Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a second laptop. Can I get online with the one modem? (Both are Centrino)

• 17-08-2005 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

I hope someone can help me with this.

I'm with IBB. I do not have a wireless modem.

My laptop is a Centrino. I just got another Centrino laptop.

Do I need to go buy a wireless modem or can I get online with both laptops (at the same time) using the Centrino aspect or in some other way?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

If you are hooked into your external modem by a usb lead then you can use a network cable to share resources between the two laptops. what modem have you? with iol the handiest way is to plug one in using the lan cable and the other in using the usb cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

My modem is via ethernet. It is an IBB modem. It just has "Breeze net" written on it.

Any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

okay so your laptop is hooked up with a lan cable to your modem, now you need to connect both laptops together and one laptop to the modem or both laptops to the modem, check and see if there is a usb port in the back of the modem (if there is you will be able to use a usb lead from a printer or something to hook into the modem with the second machine)

If not you will need a thing called a hub where you connect everything up to the hub and can then share the modem,

This is a cheap wired solution, remember youll also need lan cable:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=303997&cks=PRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

uhh, afaik the breeze box is a bridge on to IBB's network, so just plugging a hub into it will not work since it won't do NAT etc. You'd need somesort of (wireless if both laptops are centrino if you wish) router and plug that into the breeze box
    then plug the laptops in to the router.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You need a router, either wireless or wired only, depending on your preference.

Make sure it has a WAN port and NOT a DSL modem.

Any of the routers from the following page should work:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/Category.asp?catid=2&l=1&cnL1=NTL/Telewest&PcatIDL1=2

• Advertisement
Advertisement