Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yurp, afraid so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Honda varadero xl 1000
    Fully comp riders policy a load of other bits and bobs
    14 years n.c.b recognised
    M.C.E Insurance
    €176.40 cents.
    Feeling like an older state's man with both bike and quote 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

MargeS wrote: »
    Female
    Licence: Full for 8 yrs
    NCB: 10 years
    Bike: 06 Ducati 695

Current policy: Liberty, 412 euro
    MargeS wrote: »
    TBH this was last September, and I did ring around at the time.
    I think I recall a couple of years back, Carole Nash saying that a Ducati would bring higher quotes. But the damn thing is 11 years old now, worth about 2000 if I was lucky.

Not a million miles away from my policy details, but mine is almost €100 cheaper.
    Licence: Full for about 10 years
    NCB: 10 years
    Bike: 08 Ducati hypermotard 1100
    Fully comp in a high risk area (Dublin 12) is €330 with Adelaide.

Expecting it to jump next year when Adelaide are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

blanchy that is a bit high quote, I got my first bike quote last year 2003 sv650s A2 provisional license for 481 euro tpft age 21

but could be down to where you are keeping it etc..

Its probably because I'm in Dublin and the bike is kept in an carpark.

Axa wouldnt give me a quote, principal wanted 990 and CN quoted 1200 and then went down to 850

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Licence: Full for 10+ years
    NCB: 6 years
    Bike: 171 BMW S1000RR
    Fully Comp Dublin 16 is €871.52 with Cornmarket (Insurer is RSA).

Robbing C*nts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Licence: Just passed test
    NCB: 1 year
    Bike: 2016 XSR700
    Home location: North Wicklow, off public road
    Annual distance: 9000km
    Full comp with Liberty at about €575 after discounts
    Discounts: -25% for rider assessment, -11% for 1yr NCB

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads I'm up for renewal this week, with Cornmarket and got it down to €447. Carole Nash quoted me €419. Quotes are mostly the same - which company is better, or any others worth trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Cornmarket dont offer personal accident insurance where as CN will fo a bit extra on the policy. IMO its worth adding that on and going with CN

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Zascar wrote: »
    Lads I'm up for renewal this week, with Cornmarket and got it down to €447. Carole Nash quoted me €419. Quotes are mostly the same - which company is better, or any others worth trying?

Been with Carol Nash 2 years now from Cornmarket, haven't looked back - tried Principle this year but Carol Nash still beat them when I went back, plus got a free DNA coding kit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

zascar ring principal.. 329.99 my quote is.. I'm 22.. I should not be paying less than you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭prunudo

Renewal time.

Have been with Adelaide/Cornmarket, they were always competitive and never had an issue with them. They quoted me €330 ( up on last year) but decided to go elsewhere as I wasnt sure what would happen if there a claim or other issues over the next 12 months.

Rang Carole Nash, they came in just under €300, asked could they do better and he came back with €259, happy days.
    Posted out documents which I prefer than the email set up the others had.

Bike 09 er6n
    37 yr old male
    7 yr no claims
    Pillion, full comp, legal and breakdown cover

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Went with Carole Nash in the end. Got it for 419 - which is a good bit down from the 570 I was originally quoted but it took about 6 phone calls back and forward. All the bells and whistles on the policy and for 2 bikes. Next year it should come down as it's 5 years since my claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Riva10 wrote: »
    Renewal 28-06-17. 2010 FJR, '152 Super Tenere €603.75 Axa.
    Male, 55, Full licence. Full NCB
    Tried Principal. No Quote, I need Thatcham approved alarm/immobiliser.

Tried Carol Nash today 02-06-17 €573.04

Went with Principal. Even with the price if a Meta alarm the total came to less than Axa. Principal Quote €439. Fully comp. Pillion cover and 10K miles each motorcycle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Learner permit.
    Age 40
    0 years no claims bonus
    Bike 06 Bandit GSF 650s (ABS)
    No Alarm,
    Dublin,
    Principal Insurance 529 TPFT, Breakdown, Legal Cover. (Actually very sound to deal with too I have to say.)

10 weeks ago the thought of getting back on a bike after an 18 year absence was a fleeting one, got organised pretty quickly (actually amazed how it came together to be honest) and now I'm ready to roll on Friday, I'm pretty happy with 529.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

€240 tpft on a gsxr k5 750 with MCE.
    5 years no claims and full license 3 years.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Licence: Full / 23 years
    NCD: 1 year (previous NCD lapsed - 9 year gap)
    Bike: 1999 BMW R1100RT
    Area: Co Kildare
    Use: Commuting, pillion, 10k miles

Principal €299 TPFT (incl breakdown/legal)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Insurance Companies.... They're a funny old bunch!
    I transferred a 07 Tiger to a 08 Tuono Factory-R, both with aftermarket cans and I gave both same valuation.

I was expecting them to say I had to pay extra as I suppose the Tuono would be considered more or less a Naked Track bike to use on the road and the Tiger,a bit more subdued.

