Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Checks for buying a 2nd hand car privately?

Options
  • 17-08-2005 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My sister is looking at a 2nd hand car this evening (97 Saxo). I don't really know if it is worth while getting a mechanic to have a look at it, especially after the recent "AA car check" thread. Therefore I would obviously like to give the car a once-over myself.

What are the checks you should look out for? I'm not the most mechanically minded, so please provide details as well :)

Thanks in advance,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

specifically on saxo's, keep an eye on drop links wearing causing a clunking/knocking sound particularly when cornering, throttle cable snapping - check at end of pedal on route through firewall for fraying, faulty lamda sensor (€100 fix approx).

and of course all of the usuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ciarsd wrote:
    specifically on saxo's, keep an eye on drop links wearing causing a clunking/knocking sound particularly when cornering, throttle cable snapping - check at end of pedal on route through firewall for fraying, faulty lamda sensor (€100 fix approx).

and of course all of the usuals.

Thanks ciarsd. I had left by the time you posted, so ended up opening the bonnet, making approving noises at the engine while prodding random parts and hit my head off the open bonnet. I think I convinced them that I know my stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Generally here is a few things you can apply to all cars.

- Check the outside right of the drivers seat for wear - If you have heavy wear and low milage the car probably has been clocked. Same goes for seat belt, If it lags - i.e does not spring back when let go then it's been used alot.

- Bring a Euro coin - an english pound coin is better if you have one - run it through the joins of the metal - any fluctuations and it's been hit.

- Bring a small magnet- tip it around if it does not stick you have filler.

-Check for paint on all the rubber around the bonnet seal and lights - a sure sign of respray.

-Check the temperature - If it goes straight to half way when you start it then he has probably had it started and well warmed up so the engine will sound perfect. After talking to him for 1/2 hour ;) - let it cool start it again and rev check for smoke from the exhause - blue = walk away.

-Ask when Timing belt was changed, Don't buy without service histroy, ask is clutch has ever been changed.

fantastic - thanks a million egan007 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

eoin_s wrote:
    Thanks ciarsd. I had left by the time you posted, so ended up opening the bonnet, making approving noises at the engine while prodding random parts and hit my head off the open bonnet. I think I convinced them that I know my stuff :D

:D

sorry i didnt get a reply in sooner, ive not been online much. so did she buy?

• Advertisement

ciarsd wrote:
    :D

sorry i didnt get a reply in sooner, ive not been online much. so did she buy?

Ended up getting a micra for her from a dealer, decided the dealer can get it in the neck if anything goes wrong, rather than me :)

Advertisement