Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and pints

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

rb_ie who ever said it was a competition? (constructing false arguments to defend are you?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

chump wrote:
    True it shouldn't, but I'm not attracted to women with poor taste.
    Yeah whatever.

Ye, but if you're with a girl, as a couple for example, it's a pain in the ass...
    What kind of women are you going out with that you aren't comfortable enough with them to just solve the problem the simple way by just going to the bar for your own drinks if the pace is out of sync?

Ladies in general are smaller than males, true enough (altho. increasingly less in the belly area). For a lady half the size as a fella drinking as many pints at the same pace as a man - I find that unattractive. And then with the latter part of what you said we come back to the poor taste = unattractive tepid beer argument.

In summary, women can indeed drink beer and pull it off. But many women just come across as mucksavages when they're downing the pints :D

[stirr stirr, stirrrrrr it up]
    You see,why is it so important to you to finish your drink at the same time as your partner? This is weird.
    I bet that a hot celebrity drinking a pint wouldn't bother you or change your opinion on them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

My Granddad hates to see a woman drinking from a pint glass , says it's not lady like, mind you he also says that women shouldn't be in the bar , thats what the lounge is for.

Myself i don't consider it sexy or horrible , People drink what they want , in whatever container they want.

myself i don't like with when peeps ask for the "Diet" Coke/7up with thier drink.

Just makes me laugh.

but a little tip for any girls ( or guys) who want to watch the weight but still enjoy a good tipple is Sazenbrau ( spelling ???) is the best beer for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

ah its the same sort of shíte(well kinda) you get if your're a man drinking fat frogs or something. "get a real drink ya woman... rawr"

doesn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

chump wrote:
    rb_ie who ever said it was a competition? (constructing false arguments to defend are you?)

You're the one who brought up the "unequal rate of consumption".
    LadyJ wrote:
    It's this perception that is out-dated. Pints are simply larger glasses. End of story. Do women look unattractive drinking a large milkshake in Eddie Rockets?

You're right, it is an out-dated perception.
    It depends though, because a woman drinking a pint of beer(or especially guinness), by this perception, would been seen as slightly masculine.
    But a woman drinking a pint of like bacardi breezer, again by this perception, would be seen as feminine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dg-8

chump wrote:
    True it shouldn't, but I'm not attracted to women with poor taste.
    To be honest, I'm sure the female population of Ireland aren't particularly bothered about not receiving the attention of a guy who'll judge them by the temperature of their drink.

Agreed that warm beer isn't pleasant, but are you honestly saying that you've never had a warm pint? Ever?
    chump wrote:
    Ye, but if you're with a girl, as a couple for example, it's a pain in the ass...
    The same thing can happen with any combination of drinks. If a guy drinks a pint and his partner has wine, why do you assume that they'll finish at the same time? If he orders steak in a restaurant, should she order salad to ensure that they both finish on time? Seriously, if it's a major problem, stay single.
    chump wrote:
    But many women just come across as mucksavages when they're downing the pints.
    So do many men. What's your point again? You'll need to do some better stirring...

If I order a pint(e) will that make it feminine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

The older generation just think its "unlady like" for a woman to drink a pint.

I am of the opinion its headache when you have pints with women "and they try to keep up" they are too drunk half way into their third pint. Which is very annoying. I have no problem with a woman having a pint at her own pace - but women - I drink/drank with have rarely paced themselves.

I don't find it any more or less attractice if a lady drinks a pint or not.

OK so while a woman drinking a glass/bottle (who doesn't drink like a mucksavage) will likely finish the drink at the same rate as man drinking pint and therefore get the benefits of a beer at a decent temperature plus the benefit of 1 trip to the bar instead of two ... you try to make it appear that this is nonsensical logic?

• Advertisement

Basically you people seem to be saying
    WOMEN DRINK PINTS BECAUSE MEN DO

EQUALITY

Even though it often makes more sense for them not to?

Tbh,I down bottles far faster than men can drink pints. Alco-pops are like lemonade.

chump wrote:
    Basically you people seem to be saying
    WOMEN DRINK PINTS BECAUSE MEN DO

EQUALITY

Even though it often makes more sense for them not to?
    You can't use the "it makes no sense" argument because really it's pretty nonsensical that you feel it has some kind of effect on you if women drink pints. If a woman was adamant that you wait until she is finished before you get another drink then it would matter.But most women aren't like that so everyone should really just drink whatever the hell the like at whatever pace they like.

Exactly... and it makes sense for non-mucksavage women, with good taste (dont like warm beer), to drink bottles or halfs - if they choose to drink beer. Provided of course they can afford paying for slightly more expensive bottles/halfs...

I can't believe you just agreed with me LadyJ

chump wrote:
    Exactly... and it makes sense for non-mucksavage women, with good taste (dont like warm beer), to drink bottles or halfs - if they choose to drink beer. Provided of course they can afford paying for slightly more expensive bottles/halfs...

I can't believe you just agreed with me LadyJ
    I didn't agree with you at all.
    I don't know how you figure that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

At the end of the day, does it really matter?
    No.

• Advertisement

chump wrote:
    OK so while a woman drinking a glass/bottle (who doesn't drink like a mucksavage) will likely finish the drink at the same rate as man drinking pint and therefore get the benefits of a pint at a decent temperature plus the benefit of 1 trip to the bar instead of two ... you try to make it appear that this is nonsensical logic?
    Unfortunately your "logic" is based on several flawed assumptions:
    1. That all men drink at a standard rate. What are you basing this on? Many people like to drink beers that don't taste like piss and actually (believe it or not) enjoy them at their own pace (i.e. not "drinking like a mucksavage").
    2. Related to this, you assume that all pints are the same. Would you drink a pint of 5.5% beer at the same pace as a pint of Piss Lite? Hopefully not.
    3. You assume that bottles are always cold. Try get a bottle of Miller/Bud in a busy bar on Saturday night. Chances are that it's only been in the fridge for 5 minutes.
    4. Why do you assume people cannot go to the bar on their own? Is it really that difficult to get a pint for yourself?
    Seriously, in any random group of people, it's extremely unlikely that everyone in that group will drink at the same rate, have the same metabolism or tolerance for alcohol. So generalisations saying that "all men can drink X" but "all women should not drink X" are just nonsense based on cultural ignorance. I just think that people are surprised that this kind of rubbish still persists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Women don't drink pints because men do.
    Women drink pints for the same reason that men do.

and anyone who is/was in college should definitely not have a problem wit this.
    practically 90% of female students drink pints!!!

and if anyone reasons that women shouldn't drink pints, then we shouldn't be allowed to drink vodka, gin or rum, can't see a fellah agreein to that when he hits a niteclub.

LadyJ wrote:
    I didn't agree with you at all.
    I don't know how you figure that one.

yeah I'm confused too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

I'm stunned to think that there are alleged men who think that women shouldn't drink pints beause it's unattractive. Well, here'a a bit of news, women do not exist for the sole purpose of attracting you personally.
    How attractive do you think you look drinking a pint? Or eating a cheese sanger? Never considered it?
    Bingo

Al Murray, teh pub landlord reckons that women shouldn't drink pints, or even beer, just "wine or fruit based drinks for the laydeeeeeeeeeeez"
    And we all know what kind of a twerp he is. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

SebtheBum wrote:
    Yeah, just like you pal. Simple.
    I have a different opinion than you so you call me simple? What does that say about your intellect?

Anyway pints are for men, just like alcopops are a girls drink. Although I couldn't really care.

• Advertisement

dg-8 ... I don't know what land your living in, but people often finish drinks at around the same time. We can become pendantic if we choose but I'd rather not.

The college person - I drank cans in college, as did the girls, I don't have a problem with that - I never said I did... money matters at the end of the day.

Fact is the original poster asked what could be found unattractive about a women drinking pints, and I put forth an argument.

The argument went a little like this...

Women, if monied, are as well buying halfs/bottles which are cool and fresh if they drink these at roughly the same rate as a man drinks his beverage

Women, if mucksavage-like, may well drink their pints at the same rate as men and may drink as many - that IMO is unattractive

Women, may buy pints and drink at a slower rate than men, which means stale pint and more trips to the bar if in small group (or getting drink every second round). In the latter case it could be found unattractive (definetely a tenuous point) that a girl would rather sip on a warm pint, instead of getting two halfs...

Sin é (iad) my points...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Women, if mucksavage-like, may well drink their pints at the same rate as men and may drink as many - that IMO is unattractive

so what you are saying is that my girlfriend is a muck savage!!!
    fu<k that...

Did I not say may well ... it's possible your gf is a mucksavage and doesn't drink like that

@chump

so your point is basically it is an unconvinced for a woman to drink from a pint glass(going to the bar, warm pints). dont see how that makes it unattractive.

but hey, if its unattractive to you what can ya do. Means less competition for me :)

chump wrote:
    Women, if monied, are as well buying halfs/bottles which are cool and fresh if they drink these at roughly the same rate as a man drinks his beverage

Women, may buy pints and drink at a slower rate than men, which means stale pint and more trips to the bar if in small group (or getting drink every second round). In the latter case it could be found unattractive (definetely a tenuous point) that a girl would rather sip on a warm pint, instead of getting two halfs....
    Calling my argument "pedantic" doesn't make it any less true, you just avoided it. My basic point is that people (men and women) drink at different rates - a woman can drink at the same rate as here male friends without being a "mucksavage" as you call it (seriously, what does that even mean, beyond a term you have for abusing people?). Beyond that, bottles/pints are not always the same temperature and people do not always buy drinks in rounds.

It seems like you're just trying to rationalise your own gender biases and your vision of what is "attractive". Everybody has their own opinion on this matter, but stop trying to pretend that there is some rationality behind your prejudices.

As other people have rightly said, what does it matter what women drink? As long as they're not causing harm to you, it's their own business.

@ eyebrows
    My main point is I don't find girls who drink 8+ pints a night at the same rate as men attractive.

The other point is a bit wishy-washy :D

chump wrote:
    @ eyebrows
    My main point is I don't find girls who drink 8+ pints a night at the same rate as men attractive.

The other point is a bit wishy-washy :D
    Ahh, the truth emerges :)

woman drinking many pints = "mucksavage" = woman unattractive to Chump.

No need for any rationalisation, was there? To be honest, nobody is at their best after 8+ pints.

dg-8 wrote:
    Calling my argument "pedantic" doesn't make it any less true, you just avoided it. My basic point is that people (men and women) drink at different rates - a woman can drink at the same rate as here male friends without being a "mucksavage" as you call it (seriously, what does that even mean, beyond a term you have for abusing people?). Beyond that, bottles/pints are not always the same temperature and people do not always buy drinks in rounds.
    OK, I'll fight through your points...
    People drink at different rates - I agree
    "a woman can drink at the same rate as here male friends without being a "mucksavage" as you call it" - I agree, some men drink quite slow. My argument was based on generalisations. Men drinking pint in 20-30mins (8+ a night), as stated previously
    mucksavage isn't an abusive term. It's a term I use for describing lager-loutish broad shouldered ladies, who are quite masculine.
    "people do not always buy drinks in rounds." - not always, but often
    "bottles/pints are not always the same temperature" - in a good establishment they would be, perhaps +/- 3 degC
    dg-8 wrote:
    It seems like you're just trying to rationalise your own gender biases and your vision of what is "attractive". Everybody has their own opinion on this matter, but stop trying to pretend that there is some rationality behind your prejudices.
    Gender biases - Is what I'd call gender differentiation. Men are men. Women are women. Let's generalize. Women smaller, smaller frames. Women drinking as much as men - not attractive to me. I like my women to be different to men.
    "your vision of what is "attractive"" - is just that, my vision.
    "rationality behind your prejudices." - what prejudices? That I'm not attracted to manly women?
    This thread was about what men (I'm a man, barely perhaps) find possibly unattractive about certain female pint drinkers.
    dg-8 wrote:
    As other people have rightly said, what does it matter what women drink? As long as they're not causing harm to you, it's their own business.
    It doesn't matter. Was the point of this thread not asking for opinion?
    Of course they aren't causing harm to me. Of course it's their own business. Are we stating the obvious?

Chump,fair enough if in your opinion women who drink pints are unattractive. However,you seem to think that these women are loutish and heavy. I'm tall and slim as they come and I can drink around 6 or 7 pints in a night-though mostly I don't tbh. Granted,I'll be fairly drunk but not really,really bad. And I'm not masculine in the slightest.

@Chump

Fine, of course you're entitled to your opinion. Nobody said lager-loutish people of either sex are attractive (though "mucksavage" is hardly anything other than a term of abuse). But you're assuming that every woman who drinks pints is a lout and masculine. The former is certainly not true, the latter is just your opinion, which sums up your contribution to this thread.

I hope that you won't meet your ideal woman, only to discover that she likes to drink a quiet pint after work on a Friday. Otherwise you'll be in quite a quandry. Hopefully instead you'll find a good God-fearing woman who believes, like you, that pints/football/trousers/work etc are for men. Good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Social77

chump wrote:
    OK, I'll fight through your points...
    People drink at different rates - I agree
    "a woman can drink at the same rate as here male friends without being a "mucksavage" as you call it" - I agree, some men drink quite slow. My argument was based on generalisations. Men drinking pint in 20-30mins (8+ a night), as stated previously
    mucksavage isn't an abusive term. It's a term I use for describing lager-loutish broad shouldered ladies, who are quite masculine.
    "people do not always buy drinks in rounds." - not always, but often
    "bottles/pints are not always the same temperature" - in a good establishment they would be, perhaps +/- 3 degC

Gender biases - Is what I'd call gender differentiation. Men are men. Women are women. Let's generalize. Women smaller, smaller frames. Women drinking as much as men - not attractive to me. I like my women to be different to men.
    "your vision of what is "attractive"" - is just that, my vision.
    "rationality behind your prejudices." - what prejudices? That I'm not attracted to manly women?
    This thread was about what men (I'm a man, barely perhaps) find possibly unattractive about certain female pint drinkers.

It doesn't matter. Was the point of this thread not asking for opinion?
    Of course they aren't causing harm to me. Of course it's their own business. Are we stating the obvious?

Are you telling me that if Tara Reid and Lady J came up to you and started flirting with you you'd say"hang on a second girls,i actually wouldnt mind a threesome but theres just one little thing i have to ask you first,do you ladies drink the pints?
    Lady J and Tara Reid:Yes hunky we do,but we hope to be drinking something of yours later on baby
    Chump:Sorry girls,i dont associate with the pint drinkers,on your way girls,i see a lovely average looking girl over there drinking a g+t,now buzz off
    You're a liar chumpy

Social77,you have very good knowledge of contemporary film stars for a 70 year old!
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

But sure, men swilling down pints makes them feminine: Emotional, unbalanced, can't drive. (Disclaimer: This joke does not reflect the view of the poster, it just kept popping into his head as he read this)

I don't find women drinking pints unattractive, but if some fellas do I say fair enough. It's no more ridiculious than some of the other reasons people have for finding someone attractive/unattractive.
    As for Chump, I can imagine having someone **** up what is obviously a well laid system of rounds could be annoying, but I've never really been into the whole rounds thing myself.

Oh gawd. How many times do I have to spell it out...

I'm not attracted to girls who drinks pints at the same rate and same amount (8+) on a night out... That's what I said.

I also said I have no problem with girls who drink pints.

I also said whats the point on a girl drinking a pint if she's going to drink it very slowly over the time a bloke has 2 pints, as she'd be as well off getting two halfs...

They are the points I made.

My girlfriend would drink pints from time to time...
    I went to college where we all dranks cans.

Can you people base your accusations on what I actually said, and not what your brief perusal...

Let's look at what was said ... and

Social77 said:
    "
    Chump:Sorry girls,i dont associate with the pint drinkers,on your way girls,i see a lovely average looking girl over there drinking a g+t,now buzz off
    You're a liar chumpy
    "

dg-8 said:
    "
    But you're assuming that every woman who drinks pints is a lout and masculine. The former is certainly not true, the latter is just your opinion, which sums up your contribution to this thread.
    "

LadyJ said:
    "
    However,you seem to think that these women are loutish and heavy.
    "

Quotes from chump:

Ladies in general are smaller than males, true enough (altho. increasingly less in the belly area). For a lady half the size as a fella drinking as many pints at the same pace as a man - I find that unattractive. - page 3

to drink bottles or halfs - if they choose to drink beer. Provided of course they can afford paying for slightly more expensive bottles/halfs... - page 4

I drank cans in college, as did the girls, I don't have a problem with that - I never said I did... money matters at the end of the day. - page 4

Women, if mucksavage-like, may well drink their pints at the same rate as men and may drink as many - that IMO is unattractive - page 4

@ eyebrows

The other point is a bit wishy-washy - page 4

Women drinking as much as men - not attractive to me. I like my women to be different to men. -page 4

Now could each of you please explain to me where you got your accusations from?
    Absolute drivel. If you can't engage in a discussion without making up stuff, there's no real point is there?

LadyJ wrote:
    Social77,you have very good knowledge of contemporary film stars for a 70 year old!
    :p
    Some may say it shows a good knowledge on my part,others would be more likely to say it shows ai'm a dirty old man who likes to keep his eye on todays pretty young things.Taras nice,no audrey hepburn mind you,but nice all the same
    Social77:the dirty old man clown fcuker

chump wrote:
    This led me to believe you meant that all women who can drink pints at a quick rate look like this.

lager-loutish broad shouldered ladies, who are quite masculine.
    =
    all women who can drink pints at a quick rate look like this

According to you LadyJ ?

That is quite a translation. I actually dunno if you're being serious any more.

And Infact what you originally said was:

Chump,fair enough if in your opinion women who drink pints are unattractive. However,you seem to think that these women are loutish and heavy.

Where did I say this?
    Rubbish. I make a more than valid point that as I man I'm not attracted to a woman who downs as many pints as a man in a night out and get lumped with that...

I don't care how many pints you can down in a night. What I'm saying is I don't think it's an attractive quality in a woman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Redneck_Rebel

In my opinion there isn't much differece between men and women when you get caught for taking them home after they had a few too many and they get sick in your car and on your shoes except when you are lifting them in to their place, give me a woman any day, they seem to be lighter!!!
    Thats a general statment so dont tare strips out of me.
    But there is nothing classer and better lookin than a slim woman that has a pint of Murphys in fornt of her. MMMMMMMM :D

• Advertisement

You said that described "mucksavage" and you used that term to describe women who can keep up with men when drinking no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont know why but i do not find girls drinking pints attaractive, probably cause pints are a mans drink. I mean when guys go up and order girly drinks, most people would be like "right"! and im not old btw 21.

LadyJ wrote:
    You said that described "mucksavage" and you used that term to describe women who can keep up with men when drinking no?

I think you may be referring to
    "Women, if mucksavage-like, may well drink their pints at the same rate as men and may drink as many - that IMO is unattractive"
    When I said this?

But you used to wrong quote to back up your original assertion:
    LadyJ wrote:
    Originally Posted by chump
    "mucksavage isn't an abusive term. It's a term I use for describing lager-loutish broad shouldered ladies, who are quite masculine."

This led me to believe you meant that all women who can drink pints at a quick rate look like this.

So the issue you have is where I said:
    Women, if mucksavage-like, may well drink their pints at the same rate as men and may drink as many...
    First of all I neutered this comment somewhat by using the mucksavage-like term, and using may well.

And yes I do believe that women who drink the same amount and rate of beer as lads on the beer (where I've said again and again 8+ pints a night) are mucksavage-like.

chump wrote:
    I think you may be referring to
    "Women, if mucksavage-like, may well drink their pints at the same rate as men and may drink as many - that IMO is unattractive"
    When I said this?

But you used to wrong quote to back up your original assertion:

So the issue you have is where I said:
    Women, if mucksavage-like, may well drink their pints at the same rate as men and may drink as many...
    First of all I neutered this comment somewhat by using the mucksavage-like term, and using may well.

And yes I do believe that women who drink the same amount and rate of beer as lads on the beer (where I've said again and again 8+ pints a night) are mucksavage-like.
    Ah i finally get it chump,sincere apologies to you
    So basically if you put the word"like"after a word it neuters it and deems it unoffensive
    let me try it out.Chump you are an ignoramus who doesnt know what hes talking about-like
    No offense buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

People get excited over the silliest things. "Good lord, a woman is drinking a pint. DEFCON 1!" Who on earth cares?

Social77 wrote:
    Ah i finally get it chump,sincere apologies to you
    So basically if you put the word"like"after a word it neuters it and deems it unoffensive
    let me try it out.Chump you are an ignoramus who doesnt know what hes talking about-like
    No offense buddy

A witty resonse Social77. I see you didn't care to respond to my challenge to back up your original hilarious comments...
    I would ask you how "who doesnt know what hes talking about" makes any sense when we're discussing opinions and not facts, but that might be a bit much for you. Perhaps I should write more digestible versions of all my posts from now on, so you could understand them? Or try to! Eh?

And incase you didn't understand my perhaps sloppily conjoined words, it meant that the individual while not necessarily being the perfect example of a mucksavage, was very much like a mucksavage. Grammatically perhaps I should have rephrased it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Who cares , I drink pints if someone has a problem with that I couldnt care less.
    Jesus its a glass for frigs sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

havent read through the threaad so sorry if its been said already but.

gov: "rules is rules and if we didnt have rules then where would we be ay? FRANCE!!! thats where, and remember a pint for the fella and a glass of white wine/fruit based drink for the ladie"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i also drink pints, for pratical reasons, eg theyr cheaper (iv paid 3eur for a glass in places), also if the bar is very busy and it takes ages to get the pints in the first place its obviously smarter to get a drink that will last longer and will save getting up again and queueing for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭cordelia

I don't really care if it's a pint or a glass for a woman. The main question seems to be more about whether she can handle the amount of alcohol she's consuming, do you think?

I used to drink pints but finally admitted that I couldn't handle the amount of alcohol and so switched back to glasses. When you're doing rounds with your BF and his mates it's very daunting to be sitting there with three pints in front of you, warm and unconsumed, while the bartender is calling "have you no homes to go to?" That was what I kept running into so I finally gave up and went back to being a glass drinker.

But, then again, I'm a self confessed lightweight. :rolleyes:

Personally, if the girl can handle her pints then what does it matter? If, however, she's falling over drunk after a couple of drinks then it's a problem. Being pissed is, of course, fun - but not when it's early in the evening and your mates are still hours behind you. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭miss_gonzo

I like having my pint, so f uck anyone who doesnt like that

and i can hold my drink just as well as any guy could

• Advertisement
Advertisement