weight problem, why flaunt it in those tops? why not dress respectably? Why not try to reduce the beer you drink instead of guzzseling it like you have to proove you can handle a night with the boyo's.

I love to sit down with a girlfriend and have a pint with her, I would prefer it to her drinking wine and being arse faced after two drinks, but not at that cost. Now before I get all the replies saying all girls that drink pints arent fat, yes I know that, there not! I am talking about the ones that are, and that drink pints and make no attempt at hiding it. If the roles were reversed and you were in a nightclub looking at a guy in a tight top with his gut stuck out the bottom of his top you might say the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Social77

Ah Lady J i'm begging you to give up the pints,you know i love you and i'm telling you this for your own good.The pints will catch up with you,drinking them is neither big nor clever.
    Science, which has long focused on the effects of alcohol on men and boys, has been playing catch-up on you lovely ladies as well. Simple observation tells us that women tend to get drunk more quickly than men. Now we're learning precisely why: women's bodies have a higher ratio of fat to water, so alcohol is less diluted when it enters the bloodstream. They also have lower levels of an enzyme that helps break down alcohol. Emerging research shows that liquor also corrodes women's bodies more quickly. As adults, women tend to develop liver disease 10 to 15 years earlier than men, even if women consume only a fraction of the daily alcohol that men do.
    Don't get me wrong Lady J,if i were selfish i'd let you drink the pints and then i'd go over and take advantage by kissing the face of you when you were three sheets to the wind,but i'm not selfish so i'm gonna plead once more,STOP WITH THE PINTS BUDDY

Tbh,I'd just suggest he excercise more!

• Advertisement

Social77 wrote:
    Ah Lady J i'm begging you to give up the pints,you know i love you and i'm telling you this for your own good.The pints will catch up with you,drinking them is neither big nor clever.
    Science, which has long focused on the effects of alcohol on men and boys, has been playing catch-up on you lovely ladies as well. Simple observation tells us that women tend to get drunk more quickly than men. Now we're learning precisely why: women's bodies have a higher ratio of fat to water, so alcohol is less diluted when it enters the bloodstream. They also have lower levels of an enzyme that helps break down alcohol. Emerging research shows that liquor also corrodes women's bodies more quickly. As adults, women tend to develop liver disease 10 to 15 years earlier than men, even if women consume only a fraction of the daily alcohol that men do.
    Don't get me wrong Lady J,if i were selfish i'd let you drink the pints and then i'd go over and take advantage by kissing the face of you when you were three sheets to the wind,but i'm not selfish so i'm gonna plead once more,STOP WITH THE PINTS BUDDY
    O...K.....
    Tbh,I don't drink pints all that much because I don't really like beer. However,I do drink them when I'm broke. I'm fully aware that in most cases women are physically less able to hold their drink,but that wasn't my point. That just means they should drink less pints,not that they shouldn't drink them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I've already posted in another thread that I find girls who drink pints attractive and I make no apology for it. Besides, who cares? I drink rum n coke instead of pints sometimes. Does this make me, as a bloke, more or less attractive to the opposite sex?

Give over, there's more to it than that.
    Anyone who has a problem with girls drinking pints obviously doesn't have any big problems...

SebtheBum wrote:
    Give over, there's more to it than that.
    Anyone who has a problem with girls drinking pints obviously doesn't have any big problems...

Is that a bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i've been drinking pints since i was 17, thats 8 yrs of drinking pints. the only comment people made was that the pint was bigger than me. (it wasnt)

the lads i drink with would kill me if i decided to not drink the pints, we all drink the same pints, rounds are easier that way.

i used to drink pints of murphy's in college alright but gave them up as i started to put on weight.

but i've never heard of it being unattractive in a girl.

joejoem wrote:
    Is that a bad thing?
    My point was that people look for problems when they don't have "bigger fish to fry" so to speak. You look for something to grate, irritate, annoy... It's a part of being alive. Nobody is ever truly content.

Anyway, I have bigger problems to worry about than having a problem with women drinking pints, and I'm sure other ppl do too. It's just not that big a deal, you see what I'm trying to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

in my opinion it is one of the sexiest things i can see about a woman. if she has a big pint in her hand (esp guinness) i go mad! and then if they play computer games i'm in heaven!

danniemcq wrote:
    in my opinion it is one of the sexiest things i can see about a woman. if she has a big pint in her hand (esp guinness) i go mad! and then if they play computer games i'm in heaven!

