Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAB *spoiler alert* do not read if you haven't finished the Half Blood Prince

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

yep. yep he is. But the theory goes that he got the locket before he died - or that he never really died...

He was a Death Eater, he tried to back out from the Death Eaters, and he was killed... that's what Sirius says.

Of course, he could have found out about the horcruxes and tried to get rid of them to weaken Voldie and then he was killed...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

I want to believe it's Regulus...but I just can't. It seems too obvious, I mean it's not written anywhere that RAB is someone who's already been mentioned, it could be a completely new character.

Also, can someone clear up the whole Alphhard part for me, I know that Sirius has an "Uncle Alphard", but Regulus is his brother....
    ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

it does seem a bit obvious really but there aren't any other possibiltites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

i think it is one of the boggins that owned the shop in daigaon alley but i could be wrong. cant remember their first names but voldemort stole stuff on them so maybe as revenge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Borgin and Burke? Yeah, that is one of the most popular theories, apart from the obvious Regulus Black - and to me, it certainly seems more plausible. Regulus was never in the inner circle, and couldn't be expected to know about Horcruxes. Borgin or Burke, however, definitely would, and also could have been at Voldemort's right hand.

• Advertisement

im going with amy benson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JameyHenson

Sorry to revive an older topic, but I just thought I'd share my reasoning for being all but postive that Regalus Black is RAB.

If you look at the Dutch translation of the book, the initials are not RAB, but RAZ... furthermore, Black is translated as Zwarts. Also in Norwegian, the initials are RAS, Black being translated as Svaart.

In my opinion, the fact that these initial's still match-up through the translations is pretty concrete proof that RAB(Z or S) is Regalus Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Nice detective work, thats some solid evidence. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

That's certainly intersting. It's been a while since I read book five, but I think Sirius says that Regulus wasn't a particularly powerful wizard. Therefore, it would be unlikely that he would have had the power to reach the horcrux, even if he had wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

odhran wrote:
    That's certainly intersting. It's been a while since I read book five, but I think Sirius says that Regulus wasn't a particularly powerful wizard. Therefore, it would be unlikely that he would have had the power to reach the horcrux, even if he had wanted to.

Perhaps he had help....

Just like DD had Harry to help him.

• Advertisement

Sorry to revive an older topic, but I just thought I'd share my reasoning for being all but postive that Regalus Black is RAB.

If you look at the Dutch translation of the book, the initials are not RAB, but RAZ... furthermore, Black is translated as Zwarts. Also in Norwegian, the initials are RAS, Black being translated as Svaart.

In my opinion, the fact that these initial's still match-up through the translations is pretty concrete proof that RAB(Z or S) is Regalus Black
    Interesting... Very interesting... Are there any other characters that have surnames beginning with Z or S in those editions, though?
    It looks like the Amy theory is shot down. Unless they're jumping the gun, or her name in Dutch turns out to be Zooperheimer or something...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Burkes first names (of Borgin & Burke) is Caractacus, so that rules him out. Also, JK said she's not going to introduce any important new characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Faith wrote:
    Burkes first names (of Borgin & Burke) is Caractacus, so that rules him out. Also, JK said she's not going to introduce any important new characters.

No important new characters...it pretty much has to be regulus then, doesn't it?

Yeah, I thought it was too obvious, but it must be. The way RAB is translated in different languages corresponding with what Black is translated to is too much evidence to ignore. And JK also says "Careful rereaders of the books will have discovered at least one of the horcruxes before the week is out", so the locket must be it.

I think I have to include that RAB is indeed Regulus. But I still think that he couldn't have done it alone...

The note was written in the first person though. "By the time you read this, I will probably be dead". Otherwise, it's possible RAB could be "R-someone And Black". That's unlikely though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Faith wrote:
    The note was written in the first person though. "By the time you read this, I will probably be dead". Otherwise, it's possible RAB could be "R-someone And Black". That's unlikely though.
    He must have had someone with him, but he only mentioned himself in the note because he knew he was going to die anyway - if he mentioned somebody else Voldemort would probably hunt them down and kill them

I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed. I love all the speculation about new Harry Potter books, but now the RAB thing is so cast-iron that all the mystery is gone :(

You know how J.K. Rowling is. I always think I've got it figured out and then she goes and surprises the crap out of me! While RAB does seem cast iron, I can see her doing something else there. I just can't see her making it so obvious... Unless it turns out to be u****ortant in the long term. Perhaps it's just there to lead Harry to the locket in the cupboard in the Black house in Grimauld Place (if that's going to be a horcrux. I'd say it has to be, because Harry needs to find 4 in one book and it took Dumbledore years to find 2/3. She'd have to make one easy enough to find, in that Harry already knows of it's existence and location.)

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I just remembered about this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I've been reading through the series again, and while browsing this section, something occured to me. I could be way off as I've only read book 5 and 6 once, but in book 5 we find out that Sirius' house is unplottable, also that Dumbledore is the secret keeper for the houses location.
    Mad Eye Moody handed harry a piece of paper on which Dumbledoor had written the house address, so Harry could enter the house.

Now with Dumbledore dead, and that piece of paper gone... how the hell is anyone else supposed to get into Harry's gaff? I'm sure the secret must die with the secret keeper, otherwise it'd be pointless... IE you just kill the secret keeper to get the info you want.
    So does this make sense to anyone? Or am I just confused?

• Advertisement

Not sure, as it is AGES since I read the books, but I think that once you know the secret, you can go there always. That would require further thinking though, and some re-reading.

No, my point is... how is someone else that was never told the whereabouts of the house going to get in? Say Harry gets the DA together and they wanna hide out somewhere... (not gonna happen but for an example). How are they meant to get in?

Perhaps Dumbledore made provision for that? After all, he knew he was going to die, so I'd assume he would have passed the secret on. Either that or they can't go in, and they'll need to find somewhere else. Or perhaps the piece of paper that Moody showed Harry would suffice? Perhaps Dumbledore ended the spell. Just tossing out ideas, no idea if any are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Harry is the Horcrux. Pretty obvious.

supersheep wrote:
    Perhaps Dumbledore made provision for that? After all, he knew he was going to die, so I'd assume he would have passed the secret on. Either that or they can't go in, and they'll need to find somewhere else. Or perhaps the piece of paper that Moody showed Harry would suffice? Perhaps Dumbledore ended the spell. Just tossing out ideas, no idea if any are right.

Moody torched that paper though. I dunno, maybe the house won't come up.

shroomfox wrote:
    Harry is the Horcrux. Pretty obvious.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!

(Everyone's argued that, I think. I don't think so, because Voldemort tried to kill Harry, meaning it's unlikely he would make him a Horcrux just before he did so. Also, the only reason his attempt to kill Harry failed was because Lily saved him - not what Voldy planned. Unless one can make Horcruxes accidentally - I don't think so - then Harry probably isn't one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think I have to include that RAB is indeed Regulus

I concur

Well, to quote from Wikipedia:
    The Dutch, Norwegian, and Finnish translations of the book have been published. In the Dutch translation, the surname Black is translated as Zwarts and, as previously noted, the abbreviation in the note to Voldemort is R.A.Z. rather than R.A.B.. Likewise, in the Norwegian text, the name Black is translated as Svaart and the note is signed R.A.S.. The Finnish text uses the name Musta, with the note signed R.A.M.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.A.B.

Faith wrote:
    Well, to quote from Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.A.B.
    Yup, not surprised. He's always been the most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

this is sh*t! I am 1 week away from exams and I get Harry Potter-itis, now I need to read the books again, dammit!

I will be extremly dissapointed if R.A.B. turns out to be Regulus, I would love it if it was something that no-one saw coming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement