Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

thos wrote: »
    So Carol Nash DID NOT send me a renewal, I happened to ring and check the renewal date to find it was next day, so a bit of a panic to get sorted.
    Initial quote from CN was 776, which they revised to 594 and finally to 519 when pushed.
    Liberty came in 877 and wouldn't go lower.
    Principal came in 698, and then revised to 506, so because CN had screwed me around, I thought it was worth the change.

Bike: Ducati Multistrada 950
    License: Full, 2yrs
    NCD: 2yrs
    Insurer: Principal, underwritten by AXA, fully comp, with breakdown, riding other bikes, 400 excess
    Price: €506.13

That was bad form from CN.

Those 2 are constantly at loggerheads over price I noticed when I was getting quotes.

Went with principal myself, tansar being the insurer, they have since stopped doing multi bike though and like yourself it seems to pro dominantly AXA.

My own is up in July so will be interesting to see the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

CN were using Ageas from UK, so also figured an Irish AXA underwriter might be a safer bet if some brexit **** goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Got the renewal notice from Carole Nash at €568.47 for full comp, telling them I had my full license now made little difference.

1 year ncb
    2008 CBF 600
    Got TPFT for €365 inc pillion (originally looked for €423)

She let slip about a minimum earnings they must make for the policies (they come in much higher and work with this minimum to haggle with). So the policy fee was around €84 at first and I asked the commission on the premium itself and it's around 20%.

The TPFT price I paid includes a fee of like €25 and a 20% commission(which is around €64). So if my math is right they're making around €89 from the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Another year

Male 40 years ish
    Honda varadero xl 1000
    Renewal with principal under written by axa
    20 years no claims
    Fully comp+ rider's policy
    €185
    €15 increase on last year but can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭allybhoy

First insurance, got quoted crazy money from Axa initially..

Bike: Honda NC700x
    License: Provisional A
    NCD: 0
    Insurer: Liberty (Got a discount for also having House insurance with them_
    Price: €580
    Cover: TPFT

I can get a discount by doing their Liberty Riding Skills Assessement, level 4 or level3, the guy i did my IBT with mentioned this to me so might look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

It's worth giving Carole Nash a ring for a quote also if you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Section 10 on the back

Don't think so: Section 10 date is the date they changed from the paper wallet one to the pink paper one, not the date of your test (if before that).

I did my test in 1988 - pink licences came in in 1990 - thats the date they took forward from then.

In fact, I suspect the 'Driver Number' in 4d is actually based on date of first licence............open to correction on that though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Bike: Yamaha MT10
    License: Full A
    NCD: 5
    Insurer: Carrol Nash on 2nd yr
    Price: €839, last yr ~980
    Cover: Fully comp.

Intrestingly enough. Liberty Would NOT insture the MT10 at all.
    Principal would not insure the Bike unless it was in a Garage every night.
    Axa quoted me 1300€ !!

My renewal was slightlly higher with CN but rang up and literally asked for a lower quote. was given the sub 800 almost straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

neildyr wrote: »
    Bike: Yamaha MT10
    License: Full A
    NCD: 5
    Insurer: Carrol Nash on 2nd yr
    Price: €839, last yr ~980
    Cover: Fully comp.

Intrestingly enough. Liberty Would NOT insture the MT10 at all.
    Principal would not insure the Bike unless it was in a Garage every night.
    Axa quoted me 1300€ !!

My renewal was slightlly higher with CN but rang up and literally asked for a lower quote. was given the sub 800 almost straight away.

When I got my ZZR1400, Carole Nash wouldn't insure it unless it was data tagged.
    Data tagged?
    I have never heard of an Irish bike requiring data tagging before.
    Is it even legal to demand such a condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Hi,

may I ask you all an advice:
    [BMW R1100S 2001]
    - first year had insurance with Liberty - got to pay lot of money, also my fault 'cause I did not negotiate etc
    - second year managed to get 539.99 with Principal

I receive now a proposal from Principal again, which is higher than last year: 620.32

No claims, no incidents, nothing.
    What would you do in this case? Would you get "kinda nervous" for this (as I did) or it is just normal that it is increasing?

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

queldy wrote: »
    Hi,

[BMW R1100S 2001]
    - first year had insurance with Liberty - got to pay lot of money, also my fault 'cause I did not negotiate etc

I receive now a proposal from Principal again, which is higher than last year: 620.32

What would you do in this case? Would you get "kinda nervous" for this (as I did) or it is just normal that it is increasing?

Thanks all!

Did you pass the full license and have ibt?

blade1 wrote: »
    When I got my ZZR1400, Carole Nash wouldn't insure it unless it was data tagged.
    Data tagged?
    I have never heard of an Irish bike requiring data tagging before.
    Is it even legal to demand such a condition?

Carole Nash do there own data tagging.
    If the value of the bike is big enough as part of there terms and conditions yes they can ask for the bike too be data taged.

Hi,

[BMW R1100S 2001]

Thanks all!

Ring around all the insurance companies,low ball them and play them of one another you get it cheaper
    I didn't this year as mine only increased by €15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

36 yr old male
    Midlands
    2003 Deauville.
    2 yrs no claims
    Full license(1 year)

Renewal from principle was €355,
    Carole Nash was initially more expensive but then came it at €305.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Ring around all the insurance companies,low ball them and play them of one another you get it cheaper
    I didn't this year as mine only increased by €15

Shouldn't they get cheaper if you don't do any claim or whatever?
    Experience raises, no claim, how do they justify the increase?
    "hey there, you our valuable customer - we are gonna try to increase your insurance just because we need more money from you? we hope you are lazy enough and renew, without taking the hassle of calling around all other companies?"

thanks!

listermint wrote: »
    Did you pass the full license and have ibt?

Have full license since 2016 yes!

Have full license since 2016 yes!

Try carol Nash.

Many variables bike age theft classification area it's used or parked.

Shouldn't they get cheaper if you don't do any claim or whatever?
    Experience raises, no claim, how do they justify the increase?
    "hey there, you our valuable customer - we are gonna try to increase your insurance just because we need more money from you? we hope you are lazy enough and renew, without taking the hassle of calling around all other companies?"

thanks!

That's the jest of it,there there to make money at the end of the day, easiest is to put an increase on people's renewals

listermint wrote: »
    Try carol Nash.

Many variables bike age theft classification area it's used or parked.

All the variables did NOT change since last year! Only my age (which is a parameter they use to judge how wise you are, so accordingly I should be 1 year wiser than last year!).
    And did not produce any claim. That's why I was wondering...

All the variables did NOT change since last year! Only my age (which is a parameter they use to judge how wise you are, so accordingly I should be 1 year wiser than last year!).
    And did not produce any claim. That's why I was wondering...

Your bike is older

More bikes of your type could have been nicked.

Bikes could have been nicked in your area.

Can't really tell.

But call Nash.

• Advertisement

Carole Nash do there own data tagging.
    If the value of the bike is big enough as part of there terms and conditions yes they can ask for the bike too be data taged.

What do you mean they do their own data tagging?
    Datatag is a company that you register with.

blade1 wrote: »
    What do you mean they do their own data tagging?
    Datatag is a company that you register with.

Carol nash dna+ , just another type of data tagging

Carol nash dna+ , just another type of data tagging

No, not that.
    I know about that and had it since they brought it out.
    I had to change to Adelaide at the time over it but tried them 2 years later it wasn't a requirement at all.
    The ZZR must have been on their high risk list at the time or some.
    They send the DNA automatically when you take out a policy them.
    The data tagging involves getting various parts of your bike stencilled with your reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

I was idly watching a YouTube review on the cost of running the new RE 650 when I was shocked by the insurance quote: £82 fully comp! Less than the road tax!

A timely reminder of how we are being gouged, given yesterday's story of 'The great motor insurance rip-off. Profits jump 1,300pc for insurance firms'. See Indo*

We really are being screwed here. There used to be much more jumping up and down about this issue, but not so much now. I wonder what's happened?

*New, so not allowed post urls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hazzible

I got an insurance quote back in September for €1100 for comprehensive cover from Liberty Insurance for my 50cc motorbike (in reality it's a 125cc as it was engine swapped but nobody knows 🤫. Still pretty mad how much it costs considering the bike itself is worth less than €1000. Granted, I was 16 at the time and only had a learner permit...

It scares me just thinking about how much they'll quote me for a 500cc bike once I'm 18 as a learner... 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hazzible wrote: »
    I got an insurance quote back in September for €1100 for comprehensive cover from Liberty Insurance for my 50cc motorbike (in reality it's a 125cc as it was engine swapped but nobody knows 🀫. Still pretty mad how much it costs considering the bike itself is worth less than €1000. Granted, I was 16 at the time and only had a learner permit...

It scares me just thinking about how much they'll quote me for a 500cc bike once I'm 18 as a learner... 😢

You're lucky mine was £2,500 pounds....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You're lucky mine was £2,500 pounds....
    How many people did you kill?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

Taylor365 wrote: »
    How many people did you kill?
    It's a known fact in the insurance community, those between the age of 16 and 25 use their motorcycles solely for stealing handbags and drive by murders "like in them video games they're always playing"

Anyway my insurance ended up being €1400 TPO with liberty for the year,paid by month.

17, provisional on an enticer 125.

I got quoted for 1600 on a CBF, but I think it was cheaper since the enticer only has 4 gears.
    Mind you AXA still wanted €2300 for TPO, the guy on the phone was laughing with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

At the bike show I was quoted 1,330
    I bought the bike.
    The same company quoted me 3,400 today, then 2,600.

Another company quote 1,100 on their website.
    Spoke to them and waiting for a call back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just got the renewal email today from Principal, still need to call around.

Licence: Full
    NCB: 3 years
    Bike: Yamaha Dragstar 650

Principal: €459.64 fully comp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement