Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea squad troubles

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

growler wrote:
    I think this happens in plenty of other clubs but they don't have a manager with the self confidence to punish star players for their various outbursts, Carvalho and Robben know what side their bread is buttered on and will behave. Mourinho is dead right , its a team sport and these lads will have to calm down on the ego trips if they want to be part of a successful squad.

I don't believe any other English club is in the same position as chelsea having so many Big name players with their matching Ego's to try keep happy. As long as they are winning it may be possible to keep the unhappiness simmering under the surface but if they start to lose games there will be hugh turbulance that can only be a negative force at the club. It could also affect other big name signings as they may be reluctant to move there with so much compoetition for places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

they have to start losing games first !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Muppet wrote:
    It could also affect other big name signings as they may be reluctant to move there with so much compoetition for places.

Mourinho has said that his squad is now complete. Jarosik has been loaned out to Birmingham, so Chelsea still have the same amount of midfielders they had before they signed Essien.

growler wrote:
    they have to start losing games first !!

When do they play United ?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

You can pay whatever player you want £100,000 a week to be in the squad. But after a while they are going to get pissed off only playing 20 games a season and want to move on after a season or two on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

robben will be told to **** off, simple as that. This isnt the first time he has acted like a tool. Mourinho wont be happy, day before the game against arsenal aswell.

I don't think there has ever been a whole lot of love lost between Jose and Robben, regardless of how he has been performing on the pitch. There has always seemed to be a degree of distance between them when ever they have had the opportunity to congratulate each other post-match, or in the tunnel etc., in terms of body language. Then there was the incident towards the end of last season where Robben wanted to sit out a match in order to let his foot injury heal better, and was criticised for it by Terry and by extension, the special one as well, for not being a team player.

However, no matter how frosty relations get I personally doubt that Robben will be told to get lost (paraphrasing the quote above). With a player of Robben's ability the only clubs capable of buying him, or even attracting him in the first place, are Chelsea's direct competitors. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Robben could hurt Chelsea in a big way if he did go to one of these clubs, in a knock-out cl game, or a crucial premier league one if he moved to an English club. As money isn't overly scarce around Stamford Bridge I think Robben would be allowed to waste away in the stands for a long time before he'd get transfer listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Seems Tiago is off to Lyon. He was never going to get a look in really, I'm just surprised they didn't use him as part of the Essien deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Very suprising move to move on Tiago, quality player in my book.
    "If I want to play the World Cup 2006, I need minutes,'' conceded Tiago.

That means their central midfielders consist of
    Makelele
    Lampard
    Essien
    Gudjohnson

They have also lost Jarosik.
    They are a bit light in the centre tbh. I know Jeremi is around, but he ain't much.
    Heres hoping for an Essien flop and a Lampard injury :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

growler wrote:

I think this happens in plenty of other clubs but they don't have a manager with the self confidence to punish star players for their various outbursts,
    What about Fergie! Look at the likes he's dropped like a bad habit and shown the door over the last few years.

And yeah, if Tiago goes to Lyon, then they will have gotten rid of (for this season anyway) Smertin, Tiago, Jarosik, Parker. If they did get an injury crisis they would be short there.
    PHB wrote:

That means their central midfielders consist of
    Makelele
    Lampard
    Essien
    Gudjohnson
    I think you could include Joe Cole there too as cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

impr0v wrote:
    As money isn't overly scarce around Stamford Bridge I think Robben would be allowed to waste away in the stands for a long time before he'd get transfer listed.

AFAIK Mourinho has said this in the past. I'm sure he'd have no problem whatsoever ruining someone's career by leaving them in the stands for a couple of years as a warning to the rest of the squad. And I'm sure if he asked RA for his backing he support him.

Mourinho has always said that he wanted 2 players for every position so I don't see why people are complaining. There'll be plenty of games for everyone to get a good run out.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    AFAIK Mourinho has said this in the past. I'm sure he'd have no problem whatsoever ruining someone's career by leaving them in the stands for a couple of years as a warning to the rest of the squad. And I'm sure if he asked RA for his backing he support him.
    B.

That wouldn't be a very clever move if Murinho intends to continue making big name signings in the future. It would cetainly make big name player think twice before signing for Chelsea if they feared having their career ruined for the crime of expressing their opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Muppet wrote:
    That wouldn't be a very clever move if Murinho intends to continue making big name signings in the future. It would cetainly make big name player think twice before signing for Chelsea if they feared having their career ruined for the crime of expressing their opinion.

That's not the case at all. If you read all the quotes from Mourinho you would've have seen that he has no problems with players expressing their opinions. What he has a problem with, is players saying one thing to him and then running to the papers and saying the contrary.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    That's not the case at all. If you read all the quotes from Mourinho you would've have seen that he has no problems with players expressing their opinions. What he has a problem with, is players saying one thing to him and then running to the papers and saying the contrary.

B.

I did read the quotes and saw him interviewed live but actions speak louder than words. Robben has been subbed in both Chelseas games and is to be dropped for the next one. Do you think thats down to his performances or is his reported comments a factor ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

The Muppet wrote:
    I did read the quotes and saw him interviewed live but actions speak louder than words. Robben has been subbed in both Chelseas games and is to be dropped for the next one. Do you think thats down to his performances or is his reported comments a factor ?

Both times he has been subbed it was well deserved, he was useless against wigan (most of them were) and did nothing against arsenal (not many of them did) and if he continues to play the way he's playing i'll be delighted to see him on the team sheet against united, as well as doing nothing going forward he constantly leaves del horno exsposed at the back who seems very average when he has no cover.

where did you read he'll be dropped against the baggies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

ntlbell wrote:
    where did you read he'll be dropped against the baggies?
    That was being reported on Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Was on breaking news (probs recycled from sky) and on the premier league site match preview as well. I also think it's down to his performances that he's getting dropped, but chances are he'll get back on the team quicker if he keeps his thought on being dropped out of the red tops.

Wasn't Robben one of Ranieri's last imports before he got the shove? It would be interesting to know if Mourinho would have pursued him if the deal wasn't already in progess/completed by the time he ascended to the throne at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

The Muppet wrote:

performances. Jose isn't afraid to change formations in a game and has enough resources of near equal skill and different specialities to be able to draw on many tactical scenarios, so many combinations that opposing managers can't plan for them all. Robben's too damn impotant to chance in a game against west brom and he isn't necessary to take a good shot at beating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

growler wrote:
    Robben's too damn impotant to chance in a game against west brom

Hehe he should talk to Pele :D

Advertisement