Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Results

Options
  • 17-08-2005 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Of those who did biology, did anyone think they marked it very badly?
    Did you get less than you felt you deserved.

I wouldve sworn my paper was A1, or at least A2 and instead came out with a B2. I am extremely unhappy and so is my biology teacher.
    I will be getting mine looked at and appealing my mark.

Anyone feel the same way?
    Any one feel hard done by?

Was Biology marking too strict? 33 votes

Definitely. I will appeal.
    0% 0 votes
    Definitely but i couldnt be bothered appealing.
    45% 15 votes
    I thought it was fair.
    30% 10 votes
    I thought they marked easy!
    24% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Groovychick

I thought it was marked fairly, it was a nice paper and i got a a1!! Maybe i just got a nice examiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

yeah but other people found it really crap. I got a D3, and im happy with that cos i thought i failed it. Although my Biology teacher will not be happy with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

yeh shiit i came out of that exam expecting an a1,tws the only exam that i came out of smiling. gettin a recheck for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i gota b2 alao and was hoping fora little bit more.dunno if i will appeal yet thpugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

You should all appeal if you're not too happy with your Biology results. I'm sure if hundreds of people that did Biology appeal, then someone high in the examinations commission will realise that they made a big c**k up, and be more likely to upgrade your marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i thought it was marked fairly, i got what i expected C2.

i think some people are just trying to pick holes in the system but i think it's one of the fairest systems in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

I was a standard all year long in Bio. Never got less than an a2. Got a c1 in the leaving cert. Really disappointed with it and definately getting it rechecked. Everyone I've spoken to feels the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

it was marked easy last year cos it was a new syllabus thats why it was marked a bit harder this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

it wasnt marked a bit harder. it was a lot harder. i got 98% in a mock paper. and have always gotten A1's before.

They decimated the paper this time. I dont know what i couldve done to deserve only a B2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Cremo wrote:
    i thought it was marked fairly, i got what i expected C2.

i think some people are just trying to pick holes in the system but i think it's one of the fairest systems in the world

just for that your going on my ignore list. beacon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Every single one of my friends that did biology has been complaining about the paper, so there must be something wrong if they've managed to piss off half the country... Anyone seen anything in the papers about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Have a look at your paper before you make any decision about appealing.

See where you scored low marks. If you think your answers deserved more (though try to get a teacher's input on this) then appeal. You have no idea what your friends wrote in their exam, and some people have strange memory lapses when they leave an exam - they 'think' they answered what they were asked, and they 'think' they wrote an excellent answer, but on having a look at their corrected paper, they realise that was not the case.

The first thing to check on your paper is the totting up of marks. It is where errors are most likely to occur (and make a substantial difference in grade - up or down), not in the actual marking of questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

i swore i got an A2 in higher level and ended up with a B1! Im happy with my results overall but i really wanted to see at least one A. I will get it looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

i was sure i had an A as well, i checked over it 3 times in the exam. but i met my biology teacher yesterday and he said the papers had to be remarked 3 times because they kept changing how to add up scores. so that means there'll be 4 sets of markings on your paper!! they really messed that up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

If you look at the stats, it really was marked very hard (and steadily harder). Here are the percentages of people that got an A1 over the last 3 years:

2003: 10.4%
    2004: 7.1%
    2005: 4.8%

Compare that with Chemistry:

2003: 15.1%
    2004: 12.8%
    2005: 11.4%

And as far as I know, Chemistry is the hardest science subject because of the volume of information you need to know. I didn't do Biology, but most of the people I know that did thought it was a pretty easy subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

That means the paper was a poor differentiator. The correctors must have been so peed off having to re-correct with so many different marking schemes. They only get paid the one fee, so effectively if that is the case they did three times the agreed work for the same measly fee. I can see there being a shortage of Biology correctors next year if people were messed about.

Try to get a teacher who has corrected to look at your paper - they will understand the importance of the different colour pens used, the different brackets around 'marks', the short codes for different things etc.

I hope if you go for a recheck it works out the way you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sabriel

Definatly fair I`v been a C student all year, thought the test was hard but came out with an A2 :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I got a B1 in mine, I thought I'd definitely got an A but I'm not sure if I'll bother appealing because I don't need the extra points. I'm going to view it anyway with my Biology teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Kate_17

I'm happy with mine, I got an A1 same as in mocks. I know one or two people who got A1's and A2's... mostly B's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭stevoxbx

Biology was the only subject I was worried about going in to look at on wednesday, and I was unbelievably surprised, was praying just for a D3(H) but got a C2! absolutely delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

same as me, i wanted needed a c3 in it and i got a c2.

i thought the paper was very fair in all honesty there was nothing there that our class didn't do, you probably all got dodgy correcters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

sabriel wrote:
    Definatly fair I`v been a C student all year, thought the test was hard but came out with an A2 :D

Im the same, im going to have a look at it anyway, see where the inspiration came from!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Lamia

I think it must have been marked hard in some cases, judging by a lot of peoples opinions. I was surprised to find that in Biology (one of my best subjects) I went down a grade from the mocks....didnt see that one coming! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I got a c2 in higher level by only studying the night before for 3 and a half hours by going through the chapter summaries ( i only managed to go through 16 or so) and learning 2 experiments that I was told were likely and they came up. Piece of cake. gwan the system :)

BTW i was failing all my previous biology tests so it's not as if i knew anything before the eve of exam lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I thought it was the only exam i might get an A in, but I only got a c1. Very dissapointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

i thought they marked the bio easy enought!! got a B3 in my pre and came out with an A2..dnt ask how! if i had even got a B2/B1 i wuda been delighted so nearly had a heart attack when i saw the A! ya i lookn at my script too to see where the inspiration came..(or where the examiner made the mistakes :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

im delighted with my result got a b1,i was expecting a c1 or c2 for the effort i put in(never killed myself over it). but was nicely surprised last wednesday!some people i know are v dissapointed, they would have worked way harder than me and came out with less than me.but i def wont be appealling!!!

Advertisement