Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

try principal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

wrong side of 50, full NCB, RoSPA,

'05 H-D Road King
    Aprilia Atlantic 500
    Full Comp, with marshaling cover

€289 with C-N

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So...bad day for me

32, just moved back from Canada, where I had a full bike licence in BC for 3 years.
    Bike: BMW R nine T (that I shipped home)
    Currently on a Learner A

Carole Nash gave me a the "lowest quote" of 1,900..

Principal, Liberty and Axa wont even entertain me with a quote.

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

Gintonious wrote: »
    So...bad day for me

32, just moved back from Canada, where I had a full bike licence in BC for 3 years.
    Currently on a Learner A

Lovely.

Brutal. I moved from Ontario a few years back, same age as you. I managed to get an early model ZX-10R quote with Principal for somewhere between €1000-1100. I had some paperwork from my previous insurance companies, can't remember if that helped at all.

Did Principal say why they wouldn't quote you? What was their issue around?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

spray____ wrote: »
    Brutal. I moved from Ontario a few years back, same age as you. I managed to get an early model ZX-10R quote with Principal for somewhere between €1000-1100. I had some paperwork from my previous insurance companies, can't remember if that helped at all.

Just remembered; I got a quote on my Canadian drivers license. Their agent was the one who suggested it. You have a year of using it over here before you need to have an Irish license. They were more than happy to quote on it and the rate was really good. A year is more than enough time to do the exchange (if BC is one of the provinces that can do that, Ontario wasn't). Otherwise it's long enough for you to get your learner and pass the test.

• Advertisement

So...bad day for me

Currently on a Learner A

Lovely.

They said i needed to do a course and not be on a provisional.

I don't have to wait for 6 months to do the test so if i do get a full i should have more options.

Te lack of no claims is a pure killer.

I eventually got CN to give me a third party which comes to 1100, so looks like thats my only option...

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Good day for me!
    36 - haven't been on a bike in several years so no claims is long gone

CBR 600F3 - 3rd party fire and theft - €249.98!
    Carole Nash wouldn't quote me on it.Liberty were €820

Just remembered; I got a quote on my Canadian drivers license. Their agent was the one who suggested it. You have a year of using it over here before you need to have an Irish license. They were more than happy to quote on it and the rate was really good. A year is more than enough time to do the exchange (if BC is one of the provinces that can do that, Ontario wasn't). Otherwise it's long enough for you to get your learner and pass the test.

I have already exchanged my BC licence over, it exchnages for the car but not the bike.

Did my IBT already as my theory test was valid from 2004. And with my experice in BC, the 6 months wait will be waved on e i supply proof of that.

1100 i can live with. Its a pain starting from scratch when you move home, especially with insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

This was my experience with Carol Nash.

Had the gsxr insured with them for like 450 or something, asked before I bought the Ducati how much it would be and she goes 850 I was like grand. I buy the bike and they then tell me that the price was on top of what I'm already paying, do I win the prize for most expensive insurance ? Was so annoyed but what could I do, I had only just got the policy and they wanted a huge cancellation fee.

Let it be a lesson to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

@Goose, what age/experience have you got? That's scandalous, I wonder what principal etc would have quoted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Kawalski

Birdypal wrote: »
    21 yr old male
    provisional Irish Licence
    1992 Suzuki GS400E
    1 Years No Claims/No Points/No Accidents.
    TPFT
    breakdown cover
    With Carol Nash was €450

Rang Around, spoke with Liberty and MCE which quoted me a little higher but Carol Nash were happy to match it, was insured with them last year, finished in December and only getting around to renewing now.

I would highly recommend ringing around and even make up a quote from another company to see if it works, I don't know where these guys are getting their pricing from.

Defo gonna go with Carol Nash, never had an issue with these guys..

Aren't MCE pulling out of the Irish market?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kawalski

They said i needed to do a course and not be on a provisional.

I don't have to wait for 6 months to do the test so if i do get a full i should have more options.

Te lack of no claims is a pure killer.

I eventually got CN to give me a third party which comes to 1100, so looks like thats my only option...

When I moved back from the UK I couldn't get a realistic quote until I did a rider assessment, and that was with a full license.... For about 200 it was well worth it 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

Bandito909 wrote: »
    @Goose, what age/experience have you got? That's scandalous, I wonder what principal etc would have quoted

30, 2 or 3 years ncb. Tbh it wouldn't have been much cheaper , I didn't even ring because the cancellation fee was so much. It's valued at 12k fully comp so I'd imagine that's a good bit of the quote, also have a tracker on it but they didn't care

My main issue with them was a bit of common Sense, I said if my quote is 450 and you tell me 800 who in God's name thinks that's on top of what you are already paying.

Kawalski wrote: »
    When I moved back from the UK I couldn't get a realistic quote until I did a rider assessment, and that was with a full license.... For about 200 it was well worth it ��

They did mention that as well.

Might look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

35yrs
    Full licence
    2yrs NCB
    Kawasaki Z1000

So my renewal letter from Liberty came in the post a few weeks back and despite the ncb by premium had gone up from just under 1000 to almost 1100. I asked them if that was their best price and after much going back and forth they agreed to give me the super secret sound person discount down to 950. Carol Nash then offered the same price so I was starting to think I was snookered until I rang Principal and they quoted me 680 fully comp. I said grand but that I'd call back closer to the renewal date. Rang Liberty again with that quote and they said they could not match it or go any lower at all.

Fast forward to today and my existing policy expired at midnight last night. Called Liberty again just to confirm that they couldn't match the price and they put me on hold. While on hold I put my own details into their online quote system and was quoted 788 euro :confused: Back on the line with their sales agent he told me that the quote from a few weeks back was the best that they could do and that they had taken the liberty (pun intended) of renewing my policy with the DD to come out tomorrow. How sound of them. So I aksed him if 950 was the best price then why was their online system quoting me 788. A confused silence followed and I was back on hold.... a few minutes later he told me that they would honour their own online quote. How f*cking sound of them. I asked him why they didn't have the courtesy to give me that price when I had called them twice. No answer. So I politely asked to speak to someone up the chain and told them that while their business practice might represent the norm for them that it was an absolute disgrace and that I'd be making a formal complaint. Then hung up and made sure that the direct debit could not be processed my end.

Called Principal again who in the end offered me the same fully comp policy with all the bells and whistles (euro cover, legal fees, pillion passenger, 3rd party ins. on any bike etc.) for 559 euro.

Imagine walking into spar and applying the same sales logic to a litre of milk. Oh you bought milk here before? Its 2 euro. Oh wait your not happy, give us 1.80. Oh, you saw that our own sign outside says that its 1.50? I guess we'll honor that. Oh - its 1 euro in the shop next door? Well we'll just sit here and hope that people shop here first and are too stupid to look in the window.

W*nkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

COH wrote: »
    35yrs
    Full licence
    2yrs NCB
    Kawasaki Z1000

So my renewal letter from Liberty came in the post a few weeks back and despite the ncb by premium had gone up from just under 1000 to almost 1100. I asked them if that was their best price and after much going back and forth they agreed to give me the super secret sound person discount down to 950. Carol Nash then offered the same price so I was starting to think I was snookered until I rang Principal and they quoted me 680 fully comp. I said grand but that I'd call back closer to the renewal date. Rang Liberty again with that quote and they said they could not match it or go any lower at all.

Fast forward to today and my existing policy expired at midnight last night. Called Liberty again just to confirm that they couldn't match the price and they put me on hold. While on hold I put my own details into their online quote system and was quoted 788 euro :confused: Back on the line with their sales agent he told me that the quote from a few weeks back was the best that they could do and that they had taken the liberty (pun intended) of renewing my policy with the DD to come out tomorrow. How sound of them. So I aksed him if 950 was the best price then why was their online system quoting me 788. A confused silence followed and I was back on hold.... a few minutes later he told me that they would honour their own online quote. How f*cking sound of them. I asked him why they didn't have the courtesy to give me that price when I had called them twice. No answer. So I politely asked to speak to someone up the chain and told them that while their business practice might represent the norm for them that it was an absolute disgrace and that I'd be making a formal complaint. Then hung up and made sure that the direct debit could not be processed my end.

Called Principal again who in the end offered me the same fully comp policy with all the bells and whistles (euro cover, legal fees, pillion passenger, 3rd party ins. on any bike etc.) for 559 euro.

Imagine walking into spar and applying the same sales logic to a litre of milk. Oh you bought milk here before? Its 2 euro. Oh wait your not happy, give us 1.80. Oh, you saw that our own sign outside says that its 1.50? I guess we'll honor that. Oh - its 1 euro in the shop next door? Well we'll just sit here and hope that people shop here first and are too stupid to look in the window.

W*nkers!

They basically lost me for similar reasons 6 months ago. Company must have a strategy we don't get...

Liberty have always been like that in my experience. Wanted over 2k for my car insurance this year, got it for under a grand elsewhere. Will ring them this year for the bike but not expect any good price

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Liberty quoted me 1200 for fully comp on the phone, said they couldn't go any lower......checked their website and was quoted 800ish for exactly the same cover.

I rang principal and they quoted me €609

I know who I'm going with haha

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The mistake there is paying by direct debit, coming up to renewal time they already have one hand on your money so why wouldn't they screw you over?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

The mistake there is paying by direct debit, coming up to renewal time they already have one hand on your money so why wouldn't they screw you over?

For example, because you can cancel - as I did. One less customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

Getting back on the Bike after 6 years off, so have nada no claims.
    Bike is a second had CBF1000.
    Getting fully comp quotes, without pillion passenger as finding this saves a bit.
    Carole Nash in at 1668
    MCE 1283
    Liberty 1100
    Principal 885.
    Axa refused as dont have advanced Rider training.

Think I will be going for Principal

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Got my renewal through for €324 from CN, couldn’t do better elsewhere so with them again for 3rd year now

On a CBR1000RR

Can’t really complain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Just got renewal from Principal. 2010 FJR and 152 Tenere 1200. Pillion cover Unlimited mileage €406.70. Full NCB. Will shop around before renewal (27/06).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

43 years old, hayabusa & dragstar 650
    €357 fully comp with principal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

43 M living outside Dublin, brick garage.
    CBR900rr, ZXR750
    Fully comp, recovery, DNA kit, Legal cover, Personal accident and Gear
    €335, would've been €277 without PA and Gear, happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Age hath it's privilege but I'd prefer to pay more insurance !-/

Male 57
    License type Full
    Years held 3
    Driving experience 33 years
    NCD 0
    Claims 0
    Points 0
    Motorcycle Honda nt700v 2007
    Quote TPFT 430 FC 550
    Extra to carry pillion approx 100

Renewal quote from principal this morning

22, Full A2 for a year and a bit, 2 years NCB, no claims/points

TPFT: 297.19

last years quote was 329 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Kawalski wrote: »
    Aren't MCE pulling out of the Irish market?

Just spotted MCE as a option. I thought they were gone????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Renewal just came through in my email.

33 Male Cork
    Principal Insurance
    Learner licence (so lazy) going on to my 2nd year
    Honda Deauville 650

€440 fully comp.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Just got renewal from Principal. 2010 FJR and 152 Tenere 1200. Pillion cover Unlimited mileage €406.70. Full NCB. Will shop around before renewal (27/06).

Just renewed with Principal at €364.78. with Principal. Had shopped around and Carol Nash came in at €372.60.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement