Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3 Test for linux

Options
  • 30-04-1999 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

yep its out there folks..

I`ll have a local copy up on qamex later I`ll reply when its up...

study calls

Ro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Damn, I only have linux set up on my crap puter and even at that I haven't set up the voodoo card on it.

Is it easy gettin Voodoo cards to work under linux?

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Yep simple,

just download the drivers from the site, check out www.linuxgames.com , theirs a how-to there, just grab the drivers and install um..lovely smile.gif...

Ro (gonna play q3 test tonight)nin

K hopefully I'll see u on tonight so, I notice cloud didn't stick up a .rpm file so i'm grabbin that off barrys.

BTW what is an rpm file smile.gif, I believe they're easier to install r summit.

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

Yea I was thinking you`d ask about that while I was studying, great study eh? :0...

well what you do is type rpm -Uvh file and bang it installs smile.gif..class smile.gif...

thats it baby smile.gif..that should sort you out,

I`ll be on from about 11 onwards..

Ro.

OMG sweet so sweet smile.gif.

cloud server is grand, all I need now is someone to play with wink.gif heh.

someone install it now!!!Install took all of 20 seconds smile.gif.

Ro.

• Advertisement

Finally got it workin, couple of questions for ya though.

1. How come Redhat has a special driver for voodoo and not the regular 3dfx one?
    2. I've since stuck in a V2 but godamn linuxgames.com has gone down and i need the following file Glide_V2-2.51-3.i386.glibc.rpm, can anyone point me in the right direction.
    3. I installed the regular glide driver .rpm file, but then discovered it was the wrong one, but the bit[h would'nt uninstall it, what gives there, also it wouldn't let me install over it. Is the command to uninstall rpms, rpm -e [file] ?.

Basicaly I had to reinstall Linux again to load the proper driver, a total pain in the ar$e.

And finally, ya know the boot manager LILO r whatever, it has changed default boot to linux, how to a change it back to dos?

Ta

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

Well to get lilo to boot back into dos pico /etc/lilo.conf and swap the 2 entries around , so dos is first and linux is 2nd. Then type lilo again and it`ll give you a list like

added
    dos*
    linux

or something like that, dos is now default.

also
    I mailed you bout the drivers, to force an install with rpm type rpm --force -Uvh file
    and it`ll force the install..

hope that helps, q3test rocks smile.gif..

Ro.

Ya bast, I followed all the instructions, went to fire it up and..........nuthin absolutely fargin nuthin, i was so pi$$ed off. I guess I'll have to go an learn linux now smile.gif

BTW I installed the glide thingy and it lookewd to go on ok, but how do ya know if its recognising yr card or not, without any game to test it on like.

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

rpm = redhat package manager, its used in most non-redhat dist's of linux too

anyone have a 'loan' of a decent 3d card so i can try this q3 thing? smile.gif

must..trash..hard disk.. and..delete..pr0n...so..i..have..space..for..linux.

Koo- uhh last time i messed with linux i set up an internet quake server! -pa

What the hell is pico Paul, u jus takin the pi$s like smile.gif

The force thing worked alright for the v2 drivers, but it wasn't --force it was summit completly different, u must be usin that dodgy tallaght distribution smile.gif

Will try set up my network on linux this week, anybody know of modem sharing progs?

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Advertisement

smile.gif..yea it can be done, a mate did it for his old schools network, I think he used samba and also a proxy, like squid, to allow the modem to work off the main thing, if you want I`m sure he`ll explain it all smile.gif...

sam wait till exams are over wink.gif. its nice though smile.gif...pico is a text editor tongue.gif...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Catch22

Ronin finds quake ---> fail 2nd year
    ronin finds q3 ----> wondr what will happen :p
    for lilo.conf there no need to go swappin entries around ro,
    just stick in the line
    default=dos

enjoy your exams cya in bar on 22nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

hehe i just like to post after catch22 :-)
    Ahh no....ronin is there a copy of q3(linux)
    on qamex?

Advertisement