Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Who does the IBT for cavan area. Thanks.:confused:

RSA.ie

William Donohoe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Gintonious wrote: »
    Another quick one.

A neighbour of mine who lived abroad for a few years in Asia, said that I might find it tough getting insurance here now cause I lived abroad for a few years.

Anyone know if there is any truth to something like this? Particularly with bikes?

FYI, he lived in Asia for a number of years, I was in Vancouver.

From my experience pretty much anything is an excuse to jack up the premium. I think ring around a couple to get an idea.
    No claims on a bike and you want insurance on the car for the first time? Doesn't matter, the driving experience or no claims don't apply.
    You had a claim on that bike? We need to know, we're going to jack up your premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm up for renewal next month and I got a renewal price of over €1100 from Carole Nash. My policy for the same bike and same value was €380 in 2016.

Model: 2018 BMW R1200GS Adv TB
    NCB: 8 years
    Licence: Full A for 14 years.
    Premium: €1138 !!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Carole Nash were yanking my chain with a €1221 renewal quote initially

2015 Tiger 800
    1 year full licence, 1 year NCB
    37 living in Dublin

Carole Nash €1121 fully comp
    Liberty €852 fully comp, €655 tpft
    Principal €641 fully comp

Carole Nash eventually came back recognising my 1 year NCB and offered renewal of €567 - which is some comedown from the initial quote. Bunch of chancers. They barely wanted to give me the renewal quote until I told them what budget I had. Still took 3 phone calls to get them down to that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Any recommendations for Principle?

I'm with Carroll Nash but annoyed at the change policy details (adding bike) when within policy.

CN seem keen to match any price but Principle's initial quote was much more competitive.

Also any recommendations on what to ensure is included in the policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

Any recommendations for Principle?

I'm with Carroll Nash but annoyed at the change policy details (adding bike) when within policy.

CN seem keen to match any price but Principle's initial quote was much more competitive.

Also any recommendations on what to ensure is included in the policy

Hammer other companies when they ask what you got, the last quote I got from principal I said to Carole Nash it was 50 quid cheaper and she goes yeah grand we will beat it by 1 eur, I reckon I could have got it way cheaper.
    low ball them completely, tell them a fake price and take the piss like say 300 euro under and see what they come back with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Goose81 wrote: »
    Hammer other companies when they ask what you got, the last quote I got from principal I said to Carole Nash it was 50 quid cheaper and she goes yeah grand we will beat it by 1 eur, I reckon I could have got it way cheaper.
    low ball them completely, tell them a fake price and take the piss like say 300 euro under and see what they come back with

Shocking behavior but I do it myself all the time and have yet to have it fail.

Once however CN did once accuse me of lying when I told them what Quinn had quoted me (was a good while back) even though I was actually telling it straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bladespin wrote: »
    Shocking behavior but I do it myself all the time and have yet to have it fail.

Once however CN did once accuse me of lying when I told them what Quinn had quoted me (was a good while back) even though I was actually telling it straight.

If they won't quote me a decent price first then they lose my business.

I have found Principal and Adelaide before them the best for me. CN never ever gave me a decent quote so I don't bother with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭plonker

Just something to watch folks with CN,I bought a bike up north last August and CN refused point blank to cover me to test ride it or drive it home if I bought it,Ive since found out that Principle will insure bikes on uk plate for a month until you get it changed over ,I had felt bad about not moving back to Principal as there was only a few euro difference so thought it not worth the hassle but my policy is up next month and if Principle are anywhere near CN(which I reckon they will)I'll go with them,I just fear that CN are trying to price out the competition and get the monopoly and then screw us big time,we seen this b4 in the 80's,90 with Norwich union etc

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Renewed insurance on the blade yesterday...

I was with mce but they are pulling out of Ireland due to Brexit

Male, 46, 2 years ncb
    2000 fireblade 929rr
    All quotes for tpf&t
    Paid 292 last year for 2 bikes

Liberty 240
    Principal 234
    Carol Nash first quoted 333 so I told them my renewal with mce was 205 but I'd rather insure with a company with a local office but would still go with lowest quote and they came back with €200

Never had a drop like that before so I'm well happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm up for renewal next month and I got a renewal price of over €1100 from Carole Nash. My policy for the same bike and same value was €380 in 2016.

Model: 2018 BMW R1200GS Adv TB
    NCB: 8 years
    Licence: Full A for 14 years.
    Premium: €1138 !!! :mad:

Holy fúck, that's some jump. I was in a similar situation with my gs a few years ago and I was shocked when it doubled to about €730.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Holy fúck, that's some jump. I was in a similar situation with my gs a few years ago and I was shocked when it doubled to about €730.

Your man on the phone started getting shirty with me over it when I asked him why it was triple last year. Told me it was a new bike and new year. That didn't explain anything.

I think they are just trying their luck because the market just got a lot smaller.

Went with Principal recently, wanted to move to keep as many in the market as possible.

Got them to beat CN, and which they did, and they threw in all the extra coverage...pillion, commuting etc on top of that.

They were easy to deal with, good customer service.

(CN charged me the renewal - lost instructions/different department not updating the system bah bah bah...but told I would be given a full refund)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've never used carol n as I've never had a decent quote off them .

They won't get my business

What are the excess's that people are being quoted for new policies ? I was quoted a an excess of €650 on a new policy with CN.

What are the excess's that people are being quoted for new policies ? I was quoted a an excess of €650 on a new policy with CN.

350e is what I got with Principal (I was told that 350e was standard)

650 seems excessive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd recommend Principal, lads there have been sound enough and cheaper than CN too.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'd recommend Principal, lads there have been sound enough and cheaper than CN too.

They wouldn't quote me :mad:

They wouldn't quote me :mad:

On the GS? That's mad.

Funnily enough I called them recently and they wouldn't quote, but I'm still on the provisional so it made sense.

• Advertisement

Honda Deauville 650.

Pretty cheap to insure, good for commuting and light touring. Not sexy, but a good ride all the same.

I had a go of one of them in Lee Honda recently, they were very nice.

I'll be straight up in saying the Deauville is known as the Dullville, in a mostly affectionate way.

It's reliable as hell, runs very reliably and get's great mileage. Weather protection is very good too, especially if you pop on some wind deflectors.

Personally I really enjoy mine as you can get into a corner nicely (but not too nicely), but the SV650 is a damn good bike too.

My advice is try and ride both and see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

2004 SV650S
    provisional license
    age 50
    principal €340 fully comp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Learner Permit

Honda Varadero XL 125 2003
    Carole Nash €331 third party fire theft
    Principle €375 third party fire theft

I'd normally pay the whole thing upfront but I've car insurance on the 04th May and €500 to pay for IBT first week of May, anyone paid by direct debit with Carole Nash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

The Carola Nash one requires it within 30 days, I believe Principle were working off something Similar. I'm taking the Policy out on the 4th May and the IBT is booked for 5th and 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Birdypal

21 yr old male
    provisional Irish Licence
    1992 Suzuki GS400E
    1 Years No Claims/No Points/No Accidents.
    TPFT
    breakdown cover
    With Carol Nash was €450

Rang Around, spoke with Liberty and MCE which quoted me a little higher but Carol Nash were happy to match it, was insured with them last year, finished in December and only getting around to renewing now.

I would highly recommend ringing around and even make up a quote from another company to see if it works, I don't know where these guys are getting their pricing from.

Defo gonna go with Carol Nash, never had an issue with these guys..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement