Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42" Plasma recommendations, budget: ~€2100

Options
  • 17-08-2005 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Lo folks.

Story: A friend of mine is looking around for a 42" Plasma tv for his mother.
    His budget is around 2000euro, he's looking at some Philips models.
    His main concern is overall quality, manufacturer reputation etc.

Specs for the TV: 42", good contrast ratio and viewing angle. Tuner and speakers can be built-in or seperate modules, but would ideally come as a bundle/package. Basically decent quality but fairly plug 'n play. It's for his mother and she won't have much use for (or money to spend on) seperates or a full-on setup.
    I don't think they need a DVD player.

Sources: Chainstores, High-street retailers, perhaps some e-tailers, but essentially somewhere that the cost and hassle of shipping wouldn't be a deterrent from following up on a warranty claim smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

What about http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&Sub=28&ProductID=297&c=1

€1899 from richersounds (mind you it's GBP£1199 which works out at roughly €1770 converted so paying in Sterling would be cheaper).

If it doesn't have to be 42" they have a nice panny 37" at €1499 too http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&SUB=28&ProductID=142&c=1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Sony KEP42M! is currently going for €2299 , itll probably drop anothe rbit over the next few weeks. Plus new models are due out that will be around the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I forgot to mention, it would need to be capable of 720i if at all possible, just to future-proof it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Here's the current problem with 720p capable(I take it you mean p not i).

Most screens of this size/cost will handle a 720p picture, but if the screen itself doesn't have 720 lines you're not going to get all the detail, but a downscaled picture. So it comes down to your definition of capable!

Also, for best picture you'll want 720p over DVI/HDMI. Sky are saying that a digital 720p picture will need a HDCP compatible set (This is expected to be the same on new HD-DVD/blu-ray players also).

Given the present market a 720+ line plasma with HDCP is an expensive beast, and the price will drop like a stone as soon as this becomes a mass market time (look at the price of DVD players). You're going to pay a serious premium for a piece of kit that will sit on your wall with no real practical use for a long time, and when it is useful (ie HDTV is readily available) it'll be much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I amn't much of a Tv person, like i am more into sound but Isnt LCD better to go for as it is much longer lifetime and overall better Picture. You can pickup 32" LCD's for around 1000-1500 Right ? Which are meant to be great.

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

HungryJoey wrote:
    I amn't much of a Tv person, like i am more into sound but Isnt LCD better to go for as it is much longer lifetime and overall better Picture. You can pickup 32" LCD's for around 1000-1500 Right ? Which are meant to be great.

Hj
    IIRC LCDs are great for all but two things. Dead pixels and size limits. LCD's cannot go further in size than 32", something to do with the way their made I think, I just remember reading somewhere that lcds cant go anywhere as big a plasma. I have yet to see a 42" lcd anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

After seeing the temporary screen burn in my mates 42" LG plasma I would hesitate before I would buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

SolarNexus wrote:
    LCD's cannot go further in size than 32", something to do with the way their made I think, I just remember reading somewhere that lcds cant go anywhere as big a plasma. I have yet to see a 42" lcd anywhere

Not true, in my shop I have both a 42" LCD (€5999) and a 37" LCD (€2300), The price nearly doubles every size you go up in LCD after 36", The picture off a full 1080i signal on the 42" is just amazing......

S

Advertisement