Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 32PF5320??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

seems to have all the features and is hd ready which is good, one thing i noticed it doesnt have hdmi, so if you get sky hd in years to come it wont work(unless you get a dvi box)

Btw what video connection is the new 360? DVI, hdmi, component????
    also have you got a price on the tv, because im trying to get a new samsung 32" lcd and its €1365.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/99557/art/samsung/le32r51-hd-ready-32-82cm.html#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

I can get it discounted down to €1419. The 360 will come with different cables depending on what package is sold. You can also buy them seperatley. However, I think the HD connection is HDMI. Could I use a HDMI to DVI converter? Maybe there'll be a DVI cable aswell. Looking forward to it. I'm also not too interested in Sky Digital at the moment so that doesn't put me off one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Salamander

I can get it discounted down to €1419. The 360 will come with different cables depending on what package is sold. You can also buy them seperatley. However, I think the HD connection is HDMI. Could I use a HDMI to DVI converter? Maybe there'll be a DVI cable aswell. Looking forward to it. I'm also not too interested in Sky Digital at the moment so that doesn't put me off one bit.

Hi JacoStanley,
    Did you get the TV? I was looking into getting a LCD and also found this LCD to be good value. They have it in Richer Sounds (http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/categorydetail.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=6&Sub=44) for €900.
    If you did get it (sorry to tell you that you can now get it at a lower price :( ) what's the picture quality like, etc?
    how do DVD's look?

Cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Ah, sorry to break it to you. 900 pound sterling, or €1,350

Ah, sorry to break it to you. 900 pound sterling, or €1,350
    Ah Sh1te! didn't see the € symbol first time round! Cheers...

• Advertisement

I got it about 4 weeks ago and I'm in love with it. Ended up paying 1350 for with staff discount and for a tv of it's quality it's still a bargain at that price. No more closing curtains in the middle of the day to watch tv and it seems very watchable from any angle. Dvd's look great but you only get as good a signal as you put in. I've yet to get a hd dvd player although power city are selling a samsung one for 190. I've connected up the computer using the dvi and the picture is stunning. Far Cry looks like a stunning tropical painting and the noticably more colourful and brighter. If ya want to get the best out of it, you've got to send a digital signal through it and watch the results. Just waiting on the Xbox360 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Jaco - hi I am getting one of these in a few weeks- once the new floor is laid in front room.

as a matter if interest did you wall mount it? or are you using a stand? if so, what stand did you get.

another thing, what is the sound like, hard to judge this in powercity or did with all the ambient noise in these places.

many thanks

Hey,

I have it on a coffee table at the moment. I was looking at some stands in Arnotts just now and they were cool but only made them for the 37" and up. I'm gonna have a look in argos. With regards the sound, it's fine. I use the surround sound system for the dvds and games but the in built speakers are quite good. Don't think the bass response on them is too hot but there ya go. Anyway, I recommend it defo for the price. The same tv with a sony badge costs an extra 800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

The Xbox 360 full package comes with a component HD cable or there is an optional VGA HD cable available. The Philips TV dos not have a component input. The Sharp LC32P50 looks like a better option. I have seen it for EUR1300 or in 37" for EUR2000. Has HDMI and Component HD inputs and 2 rgb scarts. The philips only has 1 rgb scart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Cinemaworks

Could I use a HDMI to DVI converter? Maybe there'll be a DVI cable aswell

you dont need any conversion for this screen so a straight HDMI to DVI cable will do... adapters are available but are a bit bulky.. + now you can go up to 20m with the leads aswell.. tried and tested.. :)

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, there won't be any hdmi or dvi cable available at launch for the 360 so I'll have to use the vga cable and use a vga to dvi adapter. All sorted, however it'll cost me another 40euro on top of the 410 for the 360. Component cables are of no use to me I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

Unfortunately, there won't be any hdmi or dvi cable available at launch for the 360 so I'll have to use the vga cable and use a vga to dvi adapter. All sorted, however it'll cost me another 40euro on top of the 410 for the 360. Component cables are of no use to me I'm afraid.

Did you not get a DVI to Component adapter with the TV?
    According to the PDF brochure on Philips website you should have.

No, actually never got one. Is there such thing?

I got it about 4 weeks ago and I'm in love with it. ....

Cool!
    Just one question... I'm not a great football fan, but I like to watch the odd game (fair weather supporter). Football is the ultimate test for LCD's (and usually the only thing thats displayed on them when you go to the store!!). How is the responce time. It's documented at 16ms. Do you notice any ghosting?? Have you watched any action movies? how do they look?

Went into Currys on the weekend and asked if they could plug a DVD player into an LCD to let me see the quality of the picture (a split TV signal is not very flattering!) and they refused! Come back when we are not so busy (There was 3 of them standing around having a chat at the time and the place was almost empty!!) anyway I digress!!

Glad you're happy with your purchase!:D

The floor is laid! I am going to buy this one at the weekend. As with the last poster can you advise how well it handles soccer and action movies, the only two thing I watch!

I watch the rugby on setanta and it's fine. It does really depend on the quality of the incoming signal so analog tends to look a bit crap. Digital is great though. With regards action movies, I've watched Kingdom of Heaven , LOTR and Sin City recently and quality is great. However, something which is a case for all lcd's is that black isn't as black as a crt or plasma but it's a much brighter, more colourful picture which is more suited to a lit up room. I pass the philips store on george's st/dame st everyday and the difference between the plasmas and lcd's are considerable...ie, lcd's being a much better picture. You can tell what's being shown on them from about 50 feet away. Again, it's a case of the quality of the input signal and some new hd dvd players coming out around december will start around €190. Hope all goes well for ya with it.

jaco, many thanks for that - cant wait for saturday!!

Thanks for the reply!

Pauld, If you're in the market for a LCD then...

I was looking at the Philips in a shop, but then I saw the LG 32LX2R
    http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do?actType=search&page=1&modelCategoryId=0102&categoryId=0102&parentId=01&modelCodeDisplay=32LX2R&model=NOTHING

It's "only" ~€200 more expensive than the philips, and it has a few more features. Have a look at the link and check out the specs.

It's better to have all the information before you drop the cash!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭dor83

im thinking of getting one of these too and was wondering how you were getting on with yours now jaco? and pauld did you get one?
    i'd be buying it for use with an xbox 360 mostly and am not too bothered about watchin tv on it(i dont hav sky in my bedroom, where my 360 will be).

dor83- yep i got one about four weeks ago - have it on the 100 euro bush stand from argos. i have to say, i love it!!! the wife loves it and so do the kids. the picture from sky and dvd is excellent - ntl cable is not so hot- so i guesss the better the source the better the picture will be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭dor83

thanks for the info pauld. i got one myself today and am impressed with it so far. cant wait to see the xbx 360 on it.

Advertisement