So I was surprised to hear that I would be refunded the princely sum of €4.50(-€2 admin fees):pac:

Got my renewal from Axa today.
    Male
    37 years old
    Cork City
    Bmw k1300s
    Fully comp, no claims
    €514

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Got my renewal from Axa today.
    Male
    37 years old
    Cork City
    Bmw k1300s
    Fully comp, no claims
    €514

Give Principal a ring.

Bmw k1300s

Totally off topic but what do you think of the k1300s? Is it a bit big and heavy at all?

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Totally off topic but what do you think of the k1300s? Is it a bit big and heavy at all?

It is but it's really well balanced. Not too hard to push around and when it's on the move it's pretty nimble. It feels like it's glued to the road, excellent handling on the motorway and very capable on twisty roads. Also extremely comfortable. Great ergonomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

My insurance was up for renewal recently on my SR125, but i was planning to buy a MT125A if i could get a decent enough quote, made a few calls to get quotes for each bike and for multibike policy:

Fully Comprehensive 00 SR125 / 172 MT 125 / Multibike

Carole Nash 278.94 / 433.82 / 444.32
    Liberty 374.33 / 374.33 /didnt get a quote, think it's 10% discount?
    Principal 218.53 / 268.53 /322.03

Didn't bother with any others, was happy with the principal quote so went ahead and bought the MT :) Had to laugh at the multibike quote with Principal being €50 cheaper than a single bike quote with Liberty lol

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Just got 50quid off my policy with Carole Nash for passing my test (less the 25euro admin charge)
    This was for a late 30's first timer, on a '15 CB500X, in Dublin area, original policy was eur700.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Licence: Full / 12 years
    NCD: 2 year - Claim on wifes car policy in 2015. No previous bike experience/insurance.
    Bike: 2000 Aprille Habanna 50cc (used as a guide more than anything else)
    Area: Co Wicklow
    Use: Commuting, 10k miles

Carole Nash €275 TPFT, €400 FC.

Seems like a decent quote to me? does it add up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

TheShow wrote: »
    Licence: Full / 12 years
    NCD: 2 year - Claim on wifes car policy in 2015. No previous bike experience/insurance.
    Bike: 2000 Aprille Habanna 50cc (used as a guide more than anything else)
    Area: Co Wicklow
    Use: Commuting, 10k miles

Carole Nash €275 TPFT, €400 FC.

Seems like a decent quote to me? does it add up?

Give principle a ring , seems abit hefty for a scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Licence: Provisional Bike - Full Car
    NCD: None - Car doesn't count toward the bike

Bike: 2000 Honda Deauville 650cc

Area: Co Cork

Use: Commuting, 8k miles

Went with Principal -
    Comprehensive - €450
    Third Party/Fire/Theft - €400

Worth the extra €50 and went with the comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

I switched bikes mid-year so I'm hazy on how much a full year with Cornmarket would have cost for my '16 Yamaha XV950R but it was around 700-730. I have 12 years no claim bonus.

CN have quoted 696 fully comp, no claim bonus fully protected. Excess 365.

MCE quoted 588 but with an unbelievable excess of 2,000!

Principle said there was no point quoting as the value of the bike (11,000!) meant it has to be fitted with a top rated alarm, an immobiliser and garaged. Which would mean moving house!

Liberty saved the day. 344 fully comp, excess 250, no claim bonus fully protected and like the others they include Roadside and Homestart breakdown recovery.

I won't ask CN to match the Liberty quote because, like others here, I don't want to see the bike insurance available to us in the future shrink down to just CN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 UknowY

Licence: Provisional ( 1 year)
    NCD: 1 year
    + (Rider Assessment Cert Level 4)

Bike: 1999 Suzuki Bandit 600 S

Area: South Dublin

Use: Commuting, 15 000 km, no pillion

Third Party,Fire,Theft - €465 (Comprehensive €630)

Was with Liberty (Third Party,Fire,Theft). Last year they offered me ~€763 (Down to €642 with Rider Assessment Cert). Considering my age, zero experience and size of the bike - I've got their offer. This year renewal was...€620, even considering now I have 1 year NCD + Rider Assessment cert. Canceled and filled online quote next day - €465. So stayed with Liberty for now. Full driving licence (next month) will get me discount of €20 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Licence: Full 35+ years
    NCD: 7 years
    Penalty points: 2
    Bike: 1989 Honda CB-1 400cc
    Area: Limerick City
    Use: Commuting, Social & Personal, 5001k miles
    Covered for carrying pillion passengers and driving other bikes (once they're taxed and insured).

Carole Nash have quoted me €216 full comp with legal cover, full NCB protection, Roadside and Homestart breakdown recovery, basically all the doodahs (the renewal they'd sent out was for €266).

Hurray for the aul' fellas' club. ;)

Question is, is it worth my while even trying the others? Has anyone ever got an insurer down to <€200, in the last couple of years? (up until 2015 I could get the standard RSA policy through Adelaide for €187, before Cornmarket took 'em over and slapped on an extra €40...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Renewal time :)

26 , full license , 2 years NCB , K3 GSXR1000

MCE - 577

Principle - 349

CN - 465

Mad considering MCE where the only crowd to touch me on a zx6r and zx9r while on a permit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement