Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Miaow

Options
  • 17-08-2005 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

We have befriended a stray cat by feeding it etc. A friendly thing which we have grown to like.

However, apart from shedding a LOT of hair, when the cat tries to Miaow, no sound comes out. Her mouth just opens and closes, very weird. She can purr no problem.

Any ideas what might be up with her. We are thinking of bringing her to a vet to get a once over.

Cheeky thing scaled the wooden bird table and ate all the bread we left out. She shouldn't be hungry, we feed her half a tin of cat food twice a day along with milk and other tit bits.

So back to the Miaow, any ideas?
    S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

One of mine is like that, the mouth goes but nothing comes out :)

A vet check will put your mind at rest and if your planning on keeping her she should be vacc'd also. I'd replace the milk with water though, many cats are lactose intolerent and suffer bad diarrhea if given milk which wouldn't be immediately apparent in an outdoor cat.

Just to add, one of my cats would put away 2 tins of food and quite a bowl of kibble on a daily basis so maybe leave out a bowl of Royal Canin dry food for her also.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

snap our tortie opens her mouth but nothing comes out, once or twice it has and jesus its sad the noise she makes, think its just the cat, like humans all different

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My cat up home lost her voice, turned out she had a respiratory infection.
    Have the kitty checked out if you can to make sure it's not an infection causing it just in casey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

yeah,
    If she/he looks like its *trying* to make a noise, then bring it to a vet, may be anything from a throat infection to cysts on vocal chords etc.

However, it may just not be a vocal kitty, one of ours rarely ever speaks, the other chatters away every time she wants to tell us somthing (all damned day lol),...then again, shes a bit,...well..."special" ;)

Advertisement