Ooooh, be wary of the female who enjoys gaming satisfaction, my young apprentice!!!
    They just end up kickin' your ass at your favourite games. It's... unsettling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

Pints are for men, glasses are for women. Simple.

cotillion wrote:
    How dya figure that one?
    God been talking to ya?

SebtheBum wrote:
    My point was that people look for problems when they don't have "bigger fish to fry" so to speak. You look for something to grate, irritate, annoy... It's a part of being alive. Nobody is ever truly content.

Anyway, I have bigger problems to worry about than having a problem with women drinking pints, and I'm sure other ppl do too. It's just not that big a deal, you see what I'm trying to say?

I get you. Ive made my point though, this has just spiralled out of context, my original point of girls with love handles and how they should calm down on pints (at least that was the meaning of my post) has well and truley gone.

Although it was in another forum anyway!

• Advertisement

joejoem wrote:
    I get you. Ive made my point though, this has just spiralled out of context, my original point of girls with love handles and how they should calm down on pints (at least that was the meaning of my post) has well and truley gone.

Although it was in another forum anyway!
    I only used your point in F and A as an example. This thread was merely inspired by your comment,I'm not having a go at you or anything. It just got me thinking is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I guess it all just comes down to personal opinion.

Personally, i find girls drinking pints pretty unattractive.
    Especially if they're drinking guiness....*shudder*

That's just my personal opinion.

cotillion wrote:
    Yeah, just like you pal. Simple.

rb_ie wrote:
    I guess it all just comes down to personal opinion.

Personally, i find girls drinking pints pretty unattractive.
    Especially if they're drinking guiness....*shudder*

That's just my personal opinion.
    I just don't get what's so unattractive about drinking from a bigger glass. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I dunno, I don't care when women drink pints...

But I don't like when a woman with me is drinking a pint, and drinking half my pace, and then when she's finishing it off it's almost warm...

Much better if the lad buys a pint, girl a class/bottle, yas both finish together and then send her off to buy the next round :D

And women drinking pints at the same rate as men (ie. 8+ on a night out) I wouldn't be into that! (basically I wouldn't find a lager lout girl attractive to me)

but... a girl drinking a handful of pints over a decent period, maintaining her FEMININITY while not letting the pint become too luke-warm... that's do'able ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

One of the sexiest things I've seen was a girl drinking a half pint of guinness, it just looked hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DBITCH

Mr Rivers wrote:
    One of the sexiest things I've seen was a girl drinking a half pint of guinness, it just looked hot!

You dont get out much do you??

chump wrote:
    But I don't like when a woman with me is drinking a pint, and drinking half my pace, and then when she's finishing it off it's almost warm...
    What do you care if someone else's pint is warm???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

LadyJ wrote:
    Sorry to call you on this one but it was hard to resist....
    I'd be more concerned about my trip to the bar rather than sending a bloke to get it for me. :p

I wouldn't care what you bought yourself on your round though, so long as you come back with a pint for me I'd be happy. :D

• Advertisement

Mr Rivers wrote:
    Phew, I'm so glad someone agrees, I was beginnin to think there was somethin f**kin wrong with me...

Do you know why LadyJ ... it's because I just do!

:D (for LadyJ)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

SebtheBum wrote:
    Phew, I'm so glad someone agrees, I was beginnin to think there was somethin f**kin wrong with me...
    Nope, I actually stopped in passing! Gunniess looks cute in a tall glass

chump wrote:
    Do you know why LadyJ ... it's because I just don't!
    You don't care?
    You said you did care. :confused:

LadyJ wrote:
    You don't care?
    Trying to argue with the inconsistent is like a broken pencil...

Pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

When women first began drinking pints it looked a bit odd as there were very few of them around so they stood out and of course we associated pints very much with men. Of course it is relatively not that long since women themselves would not be seen in pubs. Seeing that and seeing them drinking pints is now a very common and accepted sight. Still even now, we still associate pints more with men in the same way we'd associate drinking a glass of wine in a pub, and many other drinks, with women. There is nothing wrong with it, bit we still think that way anyhow and there is nothing wrong with that either.

• Advertisement

I just find the whole idea that women shouldn't drink pints as out-dated and ridiculous as saying that we shouldn't wear trousers.

LadyJ wrote:
    You don't care?

Sorry LadyJ I rectified my mistake...

Now I'll ask you a few questions...

Do you like warm beer?
    Do you find it annoying when drinking with just someone else, and buying rounds, when both parties consumption rate are unequal?
    Do you find small ladies who drink pints at the same rate as men, and as many unattractive?

LadyJ wrote:
    I just don't get what's so unattractive about drinking from a bigger glass. :confused:

I suppose it's because pints are seen as being masculine, therefore girls drinking them would be seen to be slightly masculine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Nothing unattractive about a woman drinking a pint. An unattractive woman drinking a pint on the other hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

women should stick to their bacardi breezers and smirnoff ice. They don't look right with a pint in their hands. Even if it's a pint of bacardi breezers and smirnoff ice.

• Advertisement

Mr Rivers wrote:
    Gunniess looks cute in a tall glass

have you ever seen it in a shot glass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dg-8

joejoem wrote:
    My comment was that I hate the look of a girl sitting down in front of a pint with a tight top on with beer belly.
    Perhaps you should take a look at this article on the BBC, which says that "startling as it may seem, beer is less, not more, fattening than wine". Naturally the amount and strength of the beer is an issue. However, the number of calories in a pint of "lite" beer will be comparable to that in a large glass of Chardonnay. Of course, alcohol in general is unhealthy. But based on that reasoning, none of us should be drinking pints, regardless of our sex.

Secondly, why are you so concerned about what others eat/drink? I sincerely hope that when you get older and you suffer "middle-age spread" like the majority of men, you won't mind strangers objecting to what you consume in your free time. If the eating habits or appearance of other complete strangers, which should have no bearing on you at all, still disturbs you, then you're probably the one with issues.

chump wrote:

Do you like warm beer?

Not particularly but whether my drink goes warm or not shouldn't affect anyone else.
    Do you find it annoying when drinking with just someone else, and buying rounds, when both parties consumption rate are unequal?
    I tend to be able to keep up but on the occasions that I can't I buy my own drinks and hey presto,problem solved!
    Do you find small ladies who drink pints at the same rate as men, and as many unattractive?
    Small ladies? What? No,I honestly don't see a problem if they can handle it but if they can't then they should just drink less pints. Drink more slowly. Who says we all have to start and finish drinks at exactly the same time when we go out? That's just crazy talk!

rb_ie wrote:
    I suppose it's because pints are seen as being masculine, therefore girls drinking them would be seen to be slightly masculine.
    It's this perception that is out-dated. Pints are simply larger glasses. End of story. Do women look unattractive drinking a large milkshake in Eddie Rockets?

akindoc wrote:
    women should stick to their bacardi breezers and smirnoff ice. They don't look right with a pint in their hands. Even if it's a pint of bacardi breezers and smirnoff ice.

should they stay in the kitchen 2? it sounds very sexist

Well, here's a question.
    I'm a bloke and sometimes I drink rum n coke (hey, that rhymes!) instead of pints. Tbh I prefer it. Does this make me less attractive to women?

LadyJ wrote:
    Not particularly but whether my drink goes warm or not shouldn't affect anyone else.

True it shouldn't, but I'm not attracted to women with poor taste.

LadyJ wrote:
    I tend to be able to keep up but on the occasions that I can't I buy my own drinks and hey presto,problem solved!
    Ye, but if you're with a girl, as a couple for example, it's a pain in the ass...
    LadyJ wrote:
    Small ladies? What? No,I honestly don't see a problem if they can handle it but if they can't then they should just drink less pints. Drink more slowly. Who says we all have to start and finish drinks at exactly the same time when we go out? That's just crazy talk!
    Ladies in general are smaller than males, true enough (altho. increasingly less in the belly area). For a lady half the size as a fella drinking as many pints at the same pace as a man - I find that unattractive. And then with the latter part of what you said we come back to the poor taste = unattractive tepid beer argument.

In summary, women can indeed drink beer and pull it off. But many women just come across as mucksavages when they're downing the pints :D

[stirr stirr, stirrrrrr it up]

SebtheBum wrote:
    Well, here's a question.
    I'm a bloke and sometimes I drink rum n coke (hey, that rhymes!) instead of pints. Tbh I prefer it. Does this make me less attractive to women?
    OMG seb,are you crazy?!
    I wouldn't even touch off Johnny Depp with someone else's if he drank rum and coke! :rolleyes:

LadyJ wrote:
    Who says we all have to start and finish drinks at exactly the same time when we go out? That's just crazy talk!

Yeah since when was going for a few drinks a competition?!Ya drink at a pace you're comfortable with, anyone who has a problem with that pace should go fcuk themselves cause its not their business.

LadyJ wrote:
    OMG seb,are you crazy?!
    I wouldn't even touch off Johnny Depp with someone else's if he drank rum and coke! :rolleyes:
    LOL, good answer!
    Oh well, back to the pints I go... *sigh* :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement