Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<< Changes >>

Options
  • 17-08-2005 4:31pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

As you have by now noticed there have been some changes.

I will update the charter a little later. The charter applies to both of the subfora, bear that in mind - I will clear up the Reunion rule to make it appropriate to the new setup.

Nothing has been deleted, only moved to a more appropriate place. Please read the Welcome messages in the two sub-fora.

If you don't like it please don't spam the place to say so. Give it some time, it's quite a logical set up and will be quite handy and tidy, in my opinion.

Reunion threads are strictly forbidden as always - take them to CTYI Reunions, that's what it's there for.

Even if you've posted in "Who is Who", try to take the time at some stage to post in CTYI Introductions. The single thread is completely unusable at this stage but it remains (stickied also, in CTYI Introductions) for the sake of history.

If you have a really amazingly good reason for wanting another subforum please ask in PM but it has to be amazingly good. Adding even 1 more subforum will require the main forum to become a subforum. So instead of the main board where it is now, we've have 4 subfora. I don't think we have the people traffic to warrant any further subfora, even as we are the two subfora might not see that much traffic.

Play nice. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What would the Main forum become a subforum of?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Of the "CTYI" Category. Like this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=234

We saw it earlier while the change over was happening. Not ideal, in my honest opinion. It's a lot nicer this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

halenger wrote:
    Of the "CTYI" Category. Like this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=234

We saw it earlier while the change over was happening. Not ideal, in my honest opinion. It's a lot nicer this way.
    indeed, I can't imagine any extra forums being justified, liking the introductions forum myself so far anyway, works really well.

Who knows, maybe some young visionary will have an idea, an idea that could sprout to a forum, a forum that could sprout to a website, a website that could sprout to a company, a company that could sprout to an industry, an industry that could sprout to a monopoly, a monopoly that could sprout to a plutocracy, a plutocracy could sprout to a Galactic Empire. And that would pwn!

I should sleep....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

what....the....fuck are you on about??

Honestly? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

This is why Star Wars, brandy and questionable cheese dont mix

Raphael wrote:
    Galactic Empire.

The Independent Republic Empire of CTYI?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I call Junior Vice President!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I really like the new layout of all this, I think it's much clearer. So yay for whoever suggested it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Jack Lynch wrote:
    This is why Star Wars, brandy and questionable cheese dont mix
    ...what? I think it's widely known that R4ph doesn't drink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

No-one said he drank the brandy.

Oh sweet zombie Jesus on a pogo stick.....

Did anyone else upon seeing the title ''Changes'' think this was going to be a post about Puberty or something?

no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

Piste wrote:
    Oh sweet zombie Jesus on a pogo stick.....

Did anyone else upon seeing the title ''Changes'' think this was going to be a post about Puberty or something?

no?
    lol, no ,i ,like aonghus, thought of the bowie song immediately.
    but a puberty topic would be hilarious,
    "our next topic is masturbation, now please welcome our guest speaker, Liz, who will be talking about,ahem,oral hygeine."

*smack*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Piste wrote:

no?
    Yes, but I was too shy to bring it up myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well that's hardly something you could accuse Liz of! :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

So... like... these things have been happening to me and I don't understand them lol. Can anyone tell me lol why things are changing lol? Please????!¬?!?"!$"F

Erm... 'scuse me. Well no, I didn't quite think that but I did start the thread so it would've been slightly worrying if I had.

OMGWTFBBQ, He's mkin fn of us, lts hve a rvolutin! FITE DE PWR!

...sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Podge is growing boobies. :/

Plunky wrote:
    ...what? I think it's widely known that R4ph doesn't drink

Brandy is a singer

And i got the OMGWTF, but what does BBQ mean?

Barbeque, duh

and DUH is the TLA for 'Dunce (of) Unusual Hair'

I know i'll regret this, but what's TLA?

insert nasty reply.

'The TLA (three-letter acronym or three-letter abbreviation) is the most popular type of abbreviation in technical terminology, and is also very common in general language. While three-letter acronym is the older and more frequently cited term, many argue that use of the word acronym is incorrect (see acronym and initialism), and this has led to the increasing use of the word abbreviation as opposed to acronym in expanding the term.

TLA is a three-letter abbreviation itself; the term was almost certainly coined with a certain degree of self-referential humor in mind. Likewise, the following four-letter combinations are sometimes used for four-letter abbreviations:

FLAB (four-letter abbreviation)
    ETLA or XTLA (extended TLA)
    LFLA (longer four-letter abbreviation)
    or TLA/E (TLA/Extended)
    However, all of those forms are far less common than TLA. In the same vein, VLFLA is a very long five-letter abbreviation and DETLA is a doubly-extended three letter abbreviation.

TLAs became common in the United States during the New Deal of President Franklin D. Roosevelt (who is frequently referred to as FDR). Terms from this period included NRA for National Recovery Administration, CCC for the Civilian Conservation Corps, and TVA for the Tennessee Valley Authority. Detractors of President Roosevelt's policies called the new agencies "alphabet soup."

According to acronyms.com, TLA was coined by Jeff Kelley (John F. Kelley, Ph.D., CPE) who worked at the time at IBM, a company whose name itself was a TLA. Kelley reports vaguely recalling that the date on which he coined the term was around 1985. However, the Google Groups archive has a citation from a Chip Rosenthal of Intel for "Three-letter acronym" antedated to September 18, 1984'

Taken from the Nirvana that is Wikipedia

Thank you.

Advertisement