Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea squad troubles

• 17-08-2005 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Ricardo Carvalho says it is "incomprehensible" that he was left out of Chelsea's starting line-up on Sunday at Wigan.

The Portuguese centre-half did not even make the bench as Jose Mourinho chose to partner John Terry with William Gallas and opted for Robert Huth as cover.

Carvalho says he has thought long and hard and cannot understand why he was not in Mourinho's plans.

"I want to know why I didn't play. How can I explain when I don't understand it?" said Carvalho, who is on international duty with Portugal.

"Sincerely, I gave a lot of thought and time to myself but cannot find a valid explanation. It's totally incomprehensible.

"I don't understand why Mourinho said I have to wait for another opportunity to play this season. I don't know why he told me what he did."

Carvalho played the majority of games for Chelsea last season after his £20m move from Porto, where he also had problems with Mourinho.

"At Porto I didn't have an easy life with Mourinho, especially in the year he arrived, but in time I recovered my confidence and finished in a big way," he said.

"I don't want an identical situation at Chelsea. I don't believe I'm going to be third choice.

"The Premiership has begun and I will play many games, I have no doubt. It's incomprehensible that I will become third choice behind John Terry and William Gallas."

Hopefully this is the start of the revolution :)
    World Cup year, countless players wanting to play with few getting a look in. Unhappy faces is what we should hopefully see :)

p.s.
    He is totally right. He is a better defender techically than both Terry and Gallas, and is better than Gallas without a doubt imo.
    That tackle he made last season against Van Nist in the end of season game was unreal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

When it comes to last ditch, crucially well timed tackles there are very few players as good as Carvalho. Gallas, however has more pace than him and every time himself and Terry played together last season (in the league at least) they kept a clean sheet, which is hard to argue with. I think a starting place is also Gallas' reward for deputising at left back when needed last season, a position he clearly isn't happy playing in, however capable he is at doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

It is on football365's website now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Heard this earlier today on BBC radio....also Sven came out with Statement to tell Joe Cole not to worry about his place in English squad sop maybe he is getting pi**ed off with not playing in WC year???

Seems Fergie was right!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

pfft "squad troubles" what an exaggeration.. :rolleyes: This is what I like about being a premiership neutral, I can see people clutching at straws a mile off :D

The dutch team hating each other and forming mini-camps are 'squad troubles', one centre back bitching about not keeping his place in the most-competive-per-place starting eleven in the league is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Its saying a lot that Man United fans are hoping for a collapse of the Chelsea squad, because, tbh, thats the only way United are going to be succesful in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Agreed. Plus Sol Campbell did the same at Arsenal at being told Toure and Senderos were first choice. But he's injured at the mo, and I'm sure he'll try to compete for his place nonetheless.

A lot of hot air, football365 is notorious for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can you think of a better title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

impr0v wrote:
    When it comes to last ditch, crucially well timed tackles there are very few players as good as Carvalho. Gallas, however has more pace than him and every time himself and Terry played together last season (in the league at least) they kept a clean sheet, which is hard to argue with. I think a starting place is also Gallas' reward for deputising at left back when needed last season, a position he clearly isn't happy playing in, however capable he is at doing so.

I would agree with the above post. It's tough on Carvalho who played well last year but Terry and Gallas were always going to be the first choice.
    PHB wrote:
    Hopefully this is the start of the revolution.
    You've already missed the revolution - it was when Chelsea stormed away with the league title!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

PHB wrote:

much ado about nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Somebody posted the stats of the different Chelsea CB partnerships of last season. Terry and Gallas were by far the most effective.
    Although it might be premature to say that they will start collapsing etc, I think it will be hard for Mourinho to keep so many good players happy in a World Cup year.

PHB wrote:
    Carvalho a little displeased at being left out of the team?

Whats the source of this anyway, bar F365?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

World Cup year.

good point. i noticed at the weekend when crespo was coming on duff and drogba were watching anxiously to see who was going off. mourinho has so many top class players this year its going to be hard to keep everybody happy. its debateable whether how big a fuss players are willing to kick up but it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

this is by no means the downfall of chelsea. its a headache any manager would kill for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Its saying a lot that Man United fans are hoping for a collapse of the Chelsea squad, because, tbh, thats the only way United are going to be succesful in the near future.

yea i suppose their brilliant squad, top rate youth structure and fantastic manager dont count for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

While its a bit much to say there is "unrest" in the squad it is a fair point just look at Duff, Robben, Cole and Wright-Phillips, 4 into 2 all internationals wanting to make the World Cup will be desperate to play every game. It could work for or against Chelsea. Same for Carvalho, Huth, Terry and Gallas all expect to be in their countries WC Squad so will want ot play regualrly.
    Mourihno is a quality manager and from what we know of him and his interaction with the players I'd say if anyone can deal with keeping so many world class players happy he is the man.
    As a United fan I wouldn't be looking to Chelsea Squad unrest to help us regain the Title, I would be lookign for top seasons from the like of Ruud , Rooney, Ronaldo and others, you have to win your title these days, Chelsea and Arsenal will not do a Newcastle and fold at the end of the season and as a fan I have to say I am really relishing the battle for the title this year.
    No one is going to underestimate Chelsea this year, the question is can they defend the title successfully, I don't know the answer but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

top rate youth structure

Eh! Apart from Terry what Chelsea players have come from their "top rate youth Structure" recently? and Terry is hardly recent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

jody morris...........

Keano_sli wrote:
    Eh! Apart from Terry what Chelsea players have come from their "top rate youth Structure" recently? and Terry is hardly recent!

I'm, pretty sure he was talking about United.

Oh, and time will tell Besty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

obviously this will cause a total collapse in Chelsea and allow the Broncos to regain their rightful place as premiership champions.

yeah right.

• Advertisement

Very defensive :)

I do expect it to be a lot tougher for Chelsea to be able to maintain their squad this year.
    World cup year, and without a doubt the following people really need to play to get into the squad.
    Joe Cole - SWP - Robben
    Duff is guarenteed a spot
    Only two of those can play at any given time, and once Mourinho finds the winning 11, he tends to stick with it, as shown last year.

Also Drogba-Crespo
    Drogba is guarenteed his spot, but Crespo sure as hell isn't. And its not like he was happy in Chelsea anyway.

Lampard-Tiago-Essien-
    shouldn't really be an issue

Del Horno-Bridge
    I think this will be interesting as both will really want to play to try get into the WC squad, and I think once Mourinho finds one of these on form, the other will not get a look in.

Gallas-Terry-Carvalho
    Obvious Terry will play without a doubt, so its really one spot for two.
    Carvalho is already unhappy not playing, and he didn't have the best of relationships with Mourinoh before, either at Chelsea or at Porto.
    Gallas has to play to keep his international spot.

There is a lot of compo for places, which is good, and tends to bring otu the best in people. But come the January shop window, see how many of the "rejects" like whats happened.

PHB wrote:
    To be honest he's just dimissing the noises of disappointment of a first team player (last year) being left out of the team. Its hardly a huge issue.

You were content to dismiss much more serious issues for your own club earlier in the Summer, you should apply a fraction the same logic here.
    PHB wrote:
    Carvalho is already unhappy not playing, and he didn't have the best of relationships with Mourinoh before, either at Chelsea or at Porto.
    What total utter garbage. Any links to this?

Mourinho didnt have a good relationship with Carvalho at Porto, yet was prepared to pay one of the highest fees ever paid in the world for a defender to take him with him to Chelsea?

Sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Fans? Um, this was posted by one fan and no other United fan has agreed with him yet as far as I can see. It must be lovely to be able to see into the future by the way.

"At Porto I didn't have an easy life with Mourinho, especially in the year he arrived, but in time I recovered my confidence and finished in a big way," he said.

"I don't want an identical situation at Chelsea. I don't believe I'm going to be third choice.

