Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uni in scotland / wales

Options
  • 17-08-2005 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

hi folks, wit my results being disappointing :mad: ive been looking at ucas and the clearing process. what universities are good? is there "con" colleges?? ive looked at bangor in wales, aberdeen, paisley and stirling in scotland. anyone heard of these? are they any good!? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I would hate to say for certain since I really know nothing at all having never considered it but.....you ever read Bridgets Jones diary? Is it not Bangor she went to? (yes I know it's a story, i'm not thick) but dont they laugh at degree from bangor? I can't say I know any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rose**

they laugh at a degree from bangor!!??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

hi rose,

Remember there is the cao vacant places too:)

Waht do u want to study?

rose** wrote:
    they laugh at a degree from bangor!!??

I think it is bangor, but i'm not sure, I only read it once, it is a very big book. is it not her boyfriend Daniel who laugh at her saying there's nothing wrong wit degree from bngor? it is in first book anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

chickens is right, in the first Bridget Jones book Daniel (that's the one Hugh Grant played) laughed at her for having a degree from Bangor. However, one of my friends applied to Bangor to do Law, she said after checking it out it seemed to be a pretty good college. She hasn't decided yet what she's doing, she's gonna wait until Monday and see if she got Law here. I'd recommend making an appintment with your guidance counsellor to talk about anything like this, they're most likely to be familiar with how good the colleges are

• Advertisement

That sounds like a very good idea! Maybe even one of those helplines in the irishtimes would know. It would be awful to base your future on the bridget jones book!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

hey, look up napier uni in edinburgh..

i did my degree there, Multimedia Tech.

its allot like DIT as in it is not just 1 campus, but spread about the city. the entry req aint that hard either.. and they do have a good rep!

edinburgh is also a great city to live in, you will love it!!

1 bit of advise.. dont apply to small town uni.. ie bangor,dundee, aderdeen etc.. wayyy tooo boring from what i heard from fellow irish who went via ucas..

there was people in my class that litterly rang up 3week before class's started... give them a call!

lol ye swear i did pr for them...

i

o and also... as a graduate from both dit and napier edinburgh... a dergee is a degree doesnt matter from where or in what.. it shows u can study for 3/4 years up to degree level thats what matters..

oo im very profound today! just speaking as a graduate.. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rose**

:cool: ok so bangor seems out of the question (not because daniellaughed at it) but because aberdeen gave me the course i wanted wen pissy ireland didnt bother their arse. so it looks like scotland......anyone else going??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Okay, anyone ever read "Ragmag"??? It's the magazine produced by Cork IT students...and guess what? They laugh at UCC, the College which has Medecine, Pharmacy and many other traditional high paying courses, in all honesty don't go by a publication which is fictional!!

Your best bet is to look for "Red Brick" colleges in the UK, for example Queens in Belfast is a "Red Brick" university, these are generally the best ones to go for, after that search the net for ratings etc. and don't solely go by students comments! They will always up their own college

• Advertisement

Aberdeen is cool, good luck with everythng!

just as matter of interest, what course are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Don't mean to rain on you fire but I heard from a girl who used to be in one of my classes that bangor wasn't bad but she could be full of s**t

Advertisement