Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars in bus lanes

Options
  • 17-08-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭

I really ticks me off to see the numbers of cars and lorrys driving on the Swords road and Malahide road bus lanes so lately I've adopted a policy of deliberately cycling slowly down the middle of the bus lane if I can get past a car doing that. Do you think it'll ever encourage them to move off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

It's more likely to persuade them to drive over you I would guess.

Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

How very topical this thread. I'm just after posting a letter to Owen Keegan (Dir of Traffic, Dublin City Council) suggesting a change to junctions with bus lanes.

Right now the bus lanes start and end a short distance from the junction. Drivers often drive into the now bus lane-less lane in order go get a few cars ahead as they speed off from the lights, before merging back into the regular lane.

My suggestion is that these bus lane-less bits be made 'left turn only' to prevent these mini rat-runs. Buses would of course be allowed to go straight on.
    This 'left turn only' setup exists at at least one junction on the quays (Usher's Island or Usher's Quay).

I also suggested making all bus lanes 24 hours so that there is no ambiguity about whether one can use them. We all know that some are 24 hours already, some are active in the mornings only, others evenings only and others both commute periods.

Today I also wrote to the Minister for Transport asking that he get all the penalty point offences 'online'.

markpb - report the offenders to the Gardai. It's a bit of an inconvenience (though Whitehall Station is on Swords Rd at Griffith Ave). I carry a small notepad and pen on the straps of my backpack so it is very easy to get at.
    Now when I next write to the Garda commissioner I can mention all my reports and moan about him not doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

I took your advice and rang the Traffic Division on 6669800 this morning after I saw a van sit in the bus lane most of the way down the Malahide road, leaving only temporarily to pass out a few buses and then push back in before the junction at the end of the road.

What ever happened to Dublin Bus's plan to fit the buses with security cameras on the outside of the buses to catch the reg plates of drivers doing behaving like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - I've always wondered why they haven't done that - it seems like an obvious way to land a lot of fines on a lot of stupid people. Even if only 1/20 busses has a camera, they'd catch plenty of people and it'd be a good deterrent...

Advertisement