Carvalho himself

---

My dismissal of the claims about United was because they literally had no foudnations whatsoever, compared to this, which has an actual player coming out and complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

PHB wrote:
    Joe Cole - SWP - Robben
    Duff is guaranteed a spot
    Only two of those can play at any given time, and once Mourinho finds the winning 11, he tends to stick with it, as shown last year.

not so sure about this.... and I meant to question it before. Why hasn't he tried playing duff and robben on the wings.. with joe cole in the hole (gudjohnson spot). Maybe he has and I missed it. But that is joe's preferred role, so I would not say that only two can play at any given time.

In saying that, with essien arriving, thats probably out of the question now...

anyway, I don't think you'll hear too much from this camp for the year... I think that even though there will be the first team guys, I reckon they will all play a fairly large role....

PHB wrote:
    Also Drogba-Crespo
    Drogba is guaranteed his spot, but Crespo sure as hell isn't. And its not like he was happy in Chelsea anyway.

do you really think his spot is guaranteed?? why? with crespo only just back he must prove himself... but its not like drogba has already proved himself!
    I realise mourinho doesn't like to admit mistakes.. but if drogba's performances don't improve a great deal on last year, and crespo keeps coming on and playing like he did lask weekend... then I think there could be a switch.

again in saying that... not sure how crespo fairs in the lone striker role??

PHB wrote:
    Lampard-Tiago-Essien-
    shouldn't really be an issue

def lampard and essien will be the first team here... but tiago doesn't seem like much of a whinger... so doubt there will be too many problems from him.
    PHB wrote:
    Del Horno-Bridge
    I think this will be interesting as both will really want to play to try get into the WC squad, and I think once Mourinho finds one of these on form, the other will not get a look in.

this will be interesting.... going from the play so far I would rate bridge better, but it might take time for del horno to find his feet.

PHB wrote:
    Gallas-Terry-Carvalho
    Obvious Terry will play without a doubt, so its really one spot for two.
    Gallas has to play to keep his international spot.

now this will be a real problem, and will probably go on all year (either in the papers or behind the scenes). Neither carvalho or gallas will be remotely happy with a bench position, and one may go if mourinho can't control the situation...... lets hope he can..

no matter what happens I don't think that this unrest will be the downfall of chelsea, but ya never know. I guess the ABC group, which seem to have replaced the ABU group will pick up on everything throughout the year to try and crack the blues.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I personally think that Robben in his winger of choice. He banged in 2 for the Dutch last night against Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

PHB wrote:

Joe Cole - SWP - Robben
    Duff is guarenteed a spot

Also Drogba-Crespo
    Drogba is guarenteed his spot, but Crespo sure as hell isn't. And its not like he was happy in Chelsea anyway.

Very defensive? Just like chelsea then!!

To be honest i dont think duff is guaranteed a spot. Id be more inclined to say Robben.

Similar with dogbra - just because he scored two goals in the community shield against a dodgy senderos he shouldnt think he is guaranteed a spot esp after crespos last gasp heroics last week.

This is Mourihnos biggest challenge - to keep all this squad happy particulary in a world cup year when everyone needs to be playing.

All it needs is two/three of the dropped players to start belittling him behind his back and it can snowball into bad behaviour etc.

I don't think that anyone, except Cech, Makalele and Robben are gauranteed anything this season, I fully expect Duff to be rotated, Joe Cole is competing with Gudjohnson, even Terry , Gallas, Del Horno, Bridge, Carvalho are all in with a good shout. Crespo may be ahead of Drogba now, when on form and happy he's formidable, Drogba can be a lazy whinging fecker.

With that size squad, there is bound to be rotation.

Im sorry I was talking about the WC squad.
    Duff is guarenteed for Ireland
    Drogba is guarenteed for Ivory Coast.
    The others need to play to get into the squads, which is where I think the unrest will come from.

Mourinho really seems to liek Duff, and there were reports last year he wasn't happy with Robben not playing while slightly injured, cause he didn't want to risk it. I think this was the Barca game?
    Mourinho has said on multiple occasions that Duff was their best player, and he uses duff to help the defenders aswell, something that neither Robben/SWP/Cole do anywhere near as much. Its because he knows they don't track back as much as Duff, and inturn Duff is favoured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Duff was eager to play last season, even when his fitness would have been in doubt. I think it was the Bayern Munich that Robben didn't want to play in, as he was afriad of aggravating an injury that was still in the process of healing. I don't think you can blame him for that; he wants to look after his body, and I don't think that makes him any lesser a professional than Duff. When Robben refused to play last season, there was supposed to have been a bit of a row, with at least one English player berating Robben in front of the rest of the squad. Chelsea still won the league at a canter, and although it will be harder this season, the fact that Carvalho has come out and said he's not happy with being dropped for a certain game doesn't mean retaining the title will be any more difficult than it was before this mini-outburst.

This season Chelsea will be competing in the League, the FA Cup, the Champions League, and the League Cup. There will be injuries and suspensions, so none of the internationals (as we will assume that, with the World Cup coming, these will be the ones most likely to be unhappy) will get an extended run out of the team. That would be my prediction. Mourinho has no plans to consign Carvalho to the bench permanently, and he may even start on Sunday. Yawn @ all this scaremongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Chelsea manager hits back at Carvalho

http://www.fansfc.com/chelseafootballclub/news.asp?newsid=143290

The centre-half was unhappy to find himself out of the starting eleven for the Blues for the Community Shield clash and also on the opening day of the season.

However, Mourinho has hit back at the player he brought to Stamford Bridge from Porto, by telling him he must wait for his chance to get back in the team.

"Ricardo Carvalho seems to have problems understanding things, maybe he should have an IQ test," Mourinho said. "I am not happy to have heard about this through the papers.

"Ricardo has worked with me for four years and I do not understand these quotes, he probably needs to see a doctor.

"I told the players this summer that they will need to have patience because we have a great squad and everyone needs an opportunity.

"Carvalho knows how I work, I think he is just temporarily angry but I will speak with him personally. We can't have this kind of thing at Chelsea."

impr0v wrote:

"Ricardo Carvalho seems to have problems understanding things, maybe he should have an IQ test," Mourinho said.

"Ricardo has worked with me for four years and I do not understand these quotes, he probably needs to see a doctor.
    Those two are pretty funny! :)

OPTA Stats prove Mourinho right

As a central defensive partnership Terry and Gallas have conceded only 1 goal in 18 games. Other defensive partnerships have conceded 33 in 31.

Pretty conclusive to say the least, although I do rate Carvalho fairly highly.

PHB wrote:
    Carvalho himself
    Got a link?

I still wouldnt say he has a bad relationship with JM seeing as JM signed him for Chelsea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Got a link?

I still wouldnt say he has a bad relationship with JM seeing as JM signed him for Chelsea.
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=299428&CPID=8&CLID=8&lid=&title=Carvalho+upset+with+axe&channel=football_home

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Its called Competition for places. Chelsea have so many quality players they have cover for nearly all positions, Carvalho will get his chance and they need a big squad to get thru all the Eurpean and Cup competitions as well.

The stats on all other combinations thing is a bit off, it surely would only count if Carvalho played in all of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The stats on all other combinations thing is a bit off, it surely would only count if Carvalho played in all of these?
    They compared Terry-Gallas and Terry-Carvalho and the stats with Gallas in the team were much better than Carvalho's.

eirebhoy wrote:
    They compared Terry-Gallas and Terry-Carvalho and the stats with Gallas in the team were much better than Carvalho's.
    But there is still loads of factors that need to be taken into account.

For example Gallas played the second half of the season at left full, and Carvalho at CB. Chelsea would have had their toughest games in the second half of the season and hence would have conceeded more goals. Champions league VS Barca and Bayern spring to mind.

But there is still loads of factors that need to be taken into account.

For example Gallas played the second half of the season at left full, and Carvalho at CB. Chelsea would have had their toughest games in the second half of the season and hence would have conceeded more goals. Champions league VS Barca and Bayern spring to mind.
    Whatever factors are involved, if 2 centre halfs can keep 16 clean sheets in 17 matches they have to be first choice. Well, unless another partnership gets 17 out of 17. :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4168294.stm
    "I believe we should build the team round a fixed group and if the policy is to be continuous substitution then I don't like it."

