Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scars - do they make people less attractive to you??

• 17-08-2005 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for people's opinions on this. Do you think that a person with a visible scar is less attractive because of it.
    I mean would you find it harder to find that person attractive?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Nope. Adds character at the very least tbh, and can be quite sexy sometimes, don't ask me why.
    Besides, doesn't everyone had one or two scars at least? Why would you be put off someone just because theirs are visible and yours aren't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

SebtheBum wrote:
    Nope. Adds character at the very least tbh, and can be quite sexy sometimes, don't ask me why.
    Besides, doesn't everyone had one or two scars at least? Why would you be put off someone just because theirs are visible and yours aren't?

So if you met a girl with a scar on her body somewhere, it wouldn't put you off of her? I don't mean a scar from a fall or anything like that .. a proper scar, like from an accident or surgery of some kind?

Again, nope. Been out with a few who had big scars, honestly didn't bother me and barely registered when I first met them tbh. What's the big deal?
    If you're gonna go thru life rejecting the people who have scars you're gonna find that there ain't much left anyway!
    Superficial tbh, and I know that's a cop-out answer cos attraction is at least partly based on appearance but, superficial nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I really think it depends where the scar is and what the scar looks like, tbh, I have always liked scars on girls (think that sounds a bit weird).
    if it is from surgery, then it is normally pretty tidy anyway.
    Not a girl, but in my experience, my scars haven't ever realy been an issue, and I have a few on my body
    Why do you ask?

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I really think it depends where the scar is and what the scar looks like, tbh, I have always liked scars on girls (think that sounds a bit weird).
    if it is from surgery, then it is normally pretty tidy anyway.
    Not a girl, but in my experience, my scars haven't ever realy been an issue, and I have a few on my body
    Why do you ask?

Well you see, I'm going for open heart surgery next year and as the time is getting closer & starting to think about it more. I know it's the least of what i should be thinking about but being a girl it's something that's going to play a part in the rest of my life - does that make any sense???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've 2 scars, one barely noticeable in the pit of my back and one a foot long on my left side... generally people say they didn't even notice, find that hard to believe! but never got a negitive reaction.

ravenhead wrote:
    Well you see, I'm going for open heart surgery next year and as the time is getting closer & starting to think about it more. I know it's the least of what i should be thinking about but being a girl it's something that's going to play a part in the rest of my life - does that make any sense???

Wow. just... Wow.
    This is what the superficial, appearance obsessed western civilisation has done to people. Here's a girl going for, wait for it, open heart surgery... and she's worrying about how it will affect her appearance.

I don't mean to be unsympathetic really I don't - my heart goes out to you - but it's just... the mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

well she has a point, my mom had open heart surgery yrs ago, and she has to chose her clothes very carefully since because of her scars.
    of course it wouldnt be most peoples priorty of things to be thinking about before going for this type of surgery, but hey, if it gets her mind of the actual event then so be it.
    i dont think the scars are too noticeable these days though.
    u can get all sorts of stuff tomake them less visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭roberteboot

SebtheBum wrote:
    Wow. just... Wow.
    This is what the superficial, appearance obsessed western civilisation has done to people. Here's a girl going for, wait for it, open heart surgery... and she's worrying about how it will affect her appearance.

I don't mean to be unsympathetic really I don't - my heart goes out to you - but it's just... the mind boggles.

In fairness its not just Western Civilisation that is appearance based.Every society in the world is , or has been, in one way or the other.

But to the OP i really wouldnt worry about it.Most people wont even register it,a tiny minority of people might let it get to them(probably the kind of people whose opinions arent going to matter to you) and some people will like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I had major heart surgry when i was 13.. and that is not today or yesterday. and I am only recently coming to terms with my scar. I have always wanted to wear low cut tops (not really low but u know what I mean) but have not dared till recently. My son got married last October and my dress was low enought so you could just see my scar. I was a bit nervious about it.. but I guess at my time of life .. hey,, what the heck. life is too short to worry about it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭roberteboot

Femmy wrote:
    well she has a point, my mom had open heart surgery yrs ago, and she has to chose her clothes very carefully since because of her scars.
    of course it wouldnt be most peoples priorty of things to be thinking about before going for this type of surgery, but hey, if it gets her mind of the actual event then so be it.
    i dont think the scars are too noticeable these days though.
    u can get all sorts of stuff tomake them less visible.

I knew someone who had surgery a few years back and the scars were quite visible.But then my dad had surgery last year and it was barely noticable.Theyre very neat and tidy these days compared to what they used to be!

In fairness its not just Western Civilisation that is appearance based.Every society in the world is , or has been, in one way or the other.

But to the OP i really wouldnt worry about it.Most people wont even register it,a tiny minority of people might let it get to them(probably the kind of people whose opinions arent going to matter to you) and some people will like it!

Thanks for the posts guys, I just really wanted to see what people thought about it.
    I'm don't mean to sound superficial or anything but I am only 27 so I like my fashion - I just don't want to be made feel like I shouldn't wear such & such because of it. I'd prefer to get an idea of what people really thought about things like that before I make the mistake of having some thick person staring at my chest in disgust....

ravenhead wrote:
    Thanks for the posts guys, I just really wanted to see what people thought about it.
    I'm don't mean to sound superficial or anything but I am only 27 so I like my fashion - I just don't want to be made feel like I shouldn't wear such & such because of it. I'd prefer to get an idea of what people really thought about things like that before I make the mistake of having some thick person staring at my chest in disgust....
    To be honest, he could be leching over your chest as well - you just said yourself that he is thick! There are some d*ckheads in the world anyway, who'll put you down scar or no scar, so your best bet is to just get used to it (I know, easier said than done, I know ppl who hav had similar experiences).
    Good luck anyway

SebtheBum wrote:
    To be honest, he could be leching over your chest as well - you just said yourself that he is thick! There are some d*ckheads in the world anyway, who'll put you down scar or no scar, so your best bet is to just get used to it (I know, easier said than done, I know ppl who hav had similar experiences).
    Good luck anyway
    Thanks SebtheBum - I know you're right. & I'll really not going to let it dictate things in my life (Well try anyway). I'm worried about my B/F as well though, I know it won't make him any less attarcted to me, but that doesn't say that I won't feel less attractive in myself ... Sorry to be rambling on guys, it's just as it's getting closer all these stupid thoughts are coming into my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I wouldn't worry about it tbh, scars with most major surgery these days are very small and very tidy, I had major surgery on my lower back when I broke it, and you can't see much at all any more.
    hoep all goes well with the surgery though, all the best

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it tbh, scars with most major surgery these days are very small and very tidy, I had major surgery on my lower back when I broke it, and you can't see much at all any more.
    hoep all goes well with the surgery though, all the best

Thanks Gilgamesh - fingers & toes crossed :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Know a guy in town-considered to be the best looking guy in the area by far,only about 17-total pin-up boy in most peoples opinion! Any way has a massive scar running down one side of his face and it really adds character to his look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I dated someone who had a scar down half of their chest, I never noticed it (he actually pointed it out to me and that was just after the surgery!!!) and it never affected his choice of clothes. Good luck with the operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

good luck with the op, hope all goes well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

I think scars add character too - it's not like a load of greasy spots :p , it's the result of an experience you went through that not too many people go through. It's not like a disfigurement or anything major, as other posters have said pretty much everyone has scars. A cousin of mine has scars all over her knees & is sometimes self-conscious about it but I never take notice of it (I'm a girl as well, just so you know). Scars have stories behind them which makes them interesting - & you'll have one hell of a story behind yours :)

My boyfriend has an inch-long scar right over his eyebrow & it looks really good, he got it from surgery too - he thinks I'm crazy but I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Good luck with the surgery, & don't let a small issue like a scar worry you, I doubt it'll be noticed by many, & if it is it'll be a great icebreaker ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

I have a long thin red scar behind my right ear, a result of cosmetic surgery. Nobody really notices, but if I wear my hair up and turn so my right side is facing someone that doesn't know me too well, I'm often asked "Ouch, what happened?" So I say "Agh, just a run in with a knacker and a Stella Artois bottle". Sounds more interesting than "Meh, I had cosmetic surgery, I'm so boring".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No - scars are nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

We all have scars, anyone who would be less attracted to you because of it isn't worth knowing anyway. Don't worry about your OP you'll be just fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

azezil wrote:
    I've 2 scars, one barely noticeable in the pit of my back and one a foot long on my left side...
    A foot long scar on your left side? Were you a conjoined twin sperated at birth? Is there an evil azezil locked in an attic somewhere?

I have a scar on my chest from a stab wound, but I've never really thought about how it might affect my appearence and my girlfriend has never seem to concerned about it. And as has been said, it means there is an interesting (possibly horrific) story to tell.

The worst thing I find is people who have heard the story of the scar and want to see it... It regularly has to be publicly displayed to them as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

dated a girl with a large Scar once, i thought i made her unique and was rather sexy,, Although she told me she dumped other Bf's that would go on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 squiiish

I have a couple of small scars as a result of my accident prone-ness and tendency to scar easily.

I don't know - maybe it's because I work with couple of people who are missing various parts ( an ear, an arm...) and who don't seem at all bothered by it. ( The guy with one arm jokingly told me he only had one arm because his ma caught him having a w**k, the first time I met him!) - but I really wouldn't be worried about it.

I saw a series of semi nude photo's taken of a woman who had a mastectomy (taken by her photographer daughter) that documented the whole process from pre-op, through chemo, til getting the all clear and I think it really showed how scars can be reminders of obstacles we've overcome and are some thing to be proud of.

If you're really worried about it after the surgury when the wound has healed over there's plenty of things like Vitamin E oil, BioOil, and special plasters that will help its appearance reduce overtime.

Regarding your boyfriend, or any one else for that matter, not finding you attractive any more because of it, I'd say to hell with them. There's no way I'd stay with any one who wouldn't want to be with me over a scar. For all I know I could get hit by a bus today and end with a whole ton of scars - I couldn't live with the fear. If a scar changes how he feels then it's not love and you're better off without him

Best of Luck with the Surgery!

Thanks a million guys for all the posts .. Feel a lot better about things now, I guess it's just something stupid to be thinking about.

Thanks again :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Depends where they are. I can deal with a scar anywhere other than on the face or tits.

Boobjob scars are just the worst. Honestly ladies I think most guys who prefer a small pair of tits facing them than have to look at those gashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I went for major surgery and have a very large scar that is about 3 foot long. It bothered me for a long time but it doesn't anymore, it's just part of me, makes me unique I suppose and tells a tale.

I think worrying about scars ect. takes our minds of the surgery that is ahead of you. Don't worry everything will be fine.

Aloe vera jelly worked very well for my scar, I heard bio oil is meant to be great also.

If you were really feeling bad about it you can always get laser therapy. I always said I would get that done but my scar doesn't bother me and more and I really didn't see the point.

Best of luck with your op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had open heart surgery when I was 10 (I'm now 26) and as a result have a long scar from above my breasts to above my navel. Also on either side I have two smaller scars from the heart bypass machine.

When I was younger, (<13) i was incredibly concious of them, but I realised that no matter what I did, they would always be there and because of them, I am alive.

I dress in whatever I want. I don't wear tops slashed to my navel, cause that's not my style anyway, but I will sometimes wear low-cut tops. When I do, I notice guys looking down to my boobs and then you see them notice the scar. They look away embarassed then. it's quite funny.

As I said, I don't care. Thanks to the surgery I'm alive and healthy today. Let the world see it. I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Scars dont really bother me honestly, anyway if you don't like it you can still cover it with a nice tattoo...can't you? That can be sexy if well done...

A few years ago I burnt part of my leg with hot water, and then after a year I just had a tattoo done to cover it....I love it, and girls find it sexy too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

dudara wrote:
    When I do, I notice guys looking down to my boobs and then you see them notice the scar. They look away embarassed then. it's quite funny.

Are you sure they're embarrased because you caught them looking at your scar tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

i have scars on my arms but they're quite feint, but, I really dont care what any1 thinks of them. and likewise, if I saw anyone else with a scar, i wouldnt take much notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i think the opposite about scars. I think it makes someone more appealing.

(i hope so anyway - i have two on my head!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yeah, they can look good sometimes. I wouldnt worry about it either way, I think most people wouldnt be put off anyhow. Hope your op goes well :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

I'm with dudara on this one. I was hit by a truck when I was 13 and my collar bone broke through my shoulder. I had a really horrendous keiloid scar as a result - flaming red, raised, and long. It took me a while to be comfortable with the scar, but once I was, I wore bathing costumes and strapless dresses. Over 20 years, the scar has reduced a great deal, but I just got married in a strapless gown and it wasn't an issue for me.

People do look and people do ask, and I just tell them "I got hit by a truck." That's really the end of it - nobody has ever run away screaming in horror or anything. People did used to ask to touch it when it was more interesting looking than it is now, and that was fine with me.

Three years ago I got hit by a car (I know, it'll be a boat next...) and had to have my knee replaced. I had pretty evil scars from incisions and drills and bits and whatever; you can hardly see them now, but when I was recovering it was actually all fairly revolting looking. But eh, I wore short dresses and stuff anyway. Sometimes I still walk with a walking stick, especially where Cork hills are involved, and people look a bit but it doesn't bother me in the least.

It's life, things happen to people, and not a single soul among us is perfect. I'm not sure why we're supposed to cover up and pretend we are. Bollocks to that!

Most of all, though, goo luck on your surgery. And don't change your wardrobe one single bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

i love the chelsea smile look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

My scars don`t influence the clothes I buy(I`m a girl), trust me, I have my fair share! from acne/burns/stitches/general clumsiness/cats who have odd ways of expressing their love.

Good luck with the operation.

Advertisement