Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

rymus wrote:
    Just got a quote from Aon and after comparing it with CN I'm awe struck. Almost literally fell off my chair.

I'm 25
    living in Cork
    full NCB
    full A license for last 4 years approx.

Bike is a 2000 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

€543 tpo.

I need a stiff drink to recover from that shock. It was only about 2 months ago that CN quoted me in excess of €1200
    thats really wierd when you look at the difference between cn & aon that they quoted me

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

a_ominous wrote:
    Looks like it's renewal time for a few of us.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see my insurance drop by 450 yoyos, nothing changed apart from being older. Mind you I pay about 450 for my car insurance, FC :confused:

Details
    FJR 1300
    4 yrs NCB
    Full A (3 years)

FC 1040 euro, didn't get quote for TPO, TPFT

I phoned CN earlier this week because of another thread here this week. I had said to Steffano that being a member of MAG or other MC club resulted in discount. He didn't get a discount but I did :p - another 120 off

Quote is now 920 euro FC in Dublin on a FJR 1300. Back to starting price on the 125 I had 4 years ago on a bike with 12 times the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do CN still ask if the bike is inside at night??

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Age - 34
    Licence - Full B
    NCB - None.
    Bike - 49cc Gilera Ice
    Area - Dublin County use in Dublin City

TPO 255
    FC >500
    from Aon

TPO was >450 from CN (and they asked where the bike was kept)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Darando

50cc Italjet
    Full A1 Licence (8 years)
    5 Years NCB
    27 Male
    Dublin

TPO - AON - €183

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

600cc Suzuki Bandit N (2002)
    Provisional A Licence (2 days old)
    No NCB
    25 Male
    Dublin

TPO - Carole Nash - €1780

tk123 wrote:
    Do CN still ask if the bike is inside at night??
    Indeed they do

a_ominous wrote:
    I phoned CN earlier this week because of another thread here this week. I had said to Steffano that being a member of MAG or other MC club resulted in discount. He didn't get a discount but I did :p
    Just realised you're makin fun of me there! Not nice... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Ah now, it wasn't meant to offend. I take it that they didn't change the quote and MAG didn't help either. The inconsistency in quotes is incroyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I called CN today - their quote was almost €200 more than the one I got from Aon - when I said it to the guy he offered to take €50 off..I'm going with the Aon one but thought i'd post for a heads up for everybody "indeed - i have gotten a cheaper quote of Aon" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rachymc

Nsr 75 (2002)
    Provisional A1
    3NCB
    19 Female
    Limerick

TPO - Aon - €1283
    TPO - Aon for cbr250 - €2612 - would be €2270 with 4NCB
    and if i wait till im 21 it'll be €1570...and for a nsr125 its €3370, what a joke, thats nearly twice the price of the bloody bike :eek:

600cc Suzuki Bandit N (2002)
    Provisional A Licence (2 days old)
    No NCB
    25 Male
    Dublin

TPO - Carole Nash - €1780
    Got it wrong, it was actually €1740.68 EUR :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Billabong

Just for fun I got a quote of CN today, just to make myself at the ridiculous situation motorbiking is in in this country.

Male 23
    1 year NCB on BROS 400
    Full licence

Suzuki SV 650 or bandit 600

TPO 2234

Seems high but when you consider I was paying 2700 for the underpowered BROS, I was pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately its too little too late as i'm emigrating to the land of the motorbike (Japan) in october, it seems you have to jump alot of hoops to get a licence for big bikes over there but apparently my licence transfers.

It seems my total insurance costs for an SV650 over there is going to be roughly 800 euros. Pretty good considering thats for two years of insurance. on the down side their NCT is an absolute bit*h.

I still maintain that Ireland is the least conducive country in the world for motorbiking (except china for its red tape)......rant rant rant......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Male 27
    2 yr NCB
    Provisional
    CBR 250R

CN 1065, Aon was about 15 Euro dearer.

A guy from CN rang me last week asking had i gotten my renewal form, i told him Aon had beaten their quote by €50 asked could CN match this, he reduced my quote to €1017.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Male 30+
    Full A (4years) & B (11 years)
    CB500S

CN ................... AON
    553 FC ................. 543 FC
    471 TPFT .............................n/a
    348 TPO .......................309

What do people think? They (CN) quoted me 665 in April when renewal came up but I left it, these quotes are from yesterday, 110 off in 3 months??? Car is mainly used method of transport and bike is garaged at night.

NB The CB is a group 9 bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Billabong wrote:
    I still maintain that Ireland is the least conducive country in the world for motorbiking (except china for its red tape)......rant rant rant......
    We're certainly the worst in Europe. Our government officials and media are completely anti-motorcycle with very few exceptions.

The real question is what are we prepared to do about it?

In 99% of cases, nothing, except b*tch on internet forums... that's not having a go at you by the way, but the apathy and blindness to the bigger picture of the average Irish biker is deeply depressing.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

ninja900 wrote:
    We're certainly the worst in Europe. Our government officials and media are completely anti-motorcycle with very few exceptions.

The real question is what are we prepared to do about it?

Point taken, what can we do but try and get a more competent government in power who may actually listen to us, the minority biking community. And i'm not talking enda kenny, the green party get my vote year in year out for their commitment to govern with common sense and a social/environmental responsibility.

Its not rocket science, hell if their too incompetent to think it up themselves no ones going to think any less of them if they just go and copy from a country with a system that works.
    No provisional riding and extensive initial training is the only way forward and whilst being expensive up front its always cheaper in the long run as shown by other european countries such as Germany.

It's no good fighting the insurance companies, if the government creates a safe motorcycling ethos and a fair and free insurance market they'll fight themselves.

I say give Gaybo more power to wield his motorcycle friendly policies:D

My point is that other small groups aren't f**ked about because they have strong and effective organisations/lobby groups.
    MAG does what it can but the number of riders who can be bothered to support it is small, therefore the resources available to it are small.

Costly initial rider training (a la Germany) for RIDERS ONLY will be the end of motorcycling in this country. Getting on the road is way too expensive for young riders as it is, mostly due to insurance, so hitting them with another couple of thousand for mandatory training is going to make it completely unaffordable for most of them. Much easier to get a nice "safe" car, which is probably the real reason the government favours CBT for bikes only.

You might think that training would reduce insurance claims, but if that happens (and the insurance companies don't just increase their profits due to lack of real competition) it will take several years to happen and in the meantime a whole generation of potential riders has been priced off the road.

We have a problem with ALL classes of road user in this country, the problem is that as riders we're more vulnerable than most to other people's mistakes. If mandatory training was introduced for car drivers as well as bikes it would make a real difference. Fair enough, if we can ride more defensively and make fewer mistakes it will help us, the training is already out there but few enough people are bothered to take it up. But insurance data shows 75+% of car/bike accidents are not the rider's fault, the real road safety problem in this country rests with car drivers and unless something is done about it, forcing us to be the best/most trained road users of all isn't going to help much.

There's no chance of anything being done about car driver training/provisional licences before the election, and given the huge number of votes at stake and the massive unpopularity of even the tiniest attempt to get motorists in general to be sensible and obey the laws, I wouldn't bet a large sum of money on anything much happening after the election either.

By then the Road Safety Authority should be properly established, but they cannot make the law and cannot enforce the law, without government commitment behind them they will be almost powerless. I hope that it doesn't turn out that way, but given the political realities and the gombeenism of the average backbench TD, I can't say I'm that optimistic at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Well,

Got the policy sorted there.

Suzuki SV650N Factory Restricted
    Royal Enfield Bullet 65-500
    28 year old Male.
    RoSPA Silver, Full Licence 2 years, 3 years NCB.
    Dublin Address

€610 TPO €1120FC with Aon.

Double both figures (almost) to get the CN figures.

L.

Ninja900, I take your point on the delay between CBT and insurance drop although I still believe the CBT is a necessity (for riders safety more so than just insurance), how it is implemented is going to be the tricky part. They'll just have to get the insurance down first. Also on your point of price of car vs. bike, there's alot more benefit to motorbikes in my view that motivates rather than just cheap cost. I started in the motorbike world in the strange position of knowing full well that I would be cheaper to just get a car. If you like bike, you like bikes and thats that.

It seems to me that the biggest problem with the Irish insurance system is the "if your insured, your insured, whether or not your breaking the law". The biggest and most infuriating example being that of the pillion passenger claims. ( also drunk drivers are insured, provos with no full licence driver etc.)

If I drive a car without insurance and run someone over, I am personally liable (i.e. I get screwed left right and centre back to the poor house). most of us accept this and hence would never even consider driving witout being insured.

Now take the case where, just because I am insured to ride a bike solo, that means that I am covered if I have a pillion. How does this make sense. If pillions weren't insured and every pillion passenger was claiming off their mate rather than the "system", I think they might think twice about giving lifts and god forbid bogus claiming. If they are still dumb enough to take a pillion then they should suffer the same fate as that of an uninsured car driver.

I don't like to jump on the "blame the pillion passenger boat" but in the absense any other evidence of where the 3rd party claims are coming from I cant resist. If our bikes and ourselves aren't insured, who and what are we hitting at such regular intervals so as to cause these ridiculous rates. Or are individual claims just that big.

On the MAG ireland point, they have my support and I agree that more of us need to show our support. I also feel that it is both in the favour and responsibility of the bike shops and manufacturers to get behind MAG. Any progress made by MAG should increase the profits of both.

If anyone can propose valid reasons or even better, figures to explain the high cost insurance, I'd be very interested to see them as I'm yet to see a proper discussion on the exact causes. It all boils down to numbers after all (should these numbers not be transparent to us the customer)

I am open to any corrections or criticisms on the above as my views are based on my perception of the information available to me, which is limited at best.

• Advertisement

There's no doubt that CBT would bring safety benefits eventually, problem is that it will take years before a significant proportion of the riders on the road will have done it and only then will it start to have a measurable positive effect.

Incidentally, CBT in the UK has had less of an effect than hoped, which is why the proposals for this country are more sophisticated, problem is that that means it's going to be a lot more costly and the government is refusing to contribute in any way. Riders pay a lot of taxes, it would be nice if even a tiny proportion of this was invested in rider safety.

A huge proportion of rider injuries and deaths are caused by clueless car drivers and nothing at all is being done about this. We need quality training for all road users.

Pillion insurance is something we're stuck with due to the EU insurance directive, third parties must be covered even if the driver or rider was breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 e2rd

Licence: Full
    NCB: none
    Bike: 1990 Honda Steed 400

AON offered €543 TPO and €1,009 FC

CN: €1,206 TPFT and €1,525 FC, however they offered me classic option if I join M.A.G. Ireland (€30 for joining). Classic prices as follows: €349 TPFT and €485 FC. So good to have a classic bike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ibanezjem

at the time i was...(2003)

Age 25
    Licence: Full A & B
    Bike: Suzuki GSXR-750SRAD
    Hibernian: €2400

Sold bike traded in licence to AA for international licence. Moved to Oz for years and bought a 2001 Suzuki TL1000R V-Twin in Sydney.
    Insurance: €300 Fully Comp.

Now, i drive a car. Roads here are sh|t and too dangerous to drive whether it be in good or bad weather. General motorists coouldnt give a toss about bikers and that really p|sses me off. Plenty of theives around who if cant your bike, tend to knock it over or scratch the f•uck out of the tank in spite. And on top of that insurance is another form of legal theft with no regulations of charge and the rate/calculation of insurance just doenst add up from one company to the next.

Would love to scrap the car though and get myself my dream bike..the first of '94 Ducati 916's Desmoquattro. Stunning bike and hasnt been outdated in my opinion. Always a fan of the fireblades too.
    Boo hoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 macdragon76

Angry_Man wrote:
    Not suprised, I've never heard of anyone getting a cheaper quote from CN than they did from AON...

Nope, Just turned 30
    Fazer 6
    Full Licence 1 yr 10 months
    Fully Comp Quotes below

So Aon Quoted me 1, 450
    down from 1875

CN quoted me 1150
    Down form 1700

So Aon have all the extras as well!

Its a no brainer!

I could go for TPFT for 700, but its my baby!

so fully comp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mcdonna

25 Male
    6 month Full A
    1 year NCB
    98 Fazer 400cc

Carole Nash renewal TPO €1205.05

Last year (24, no NCB, provisional, same bike) ~ €2400

Haven't tried Aon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Feargal

im 29
    have 2 years no claims on the bike
    prov. licience
    00 Cagiva Mito 125

full no claims bonus for the car (cn take this into account)

aon bikecare 1165.00 (put the cagive in the group 8!! same as a 400cc)

cn 500.29 (think ill go with cn!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Just for sh1ts and giggles, here is my quote in the UK for the bike I would like after I complete the direct access course and pass my test. For the purpose of the quote I said I had had my full license for 5 days.

NCB: 0
    Bike: 2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Quote from BMW insurance £835.

Feargal wrote:
    full no claims bonus for the car (cn take this into account)
    First time I've ever heard of that happening.

Is your car insured with CN?

If you have a tip in the car, will your bike insurance go up as well? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pxnubi

first bike

bike :125 (vespa)
    tpo :1600

carole nash...aon wanted 2200!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Feargal

ninja900 wrote:
    First time I've ever heard of that happening.

Is your car insured with CN?

If you have a tip in the car, will your bike insurance go up as well? :eek:

My car isn`t insured with cn, they just asked if i had a car, and what no claims i had on the car. It says on a document i got "a discount has been allowed for no claims bonus, and that i should contact them", but ill have to find out if they are looking for the motorbike or car no claims.

Dont know what will happen if i have a tip in the car, it may or may not effect it... hopefully i never find out! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement