Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Harley Road King + Aprilia Atlantic 500 + Vespa 125 - € 290 full comp with AON.

Yes, I'm old :) - Forty -(cough, ahem) something.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Never heard of MCE until today when I read a quote from here.

Who are they and what do we know about them? Anyone covered with them?

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

Licence: Full
    NCB: 2 years
    Bike: ZZR 400N

Liberty €519 with passager €490 without... last year i was paying 890

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭ratracer

So my renewal for my VFR 800 came during the week. €382 FC from Adelaide. Not including legal cover or break down assistance or protected NCB.

Rang Carole Nash on Monday, someone is getting back to me ASAP....still waiting:mad: Why say they will call back and then don't?

Rang Liberty and before I got quote I asked 'Do you give discount for RoSPA qualification?' Answer: 'What's RoSPA?' THey don't so I didn't even bother getting a quote from them.

Rang Aon, quote €324 inc breakdown, legal AND protected NCB €324.

Rang back Adelaide with above figures..'sure we'll do the exact same for €322'...
    Why are insurance co's such wan****? Just give me your best quote in the first place.

So I saved €60, but now have all the extras included in the policy, so happy days. (Until next year):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Been ringing around to try get insured on an XL600R. Im 19, have been riding for 6 months and havnt built up any NCB yet.

Liberty refused to quote me said I needed to be 21 and have a full licence for a year plus.

Aon did quote me...8000+ was what she said on the phone...Ridiculous!

In the height of it at the moment, dont see the point in allowing riders to ride bigger bikes (A2 compared to the old A licence) while they have to pay ridiculous sums of money to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Been ringing around to try get insured on an XL600R. Im 19, have been riding for 6 months and havnt built up any NCB yet.

Liberty refused to quote me said I needed to be 21 and have a full licence for a year plus.

In the height of it at the moment, dont see the point in allowing riders to ride bigger bikes (A2 compared to the old A licence) while they have to pay ridiculous sums of money to do it.

....in fairness, it's an Irish problem, not 'being allowed' problem. the 'allowed' part is EU-driven

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I didn't think they COULD refuse to quote, which is why AON gave you the as-good-as-a-joke quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I had the same crap from them, they wanted 5000+ for a VFR400 when I was 26!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Mine is up next month...only 2 yrs NCB currently paying €340 fully comp on the FZ6...dont know if I will get it cheaper then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Liberty quoted me €231 TPFT to re-insure me on my Rebel 125. I've 5 years NCB which they only credited me with a measly 43% for (€113) and then slapped on a minimum policy charge of €93 thus saving me a whopping €10 on my premium for building up 5 years NCB. No point in paying to protect that bonus so ...

Carole Nash have just quoted me €317 for the same cover with a free anti-theft device which the nice guy at Carole Nash said was very good until I pointed out that the appearance of my bike is usually enough to deter thieves ...

Will try AON on Monday - anyone else out there insuring mature lady bikers at the mo?? Don't think any insurer will beat Liberty though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

adelaide?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Nope, checked them out after reading the posts on here but they only insure bikes over 126cc and mine is a mere 125 ...

very odd!

theres a new crowd, MCE - but they may give off the wall quotes before they get themselves settled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Wossack wrote: »
    very odd!

theres a new crowd, MCE - but they may give off the wall quotes before they get themselves settled

Their quotes don't seem too bad, though they have huge excesses on their premiums. ~€750 if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

€290 Fully comp including helmet and gear cover with Adelaide on the Fireblade, covered on other bikes etc, not bad IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

fleabag wrote: »
    Liberty quoted me €231 TPFT to re-insure me on my Rebel 125. I've 5 years NCB which they only credited me with a measly 43% for (€113) and then slapped on a minimum policy charge of €93 thus saving me a whopping €10 on my premium for building up 5 years NCB. No point in paying to protect that bonus so ...

Carole Nash have just quoted me €317 for the same cover with a free anti-theft device which the nice guy at Carole Nash said was very good until I pointed out that the appearance of my bike is usually enough to deter thieves ...

Will try AON on Monday - anyone else out there insuring mature lady bikers at the mo?? Don't think any insurer will beat Liberty though.

What price are liberty quoting as the minimum premium amount on your quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just got my renewal from C&N.

Male, 32, 1 years ncb, CB400 restricted, on a learner permit.

317 euro TPFT:) Im actually delighted with that

Adelaide rang me today. €247 tpft. No breakdown cover though.

Well got 2 quotes today and Adelaide are head and shoulders over the other insurance companies at the minute IMO.

2009 Triump Sprint 1050 ST @ €5700 = €534 Fully comp (free Helmet and Leathers cover)
    2007 Honda Blackbird 1100 @ €5500 = €523 Fully Comp As above.

MCE
    VFR 800 2008 @ €6000 = €1712

AON
    2009 Triump Sprint 1050 ST @ €5700 = €689 Fully comp

Just trying to get the right boike now.

Just got my renewal from C&N.

Male, 32, 1 years ncb, CB400 restricted, on a learner permit.

317 euro TPFT:) Im actually delighted with that

Nothing wrong with that!
    If mine comes close to that I'll be happy.

• Advertisement

chrismon wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that!
    If mine comes close to that I'll be happy.

247 from adelaide is tempting though. Think ill ring C&N and see if they can match. Breakdown cover is important to me since the bike is 19 years old

Joe

Make sure you ask what the excess is. Some of them are as low as €250 or as high as €1000.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Joe

Make sure you ask what the excess is. Some of them are as low as €250 or as high as €1000.

Good point. He never mentioned that.

I am getting a new policy tomorrow hopefully with Adelaide, fully comp and they give free Helmet and Leathers cover along with the usual legal and breakdown and the excess is only €250 and I can ride any other bike and take pillions etc. Liberty are in the stone ages with no multi bike policy and not been able to ride other bikes. She even said I could not take a pillion ffs....but I doubt that.:rolleyes:

fully comp on what though?! or have ye picked something up and I missed a thread?

fully comp on what though?! or have ye picked something up and I missed a thread?

Yeah you missed a thread mate, I have not found a bike yet but its down to deffo two, not unless something is wrong with my final choice or a Triumph Tiger 1050SE pops up somewhere in Ireland...its either a 06 Blackbird or a 2010 Triumph Sprint ;)

ah yea spotted that one alright - was just surprised you can get insurance without a license plate number..! so thought ye had something bought

ah yea spotted that one alright - was just surprised you can get insurance without a license plate number..! so thought ye had something bought

Well its offical now.

2010 Triumph Sprint 1050 SE

2 NCB
    Full A Licence - No Restriction
    Grade 2

Adelaide
    Fully Comp - €533
    Excess €250
    Free Helmet and Leathers Cover.
    Multi Bike and Pillion.

Nice bike!
    Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads I'm with Liberty and I'm up for renewal in a few days. Long story short someone tried to rob my bike a few months ago, did over 1k's worth of damage but I ended up paying for it myself as if I claimed it would have cost me double in the long run. I thought I had no claims protection but I didn't.

Anyway i called them and hassled them for a better quote. Last year the quote was over 500, they will now do it for me for €410 including no claims bonus protection. Do you think this is a decent deal or who else should I call? (Ducati 749, 5 years NCB, Male, 32).

Who are you guys insured with and who's good/bad?
    Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement