Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

22 full A2 with 2 years NCB. ER5 valued at a grand.

CN renewal was 850 (up from 670 last year)

Argued them down to 576, told them I wasn't happy with it considering I now had a full license.

Rang principal and was offered 448.

Rang CN back and got it for 430.

CN with a near 50% decrease over their initial quote. Crazy how they pull these numbers out of nowhere and hope some people aren't arsed ringing a round.

Delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you could go cheaper again.. I'm on 330 euro sv650 22 with 1 year ncb full A2 license with principal

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

you could go cheaper again.. I'm on 330 euro sv650 22 with 1 year ncb full A2 license with principal

I read your post about your quote before and that's one of the reasons I argued down the phone so much at them this year.

Principal seem to have a practice of "best quote first" your man said that to me today. Last year I got one quote off them, that was it, they wouldn't budge when I came back with CN's quote.

Who knows, you may have a nicer address than me or something that's keeping yours lower. Their algorithms seem a bit nuts.

I keep mine garaged and so it's not insured if it gets stolen from home.. That could be the difference I was also very lucky in the way I was able to play them and cn off each other.. It involves a lie about cn "mishearing" my 379 quote as 329 and matching it... Which didn't happen but principal bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

hey guys, insurance time again. CN looking for circa 350, full ncb, garaged 2005 hayabusa, 42 yr old full licence.

Who is doing good insurance deals at the moment?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Licence: Full A since '08

NCD: 9yrs

Bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX1400

Area: Co Cork

Use: > 5,000miles

Went with Carole Nash -
    Comprehensive - €238
    Full NCD protection
    International Roadside assistance
    Riding other bikes
    Pillion cover
    Occasional commuting
    Legal cover

The interesting thing is that I asked for a quote to add a €2,500 Xt660X as a second bike and the quote went up to €470 or so. I made the point that it didn't make any sense so she made some inquiries and was told that trials bikes come with a very high loading... which was news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cantdecide wrote: »

Licence: Full A since '08

NCD: 9yrs

Bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX1400

Area: Co Cork

Use: > 5,000miles

Went with Carole Nash -
    Comprehensive - €238
    Full NCD protection
    International Roadside assistance
    Riding other bikes
    Pillion cover
    Occasional commuting
    Legal cover

The interesting thing is that I asked for a quote to add a €2,500 Xt660X as a second bike and the quote went up to €470 or so. I made the point that it didn't make any sense so she made some inquiries and was told that trials bikes come with a very high loading... which was news to me.
    Trials or Trail?
    They are quite different.
    cota%20315%20r.jpg
    Trials

20014_0_1_2_xr%20400%20r_Image%20by%20Honda.%20Published%20with%20permission..jpg
    Trail.

My guess is that a lot of them get robbed in urban areas, leading to high claims for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Licence: Full A since June

NCD: 1 year

Bike: 2009 Suzuki GSXR 600
    2016 KTM 390 Duke

Area: Co Donegal

Use: > 3,000 and 1000 Miles

Looks like MCE
    Multibike 3pft - €390
    Roadside assistance
    Riding other bikes

Waiting to hear from Carole Nash but principle were over 500 for just the gsxr, And said if I wanted to change at the end of the summer to maybe a panigale they said they couldn’t cover me, but until I hear from Nash 390 would seem a great price!

Any opinions on MCE? I remember some complaints on here in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Quick question, does anyone know who insures company bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Hi, can I ask an opinion to you guys? I have the bike since last year (I paid tons of money last year, apparently I will this year as well...) and in need to renew my policy now. :|

Age32, Dublin
    Licence Type: Full (Irish/UK/EU)
    Duration Held: 3 Years

BMW R1100S
    Type of Use: S,D & P including commuting

Compulsory Excess: €250
    No Claims Discount: 1 year discount
    Rider Training: No

Liberty asks 735 for Third Party, Fire & Theft and 956 for Comprehensive.
    Is that so high or just fine? I spoke to them many times, there's no way they would go down. Reading this post seems many of you can easily get quotes for less than 500.

Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement

queldy wrote: »
    Hi, can I ask an opinion to you guys? I have the bike since last year (I paid tons of money last year, apparently I will this year as well...) and in need to renew my policy now. :|

Age32, Dublin
    Licence Type: Full (Irish/UK/EU)
    Duration Held: 3 Years

BMW R1100S
    Type of Use: S,D & P including commuting

Compulsory Excess: €250
    No Claims Discount: 1 year discount
    Rider Training: No

Liberty asks 735 for Third Party, Fire & Theft and 956 for Comprehensive.
    Is that so high or just fine? I spoke to them many times, there's no way they would go down. Reading this post seems many of you can easily get quotes for less than 500.

Thanks everyone!
    liberty always quote high for me, but you can do a rider assessment for them and get a discount of I think 20%? that would bring you at least a bit closer to the 500 you mention..
    you should ring Principal insurance too they are who I'm with

but things that could be against you, where you live, and where you park the bike.. if it isn't garaged then that will up the quote considerably and if it's in an underground carpark then its really easy for it to be stolen.. and you also have commuting usage, lots of quotes posted here are for social, domestic, and pleasure use only so they would be less than your quote

liberty always quote high for me, but you can do a rider assessment for them and get a discount of I think 20%? that would bring you at least a bit closer to the 500 you mention..
    you should ring Principal insurance too they are who I'm with

but things that could be against you, where you live, and where you park the bike.. if it isn't garaged then that will up the quote considerably and if it's in an underground carpark then its really easy for it to be stolen.. and you also have commuting usage, lots of quotes posted here are for social, domestic, and pleasure use only so they would be less than your quote

Hi, thank you!
    Yes I should have said, it is underground carpark... on the online form they only know "Garaged". And thanks for pointing it out, but I cannot separate "SDP" from "Commuting", it lets me choose between "Business" and "SPD including commuting" only.
    And 20% could be a lot, I'll have a look.

Thanks a lot

queldy wrote: »
    Hi, thank you!
    Yes I should have said, it is underground carpark... on the online form they only know "Garaged". And thanks for pointing it out, but I cannot separate "SDP" from "Commuting", it lets me choose between "Business" and "SPD including commuting" only.
    And 20% could be a lot, I'll have a look.

Thanks a lot

be careful saying 'garaged' if it is an underground carpark.. I think that would count as 'on private property'

on the phone with them you should be able to get SDP only. I wouldn't ever bother getting online quotes they will always be much cheaper on the phone

while on the phone to liberty you can ask them about the rider assessment to get the discount. if you get a level 1 (or else level 3 not sure which is best) it's a decent discount. You need to pay a bike instructor to do the assessment but when your quote is so high it'll be worth it to get 20% or whatever off your quote.

call the other insurers first though carole nash, principal, MCE

Call principal first and just tell them where you keep the bike and ask what you should be describing that as for the purpose of insurance.. (eg. garaged, on private property etc.) just so you're 100% covered if the bike gets stolen from the underground (touch wood it doesn't)

your 1 year ncb will considerably bring down the quotes.. 900 fully comp is high

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Principal are looking for €580 from me, CN are €400. Adelaide were only €350. Suppose €400 isn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Quick question in here.

Will insurance companies in Ireland accept a full licence from Canada? Namely British Columbia? Or will they only accept Irish ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#holders-of-licences-issued-by-recognised-states

Your license is valid for a year from when you moved here. Luckily Canada is one of the few countries where you can just exchange your license for an Irish one if you are going to stay here longer. As far as I know your insurance may be significantly more expensive with a foreign license, it would be with car insurance.. Best thing to do is get a quote online, then change the details from a Canadian to Irish license and see how much difference there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

What sorts of quotes have people who were with cornmarket been getting off Carole Nash?

Who they have designated to take over from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Right lads/lassies, its that time of year again :D

So i got thee quote from Carol Nash as Adelaide are now no more and i also got a quote from Principle who were a few quid cheaper.

Both polices seem to be near enough the same, break down recovery no claims protection, travel to work etc. and difference is 9 euro between the policies but excess is more with Principle.

Just want to get a feeling on what Principle are like from people that have gone with them, need to move fast on this one as policy is up this Friday :eek:

Underwriter with Principle is Tansar and for Carol Nash is Ageas

So any advise is most welcome :)

i have never claimed with anyone but tell principal carole nash are 9 quid cheaper and they'll match it without a second of thought

and if principal are 9 quid cheaper tell carole nash that and they'll match it without a second of thought

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Can't really tell which of the Insurance companies are the better one. I have always let the premium dictate who I'm insured with. They will all try and screw you and you will have to supply the lube. :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am with Principle, the seem to be easy to deal with, I have never got a decent quote from CN so they don't register with me.
    Principle moved into the gap when Adelaide left and gave decent quotes so for that reason I went with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Principal here since I started 3 yes ago. Carol Nash were very competitive this year but principal bettered them. I much prefer dealing with bike insurance than car. As they will compete hard to get your business

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Liberty said they won't take on new business for 1000cc sport bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

st1979 wrote: »
    Liberty said they won't take on new business for 1000cc sport bikes

S1000RR is only 999cc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Goose81 wrote: »
    What sorts of quotes have people who were with cornmarket been getting off Carole Nash?

Who they have designated to take over from them

I was with cornmarket and got a quote from CN in the post. The quote I got over the phone from CN was about €50 cheaper than the one in the post. Was way cheaper than Principle and almost the same as cornmarket, so went with it. Think it was about €380
    Dublin 12 address
    Ducati Hypermotard 1100
    Full clean licence, NCB for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Right lads/lassies, its that time of year again :D

So i got thee quote from Carol Nash as Adelaide are now no more and i also got a quote from Principle who were a few quid cheaper.

Both polices seem to be near enough the same, break down recovery no claims protection, travel to work etc. and difference is 9 euro between the policies but excess is more with Principle.

Just want to get a feeling on what Principle are like from people that have gone with them, need to move fast on this one as policy is up this Friday :eek:

Underwriter with Principle is Tansar and for Carol Nash is Ageas

So any advise is most welcome :)

Rang CN today, as policy up tomorrow, told them i got a cheaper quote elsewhere (Principle) asked if they could do anything based on the lettter they sent me. Boom, saved just under 70 euro on there orginal quote.

Fully Comp on VFR800
    Dublin 17 address
    11 Yrs No Claims and full licence 10yrs
    300 Yo Yo's

Quote was actually cheaper than last years with Adelaide :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Rang CN today, as policy up tomorrow, told them i got a cheaper quote elsewhere (Principle) asked if they could do anything based on the lettter they sent me. Boom, saved just under 70 euro on there orginal quote.

Fully Comp on VFR800
    Dublin 17 address
    11 Yrs No Claims and full licence 10yrs
    300 Yo Yo's

Quote was actually cheaper than last years with Adelaide :D
    Just show how the Insurance companies are screwing each and every one of us :eek:

be careful saying 'garaged' if it is an underground carpark.. I think that would count as 'on private property'

on the phone with them you should be able to get SDP only. I wouldn't ever bother getting online quotes they will always be much cheaper on the phone

while on the phone to liberty you can ask them about the rider assessment to get the discount. if you get a level 1 (or else level 3 not sure which is best) it's a decent discount. You need to pay a bike instructor to do the assessment but when your quote is so high it'll be worth it to get 20% or whatever off your quote.

call the other insurers first though carole nash, principal, MCE

Call principal first and just tell them where you keep the bike and ask what you should be describing that as for the purpose of insurance.. (eg. garaged, on private property etc.) just so you're 100% covered if the bike gets stolen from the underground (touch wood it doesn't)

your 1 year ncb will considerably bring down the quotes.. 900 fully comp is high

Got 540 with Principal. Was > 900 with Liberty, and they would not go down at all! (lucky I had the impression they were raping me, and lucky I asked you guys, so thanks)
    I think I could have got better, but I accepted this one. I did not call many companies, it is not a pleasant experience for me as a foreigner to get a quote on a phone with an Irish speaker [what? sorry? say it again please. yes, ah no no, sorry; yes, no! what?? what did you say again? would you please slow down...? WHY are you NOT slowing down!!! :D ]

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Another quick one.

A neighbour of mine who lived abroad for a few years in Asia, said that I might find it tough getting insurance here now cause I lived abroad for a few years.

Anyone know if there is any truth to something like this? Particularly with bikes?

FYI, he lived in Asia for a number of years, I was in Vancouver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Who does the IBT for cavan area. Thanks.:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement