Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Italy (will include score)

• 17-08-2005 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Team:

Given
    Finnan-Dunne-Cunningham-O'Shea
    --S.Reid-Holland-Kilbane-Duff---
    A.Reid

Morrison

Not sure about the lineup but that's the official team. Interesting to see us try out a new formation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It would be interesting to see Reid play the role behind the striker, if that's where he plays. Although he might start on the left and we could see Duff up front with Morrisson, I hope not though. I would rather they left out Holland, put Steven Reid in the middle maybe and have a 4-4-2 with Elliott up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Ireland are 1-0 down according to rte teletext. Pirlo scored :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Keep us updated mate yeah,my pipe iis gone on our telly :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

being owned 2-0 30 mins gone

2-1 andy reid

• Advertisement

im just going by aertel and newstalk. Italy just hit the cross bar a few minutes ago. Ireland are really under the pressure and its not looking pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I dont care what anyone says, but he WAS interfering with play. It dont matter that he was coming back from an offside position, he was in the line of the ball, and if a defender has an eye on him, means he IS INTERFERING.

Stupid rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

good goal andy reid. vieri's volley would have been one of the best goals ever seen in landsdowne rd. me thinks. duffer is looking the business too

Josh in playing in Midfeild and is having a stomer (on for holland who was taken out of it):eek: !!

Holland was taken out of it by .. i forget.. and according to the radio Josh put in two crunching tackles on Viera. :eek:

Hearte is on in left back and hasnt done anything wrong and it seems to be working well (so far). Ireland is starting to make a fight back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ireland fighting back or italy tired?

Shay Given deserves a decent defence for once in his career , poor guy destined to make at least 5 world class saves a game. Holland was elbowed by Gattuso both jumped for a ball and gattuso led with the elbow.

Ireland came into it after the goal but Italy know they can rip us apart anytime they want.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Italy's attack is very good yes Kdjac but their defence is terrible. If we had robbie on it would be 2-2 now. Italy are very good but arent unstoppable. Rip us apart ???

jubbly wrote:
    Rip us apart ???

Yes their 8 shots 5 on target ,givens 3 superb saves all inside 29 minutes = ripping us apart.

kdjac

the italians always look great when they are ahead and not put under pressure but when andy reid got one back it was a different story. I wouldnt be so quick to write your own team off.

You can have all the chances you want but if you dont convert them its meaningless.

Back to normal now italy in control Ireland playing for scraps. We can barley manage a pass over the hafl way line without resorting to the fullbacks hammering it.

kdjac

aww elliot could of drawn it for us :(

I think were fresh out of ideas. First defeat under kerr. great preperation for France eh

Dsiappointing to be beaten but not that disheartening really. The only worry was some kamekazi defending in the first 20-25 minutes where we were constantly caught by long balls over the defence.
    Some real positives to take though, very well taken goal by Reid. Towards the end of the match we were throwing the kitchen sink at them. Elliott looked very bright when he came on. Morrison had a very good game as the lone striker--up against a quality defence he worked tirelessly, made intellegent runs and had a very good goal disallowed.
    With two very influential players still to come back in Keane & Keane, it wasn't a bad warm up at all for the France game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Personally I think we can take a lot more from that game than we have from most of our previous friendlies.

Plus points were Morrison and Kilbane who were absolutely tireless, both Reids as well did all right, and Given (obviously). We troubled them a fair bit particularly considering we were missing two of our best players. They also seemed to take it seriously enough, demonstrated by the performance they put in. They have some of the best players in the world, so its no shame losing tonight given that we almost snatched a draw at the end.

Elliott again looked handy enough, I wish he got more time to be honest. I like the way Kerr doesnt ring the changes in fours and fives, but sometimes I think in these games he doesnt give enough playing time to hopefuls. This was another one of those. If we are chasing France in September we are going to have to go for it. This was a perfect chance to try doing that against similar opposition.

Not quite sure about the offside trap we were trying, I wouldnt like to see Cisse or Henry spring that.

Miller was woeful when he came on. He shouldnt get another chance until he is getting some regular football. Miles off the pace.

And would Paul Dempsey ever shut the **** up with his "we" and "us", apparently "we" are "soft defensively" does he even watch "our" games?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

First defeat under kerr.
    You dont remember the swiss match do u? :rolleyes:

By the sound of things Reid is still over weight. Mr blobby who cant get around the pitch much.

Holland's future in the centre of the pitch is gone. Josh seems to have nailed that down with Roy.

CLinton really needs first team football as usual.

• Advertisement

jubbly wrote:
    Holland's future in the centre of the pitch is gone. Josh seems to have nailed that down with Roy.
    Eh, ever hear of Kevin Kilbane? And to be honest Id have Graham Kavanagh in there ahead of JOS. O'Shea showed some promise in the position tonight but he still needs to improve greatly.
    jubbly wrote:
    CLinton really needs first team football as usual.
    Again eh? He ran relentlessly tonight. It would be great for him to be playing first team football and scoring but he certainly didnt look like he was out of favour tonight.

Eh, ever hear of Kevin Kilbane? And to be honest Id have Graham Kavanagh in there ahead of JOS. O'Shea showed some promise in the position tonight but he still needs to improve greatly.

Josh is our best footballing talent for that position, he has far better technical ability than Kilbane and he was putting in crunching tackles in the first half. If he could keep that up for a full 90 minutes then it would be magnificant.
    Again eh? He ran relentlessly tonight. It would be great for him to be playing first team football and scoring but he certainly didnt look like he was out of favour tonight.

He needs to work on finishing off goal scoring oppurtunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

morrison could of stuck his foot out on that final attempt on goal, i think it was by stephen elliot

jubbly wrote:

Didn't you see his disallowed goal?? Great finish! He's been fantastic for us in the qualifiers, I don't doubt his ability to put chances away. He didn't have a lot of clear-cut chances tonight either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I don't really rate john o shea sorry......think kilbane is better than him.....

Thought Ireland play well 2nite, but defensive errors cost us. The wrong decision was made before a ball was kicked, having 2 slow joes in the middle of our defense a bad tactical decision by the manager (eventhough it was only a friendly!), play one or the other but don't think of playing them together........

We had some great chances near the end....I thought elliott did well when he came on but 2 strikers should have been on sooner.....Morrisson played well considering he was a lone striker, unlucky with the disallowed goal....

I think we can beat France, hopefully the two keane's are back that would be a major boost..... :)

here, he used his fecking hand to control it . Nice one clint

but good control and turn in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

he didn't use his hand!!!! the defender kicked the ball onto his arm, couldnt have got it out of the way in time....

jubbly wrote:
    Josh is our best footballing talent for that position, he has far better technical ability than Kilbane and he was putting in crunching tackles in the first half. If he could keep that up for a full 90 minutes then it would be magnificant.
    JOS our best footballing talent for that position??? Im not even going to argue.
    jubbly wrote:
    As was pointed out, you must have tuned out for the last couple of minutes. Im not denying it would be better for him to be starting every week, but he certainly didnt show that he wasnt tonight.
    Cremo wrote:
    morrison could of stuck his foot out on that final attempt on goal, i think it was by stephen elliot
    I think he would have been offside had he made contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

And would Paul Dempsey ever shut the **** up with his "we" and "us", apparently "we" are "soft defensively" does he even watch "our" games?
    He actually is Irish. :) I heard an interview of his on Newstalk.

BTW, when you mentioned the best players, I agree with you but it just goes to show what levels Duff has set that he didn't get a mention. :) Just reading a 5 page thread on the match with Italian supporters and this is what they said:

"Entire defense a little scary now. They have been double-teaming Duff every time he gets the ball, and sometimes even have 3 or 4 guys around him."

"Finally, regarding Ireland, Duff is one hell of a player. We could use a winger like that anyday. Further, the crowd was very classy applauding both Pirlo and Cannavaro (who both were excellent on the day)."

I'm usually disappointed with an defeat but I'm happy enough tonight. Apart from the first half hour we were the better team. We played very well on the ball but off it we were caught out. Still, Roy Keane will certainly help the midfield, Matt Holland got about 2 or 3 touches in his time on the pitch. Andy O'Brien has been superb for us and will start too. Robbie Keane also to come back. We deserved the draw tonight and by the letter of the law should have got it as Morrison could not do anything about the ball hitting his arm.

• Advertisement

JOS our best footballing talent for that position??? Im not even going to argue.

Yes he is. In terms of technical abilty with the ball. Fair enough he has crap concentration and crap postional play along with crap distrbution at left back but he is defintely a midfielder.

As was pointed out, you must have tuned out for the last couple of minutes. Im not denying it would be better for him to be starting every week, but he certainly didnt show that he wasnt tonight.

Im one of Clintons biggest fans. Im just saying there was a few shots he could have done better

probably would of been offside true but you misquoted me on your second quote

lol did anyone else notice the commentators on sky sports calling Veiri, Veiria?

got on my nerves a bit

Cremo wrote:
    lol did anyone else notice the commentators on sky sports calling Veiri, Veiria?

got on my nerves a bit
    Kevin Moran? He had me in stitches most of the night. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    He actually is Irish. :) I heard an interview of his on Newstalk.
    I know he is by birth, but he is adopted English at this stage and doesn't have a clue when it comes to our football team.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    BTW, when you mentioned the best players, I agree with you but it just goes to show what levels Duff has set that he didn't get a mention. :)
    Duff did have a great game. The first one for us for a while where he has been really dangerous. Its a measure of his ability that no one notices that. Lets just hope he can do it again against the French. :)
    Cremo wrote:
    probably would of been offside true but you misquoted me on your second quote
    ;)
    jubbly wrote:
    Yes he is. In terms of technical abilty with the ball. Fair enough he has crap concentration and crap postional play along with crap distrbution at left back but he is defintely a midfielder.
    Personally I dont think he is the best technical CM we have, in actual fact his control at times leaves a lot to be desired, and he gives the ball away cheaply.

We could play either Reid there. I also think you are selling Killer short, who hit a sweet Cruyff turn late in the second half to set up a chance, hes a better footballer than a lot of people give him credit.
    jubbly wrote:
    Im one of Clintons biggest fans. Im just saying there was a few shots he could have done better
    Morrison isnt a great finisher, unfortunately no amount of games is going to change that.

I also think you are selling Killer short, who hit a sweet Cruyff turn late in the second half to set up a chance, hes a better footballer than a lot of people give him credit.
    I seen him training a couple of times and he can pull off some flicks and tricks.

• Advertisement

Personally I dont think he is the best technical CM we have, in actual fact his control at times leaves a lot to be desired, and he gives the ball away cheaply.

We could play either Reid there. I also think you are selling Killer short, who hit a sweet Cruyff turn late in the second half to set up a chance, hes a better footballer than a lot of people give him credit.

You rate kilbane over josh in terms of techincal ability. I dont agree.

I dont know about Clint, sometimes he scores some great goals but he does miss a lot of the time. But then again, Robbie hardly puts away a lot of his chances either.

Did Clinton have a for sale sign on his back again?

He looked like he was trying his overpowering sheer love for his country really does show when it comes to transfer time.
    Sooner we get rid of him the better, is it wrong to hope for a minor injury which rules him out of France game and leaves Keane and Elliot available?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Did Clinton have a for sale sign on his back again?

He looked like he was trying his overpowering sheer love for his country really does show when it comes to transfer time.
    Sooner we get rid of him the better, is it wrong to hope for a minor injury which rules him out of France game and leaves Keane and Elliot available?

kdjac

I cant belive you just posted that. Clint has dug us out of some miserable holes , remember Swiss away ? Israel away ? the shambolic china at home match where we nearly humiliated again.

He has come in for us and done a job for us. He isnt a top class striker but then were not a top class team either.

Clint will never be a top striker but he will be a good stiker if he can get regular first team football.

But hes English, hes not irish and only tries to play when its transfer time , if you would like an England G team enjoy him, personally would prefer a **** irish player playing for ireland than a **** english player looking for a transfer.

kdjac

Fair enough he is a bit of a plastic paddy but i would rather have him than connolly (and having to listen to that nob at the press conference) for those WC games.

Stephen Carr and Andy Ried are fat by the way.

• Advertisement

Fair enough he is a bit of a plastic paddy but i would rather have him than connolly (and having to listen to that nob at the press conference) for those WC games.

Man made of lego , Elliot , Keane on his own with Zinidine Kilbane playing behind him. Anything but that donkey Morrison.
    Stephen Carr and Andy Ried are fat by the way.

ehhh.........k

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:

ehhh.........k

kdjac

reid - Mr blobby - who can run about the pitch much and is always pulling funny faces.

Carr - i forget the nick name he picked up at newcastle - can someone remind me - after putting on all that weight and looking stupid a lot of the time when something happens.

Back to the italy game, we played really well with this new system kerr tried plus we missed 2 of our best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Anyone else think Staepelton and Quinn were far too negative about tonights performance ? , I mean Staepelton normally isn't too happy about anything anyway but Quinn usually tries the bright side of something even when there isn't one .

Yes the defence was very shoddy the first 30 mins (might have something to do with Matt Holland being on the pitch) and those long balls were really catching us out a lot .

But O'Brien and Cunningham isthe usual partnership and once they were playing together things were reasonably steady .

Carr played well , Harte was ok and O'Shea was good while at left back (might have something to do with the absence of Camoranesi) he was ok while in midfield .

A.Reid was very good , Duff was superb , Kilbane was very good , Holland was crap and S.Reid was good enough although didn't show enoguh creationally .

Miller was crap . Morrison did well as a lone striker and Elliot was sharp when he came on .

Il post a more in depth post on the match tomorrow .

Big Ears wrote:
    Anyone else think Staepelton and Quinn were far too negative about tonights performance ? , I mean Staepelton normally isn't too happy about anything anyway but Quinn usually tries the bright side of something even when there isn't one .
    Yeah the whole SS panel was extremely negative. And to be fair it was hardly a bad performance against a pretty much full strength Italian side that played well, and played to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Big Ears wrote:
    Kilbane was very good

If you call giving away the ball at will but running around alot giving away frees good. "Quality" like that will get you nowhere in international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i deliberately stayed away from boards when i got home last night after the game, simply because i was goin mad! Kerr plays 1 up front in a HOME GAME in a friendly??! whatever about the performances not worthy of a macclesfield 1st team place from the likes of miller, kerrs tactics were all over the place last night. i think this is the start of a downturn in the irish team, with no young players good enough to fill the gaps when the likes of the 2 keanes are injured. god help us against france next month..

In fairness kerr was trying something new. 4-3-3. We only have one trick in our bag 4-4-2 and full credit to kerr for playing a new formation against such good oppostion. It is something that will pay off in the long run.

As for sky sports, they are a bunch of idiots. Ireland played very well considering there was confusement as to who went where. The only major gripe I would have is that we kept giving the ball away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

jubbly wrote:
    reid - Mr blobby - who can run about the pitch much and is always pulling funny faces.

Wats ur problem with Reid? I was actually saying last night to a few mates watching the game he looks in great shape this season and anyone who called him over weight before would have to change there mind.....where u hear this Mr Blooby? The Sun

He was in great shape and played a good game...some of his passes where great and was always looking for the ball.....also had a MoM display for Spurs last weekend so is starting to show what he is capabile of and the benefits of playign in PL....was one of the best Irish players last night and you go around calling him Mr. Blobby????????????? where u watching the same game

In regards to the game last night I was pleased with the display after the first 25mins....part of the problem in the first 25mins was Dunne not being anywhere near fitness after missing pre-season....it was after abotu 15min of the game and his whole jersey was covered in swet(sp) because he was so unfit.....Pearce only let him go on the trip to this game because he knew he would get 45mins of the game!! needs more match practise....see what happened when Dunne was replaced....Italy got f**k all chance.....dont think they had a clear cut chance in second half? I rate Dunne but just was lacking match practise and to come up against the Italy forwards was just 2 much for him with no fitness!!!

I think Kerr should have brought on Eliott on earlier!! once he was on was very lively and made a good few chances! cant wait for him to score because he will have a better chance then of getting into starting 11!!! good display by Morrison who held the frontline well and was running around like a mad thing.....see Dowie was there last night so I would say he is one of the managers looking at him...

Harte played well when he came on but the first 2 free kicks he took where brutal.....JOS had a decent game......S Reid was absent for alot of the game....actually thought at one stage he had gone off at half time but then he popped up again! ....part from that it was some game and it is prob the kick up da ar*e the Ireland team needed after all those good friendly results.....needed to get it into there heads that they cant just turn up and win/draw but at least we where not hammered like the English :D

On the Sky Sports team....Moran is gas and had me laughing thru the whole game but then to listen to Quinn and that w*nk*r Stapleton!!! honest to God how can that man say he ever played for Ireland and then after every game no matter what the result is moan and complain about everythign the team does!! get him out of there soon! I couldnt listen to him and switched stations when he started moaning again!! it seems it is rubbing off on Quinn as well!!

Andy Ried is far from top shape. He isnt very mobile and he doesnt run around the pitch a lot. Hence the name Mr Blobby. He needs to stop eating all the pies and lose another few kilos. Dont get me wrong though he did well though, some great crosses and good goal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

what game were you watching Jubbly? Seriously man, some of your posts in this thread are unbelievable!

Reid looks to have lost about a half stone since last year, his natural build is quite stocky so he's never going to look particularly skinny.

His fitness was fine last night and he was very mobile, watch the highlights again, he worked the area behind Morrison well.

I thought O Shea did well in the centre, better than Holland would have imo, Dunne looked wrecked after 5 minutes and was completely off the pace.

Miller, what is the story with this guy, he didnt look like a footballer out there. Nice tan though, maybe if he stayed in England and worked harder over the summer instead of prancing about in Spain he might be closer to match sharpness.

Elliot was particularly impressive when he came on, should have been given the full half at least. Morrison was shìt for 75 minutes and came alive when he had Elliot beside him dragging a defender away.

Duff is special. Played amazingly well last night.

Really, i think that was a great friendly, well judged and organised by Kerr and sets us up nicely for the French. I wonder if they will dig up Platini and give him a game?

• Advertisement
Advertisement