While Carvalho's comments will probably be the last time says anything similar to the press, I can't say the same about Robben. He seems to be a bit of an idiot tbh. Even his teammates were critisising him for not passing to him against Germany on Wednesday.

If those comments are true, Robben is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Robben risks Mourinho wrath
    20/08/2005 - 11:06:01

Arjen Robben has claimed the constant changing of the Chelsea side is “bad for a player's self-confidence”.

The Dutch winger's remarks come soon after defender Ricardo Carvalho apologised to manager Jose Mourinho for voicing his displeasure at being dropped.

Competition for places is fierce at Stamford Bridge, with Ghana midfielder Michael Essien the latest big-money signing to join the Barclays Premiership champions.

Robben, quoted in The Sun, said: “If you play two or three matches and one match is bad, you are immediately on the bench and that’s not good.

"It's bad for a player’s self-confidence because you can’t get a rhythm.The problem now is that if you have a dip in form or play badly then you are immediately replaced."

“I believe we should build the team round a fixed group and if the policy is to be continuous substitution then I don’t like it. I don’t know how the manager thinks but I don’t like that system.”

http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/08/20/story216961.html

Looks like there is more decent in the ranks. I think this season in the english league will be a rollarcoaster

No Chelsea discontent, insists Terry
    20/08/2005 - 11:41:22

Chelsea defender John Terry is happy to be playing in a team in which competition for places is so fierce.

Fellow centre-half Ricardo Carvalho this week apologised to manager Jose Mourinho after voicing his disapproval at the decision to drop him for the Barclays Premiership opener at Wigan.

Dutch winger Arjen Robben has also claimed that constant changing of the team is bad for “a player's self-confidence”.

But Terry believes the situation is a healthy one and claims stories of discontent are being spread by people who want to see the champions unsettled.

Terry told BBC Radio Five Live: “Because we have done so well, we are the team to upset. I think that is what everybody wants, to try to unsettle us a little bit. I think it is great, the opportunity we have at the club. With so many players, it is great competition.

“Training every day is fantastic and that improves you. You know if you aren’t playing well somebody as good as you can come and replace you.

“But if you play one bad game I know the manager is not going to drop you like that. He realises what you can do and you can’t play well all the time, he realises that.

“Obviously if you’re playing badly for two or three games you’re going to be out of the side and it’s down to you to impress the manager and get back in the team.

“Once you get the shirt it is down to you to keep hold of it and that means playing well. That’s the same in every team, not only Chelsea.”

Competition for places increased further this week with the signing of Ghana midfielder Michael Essien for a club record £24.4million.

Of his new team-mate, Terry added: “He does seem a great player and I am sure he is going to be worth every penny. He looks very strong and seems a great lad as well.

“He’s settled in well over the last few days and we’re looking forward to him joining in.”

Terry was a member of the England side much criticised after their 4-1 hammering by Denmark in Wednesday’s friendly in Copenhagen.

England have been accused of lacking passion but Terry insists the players do not lack pride or determination in playing international football.

He said: “Playing for your country is something a lot of us have dreamed of. Every time we get that opportunity to put the three lions on we guarantee to give 110%."

“If we go out there and lose, then you always know with England the one thing you get is 110%.

“There is one way for us to answer the critics and that is to go and win the next two games and get maximum points.”

Terry has also backed much-maligned goalkeeper David James to bounce back.

He added: “Hopefully he will be back in the next squad because the lads think he is a great keeper and are looking forward to seeing him back in the side.”

http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/08/20/story216969.html

Terry reckons there are not problems at the Chelski but I think the cracks are beginning to appear. If top players arent getting regular first team football they are going to be disapointed, for how long they can keep them happy reminds to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

robben will be told to **** off, simple as that. This isnt the first time he has acted like a tool. Mourinho wont be happy, day before the game against arsenal aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Looks like Robben may not actually have criticised Mourinho.
    From BBC Sport:

Robben denies Mourinho criticism

Arjen Robben has issued a statement denying claims that he criticised Jose Mourinho's rotation policy.

The winger was quoted in Saturday's newspapers saying that rotation was "bad for a player's confidence".

But Robben told the club's website: "I completely deny making any critical comments attributed to me about the manager's selection policy."

On Friday Mourinho told Ricardo Carvalho he needed an IQ test for criticising the Chelsea manager.

Carvalho had spoken out after being left out of the Chelsea side at Wigan on the opening day of the season but received a stern dressing-down by Mourinho.

Perhaps fearful of the same treatment, Robben was quick to deny reports which quoted him as saying: "If you play two or three matches and one match is bad, you are immediately on the bench and that's not good.

"It's bad for a player's self-confidence because you can't get a rhythm.

"The problem now is that if you have a dip in form or play badly then you are immediately replaced."

Chelsea captain John Terry told BBC Radio Five Live that the competition for places was good for the team.

But he denied that players were constantly in fear of being dropped by Mourinho.

"I think it's great the opportunity we have got at the club. If you play one bad game, I know the manager, he is not going to just drop you like that," he said.

"He realises what you can do and you can't play well all the time, he realises that. Obviously if you're playing badly for two or three games, you're going to be out of the side.

"Then it's down to you to impress the manager and get back in the team."

Terry added that he felt the team was being targeted by the media because they were champions.

"It's just paper talk because we did so well last season we are the team to upset. Everyone wants to unsettle us a little bit," he said.

It was the Sun after all. Not exactly reliable.

Robben dropped to the bench :D
    Robben faces Chelsea axe
    22/08/2005 - 07:20:45
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/08/22/story217131.html
    Arjen Robben will be dropped to the substitutes’ bench for Chelsea’s clash with West Brom at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night.

Boss Jose Mourinho confirmed Robben would not start the game but insisted it had nothing to do with his reported criticism of the Chelsea coach’s rotation policy at the club.

The Dutch winger later denied the comments and strenuously rejected accusations he is unhappy with the system which worked so well for Chelsea when they won the Premiership title last season.

Robben began Sunday’s Premiership victory over London rivals Arsenal but was substituted in the second half.

However, Mourinho said that unlike defender Ricardo Carvalho, who was disciplined by the coach for speaking out after being dropped from the side, Robben’s remarks were his opinion and nothing different from what the player had said to his face privately.

Mourinho, keen to avoid another Carvalho-like showdown with another member of his squad, said: “Ricardo is a situation where he spoke with me, went home to Portugal and then says he was not happy with some colleagues.

“Arjen is completely different. He has an opinion and he expressed it. I knew about it before I read it in the press. The only problem is the comments came after Ricardo’s situation.”

Carvalho was carpeted by Mourinho after the player publicly criticised him for leaving him out of the Community Shield clash with Arsenal and the Premiership opener with Wigan last Sunday.

Carvalho’s comments angered Mourinho, who had explained his decisions to the player the day before the clash with Wigan.

The Chelsea chief then humiliated Carvalho in front of the rest of the squad and new signing Michael Essien at a team meeting – forcing Carvalho to issue a public apology for his comments via the club’s official website.

Carvalho was omitted from the side which beat Arsenal thanks to a lucky goal from Didier Drogba in the second half.

It was Arsenal’s first defeat in the league by Chelsea for a decade and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said his side lacked belief.

“My biggest concern is that the players are very disappointed because they feel they did not deserve to lose the game. I hope that will have positive consequences in the future," he said.

“We have a lot of potential. It is only the second game in the season and the future will tell us how big the ambition is. My ambition is very high for this team and I do not accept it is a transitional season.”

In fairness , I dont think this would happen to any other club in the English Priemership, La Liga or anywhere. Great managment skills Mourniho :P

there was a funny dig at Ricardo in the programme notes from yesterday, Mourinho saying that the Chelsea was all about Team Essence and maybe Carvalho would start to understand this as he watched the game from the stands.

I think this happens in plenty of other clubs but they don't have a manager with the self confidence to punish star players for their various outbursts, Carvalho and Robben know what side their bread is buttered on and will behave. Mourinho is dead right , its a team sport and these lads will have to calm down on the ego trips if they want to be part of a successful squad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement