Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

hopefully it will bring that down, good luck on your test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

pittsburgh wrote: »
    27 year old, learner permit, 600cc suzuki bandit 00, will be two years no claims next month

I pay 550, is that about normal for age / bike?

Have my full test monday, if i pass will this bring the premium down?

Thanks

I was 26 0 NCB and it was 575 on a zx6r . Now 27 with Full license on a zx9r its 392

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

Male, 33
    Learner permit
    Honda CB500 2001

Third party, fire and theft

Principal: €508
    Carole Nash :€466

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Male, 26, 9 years ncb.
    BMW K1100LT
    €286 fully comprehensive from Principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Considering going back on the road in a bit after almost 10 years.

Quote i got was from AON.

Aged 32
    Licence: Provisional
    NCB: 0
    Quote €190 fully comp.

I am insured with AXA for my car and AON are a parent/sister company they said.

The bike would be a 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600cc non restricted valued at €2200.

I'd need to do the IBT first before they issue any insurance.

i have only 10 months left to renew the provisional or else i must resit the theory test.

• Advertisement

That's ridiculously cheap! Go for it.

That's ridiculously cheap! Go for it.

I really want to, the only reason i am getting it so cheap is i use the car mainly.

Can people advise me on the following either on thread or in PM.

1. What does the I.B.T consist of?

2. Cost.

3. Places in Cork that do it?

As it stands all i know is i am required to do modules 1,3 & 5.

My last bike was a Bandit 600 that was factory restricted.

A well known bike dealer in Co.Cork (JT Motorcycles) is willing to sort me out to get back on the road.

I really miss that freedom you have on a bike :(

IBT = 18 hours training consisting of classroom, carpark, and public road riding, around 500 euro cost, I don't know about cork IBT people

that's a great quote, imagine what it would be once you get the full license and a years NCB on the bike.. between 88 euro bike tax and that it would be not even worth considering not keeping it on even if it was very sporadic weekend use...

you know you want to

IBT = 18 hours training consisting of classroom, carpark, and public road riding, around 500 euro cost, I don't know about cork IBT people

that's a great quote, imagine what it would be once you get the full license and a years NCB on the bike.. between 88 euro bike tax and that it would be not even worth considering not keeping it on even if it was very sporadic weekend use...

you know you want to

:D:D:D

I'll definitely get it sorted. i'll be heading for a 3rd provisional at this stage as i left my second one lapse with a year still left on it.

Money aside would it make a difference if i got the 3rd provisional with IBT 13, & 5 or start from complete scratch and do all 5 modules?

After 9 years of not riding a bike it will be strange.

I've found a guy here called Declan O'Donoghue, local bikers swear by him.

Even the dealers do.

Actually heading out looking at a few bandit's later.

The 1200's are a bit cheaper than the 6's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

pittsburgh wrote: »
    if i pass will this bring the premium down?

Thanks

Honestly, I was told by an instructor and insurance companies before that a full licence is only equivalent to a full IBT so not worth a whole lot discount wise.

Things could have changed.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Honestly, I was told by an instructor and insurance companies before that a full licence is only equivalent to a full IBT so not worth a whole lot discount wise.

Things could have changed.

Never knew. Has anyone here done the IBT?

I know nobody personally who has done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

2010 Hyosung GV250 - 4 years NCB, Liberty 3rd party - €240
    I though that was a decent price considering it's the machine I ride 50km on every day.
    Looks like I should have asked Principal!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

KC161 wrote: »
    Never knew. Has anyone here done the IBT?

I know nobody personally who has done it.

If you have both it will help of course and also consider doing likes of other higher training. See if some would discount for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Quote i got was from AON.

Aged 32
    Licence: Provisional
    NCB: 0
    Quote €190 fully comp.

There has to be a catch? I've never got a quote that low, ever. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

MargeS wrote: »

No catch. i predominantly use my car. can't use 2 vehicles at once.

I had to give that declaration also.

Subject to IBT.

Liberty quoted 450 F.C

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You're a fair man for the information Andy!:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads lets keep this to Insurance chat - there is another thread for IBT discussion. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

MargeS wrote: »

Mainly the fact that AON don't operate in the bike market anymore and AXA have taken over directly since 2013 (approx) and have a minimum premium of €260 (approx).

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Mainly the fact that AON don't operate in the bike market anymore and AXA have taken over directly since 2013 (approx) and have a minimum premium of €260 (approx).

I'm with AXA continuously since 2008, never once have i paid below €550 for my insurance with them.

I renewed recently for €800 on my car.

Maybe this has a bearing on the quote i received for a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

I'm with AXA continuously since 2008, never once have i paid below €550 for my insurance with them.

I renewed recently for €800 on my car.

Maybe this has a bearing on the quote i received for a bike.

Fair play. But as former staff I'm still doubting it. Especially as they won't quote a learner without a Grade 2 on a Bandit.

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Fair play. But as former staff I'm still doubting it. Especially as they won't quote a learner without a Grade 2 on a Bandit.

They quoted me as if i had already done the IBT.

I haven't and would therefore need it. The quote isn't valid as i type however i must stress that, it expired recently, but i was told 'it wouldn't change much'

I had a bandit insured before with Liberty (2008) on a provisional.

I accept what you say as well being former staff, but i'm not going to come on here and 'pull it outta me arse'

I'm not David Drumm :D

I'll get a new quote online and see the difference.

The one i got was over the phone

Edit: can't get an online quote, over the phone again only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Would i get a shock if i applied for bike insurance these days? I remember the good old days of getting insured for 300e with Quinn!

33 years old, full bike licence for 10 years but havent had bike insurance for 8 years. Thinking of going for an older CBR600f or a CB400 - tame!

Any ideas?

you'll probably get a quote close to 300 quid only way to find out is to ring though

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Last year €330 with Cornmarket - renewal this year €550 odd...No major change is details except secondary bike changed (98 VFR800 to 95XT600E). Time to ring around

Male , 26 years old

Last year 575 on a 98 zx6r.... Learner permit - 0 NCB - with MCE ( no-one else would quote)

This year 390 on a 02 zx9r.... Full licence - 1 NCB - with carol nash :) ( Bet MCE by a 10r)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Male 36, 10 years NCB, R1200GS

Adelaide: 416 (renewal)
    Principal: 309 (400 excess)
    MCE: 554
    CN: 365 (560 excess)
    CN (after telling them about my Principal quote): 312 (250 excess)

Went with CN in the end, much less excess for 3 euro.

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Male , 26 years old

Last year 575 on a 98 zx6r.... Learner permit - 0 NCB - with MCE ( no-one else would quote)

This year 390 on a 02 zx9r.... Full licence - 1 NCB - with carol nash :) ( Bet MCE by a 10r)
    I'd be inclined to pay the extra 10 and support the guys that allowed you on the road last year.

I don't even call Carol Nash or Adelaide, they didn't want my money when they deemed me to young so they can **** off if they think they're getting it now.

I'd be inclined to pay the extra 10 and support the guys that allowed you on the road last year.

I don't even call Carol Nash or Adelaide, they didn't want my money when they deemed me to young so they can **** off if they think they're getting it now.

Heard bad things about MCE , their excess is madness (lucky i never had to deal with them) , i dont think that quote covers breakdown etc .

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

300TPFT 2nd year insurance @39yrs old. it'll be cheaper the end of this year hopefully after giving in proof of full licence :D
    seamus wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a feel of what everyone else is being quoted for their insurance.

I started off 3.5 years ago with Hibernian, who charged me €2,400 TPO on a Suzuki Marauder 125cc. First renewal - my insurance dropped €200. Second renewal (18 months ago), my insurance *went up* by that same €200 to €2,400. So that year, I switched to Carole Nash, at €1650 TPO. At that time, AON were quoting me similar to Hibernian, being one and the same. My last renewal with CN, my insurance dropped a piddling amount to €1,430 TPO.

Now, I passed my test today, and gave CN a ring. I'm refunded €150. Em, ok.

So as it stands:
    Licence: Full
    NCB: 3 years
    Bike: Honda Varadero 125 (Group 2).

Carole Nash: €1,270 TPO
    AON/Axa: €568 TPO (I rang them today - Fully comp is *still cheaper* than the above CN price).

Has anyone else been getting quotes this good from Aon?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement