Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to service?

Options
  • 17-08-2005 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a '99 Hyundai Coupe last week from a non-dealership outfit out on the Naas Rd. Seems in good nick, thought I was getting a service history with the car but after getting it home found out I was mistaken :( The car is making some clunking sounds from the rear when I go over bumps, which I think indicates a problem with the shocks (it isn't anything in the boot). Is Kwik-fit a good place to go to get this checked out? If I say I suspect a problem, will they try to get me to replace the rear shocks no matter what the problem is?! I also feel the car pulling slighting to the left while driving, so was thinking of asking them to check the tracking. Any clue as to how much these two checks would cost?

One other thing I've been wondering about - as I don't have any service history, and the car has 86,000 on the clock, should I replace the timing belt just in case the allegedly one previous owner never did? The car seems in great nick and I want to keep it fairly pristine for another two or three years. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

yes, replace timing belt URGENTLY if you havent been given a service history.
    also replace oil & oil filter.

Shocks not a big deal teh ywould have eventually gone anyway.

as for car veering to the left . I doubt its anything as serious as tracking.
    It'd be safe to say the wheels just need to be balanced. which is a very very minor job.
    Congratulations on the car btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's often the case with car dealers .... "Yeah the car has a full service history, blah, blah, blah.." and then when you check it out - it has nothing, no stamped book or reciepts.

Did you have the car checked over before buying?
    (Don't assume that because you bought from a garage that it's never been crashed, doesn't need repairs, etc.)

I hope I'm wrong but ...... perhaps the car has been in a crash - hence pulling to the left ?

Re; T-belt...
    I agree, ALWAYS change a timing belt a.s.a.p if you have no proof that it has been recently changed.

Silvera.
    (Ex-Panel Beater)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ionapaul wrote:
    Hi all,

I bought a '99 Hyundai Coupe last week from a non-dealership outfit out on the Naas Rd. Seems in good nick, thought I was getting a service history with the car but after getting it home found out I was mistaken :( The car is making some clunking sounds from the rear when I go over bumps, which I think indicates a problem with the shocks (it isn't anything in the boot).

Is Kwik-fit a good place to go to get this checked out? If I say I suspect a problem, will they try to get me to replace the rear shocks no matter what the problem is?! I also feel the car pulling slighting to the left while driving, so was thinking of asking them to check the tracking. Any clue as to how much these two checks would cost?

One other thing I've been wondering about - as I don't have any service history, and the car has 86,000 on the clock, should I replace the timing belt just in case the allegedly one previous owner never did? The car seems in great nick and I want to keep it fairly pristine for another two or three years. Thanks :)
    Have you checked that the exhaust isn't the cause of the knocking? A slightly loose exhaust hitting off bodywork/suspension is a very common source of knocking noises in cars.

Have you been in contact with the place that sold you the car to tell them that a) it is giving trouble only a week after you bought it b) there is no S/h with the car and you were led to believe that there was.

Is it a proper garage or some sort of car supermarket place you bought it from? Did you not get any warranty with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ionapaul wrote:
    Hi all,

I bought a '99 Hyundai Coupe last week from a non-dealership outfit out on the Naas Rd. Seems in good nick, thought I was getting a service history with the car but after getting it home found out I was mistaken :( The car is making some clunking sounds from the rear when I go over bumps, which I think indicates a problem with the shocks (it isn't anything in the boot). Is Kwik-fit a good place to go to get this checked out? If I say I suspect a problem, will they try to get me to replace the rear shocks no matter what the problem is?! I also feel the car pulling slighting to the left while driving, so was thinking of asking them to check the tracking. Any clue as to how much these two checks would cost?

If you are getting a shock replaced remember that you also need to replace the shock on the other side ie if you replace the front left then you need to replace the front right shock also as the new shock weakens the other side shock even more.

Did you get some sort of warranty with the car? A 99 car should come with at least a 3 month warranty from a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I had a friend with good motor knowledge check out what he could tonight, he checked very carefully and doesn't think the car had ever been in a crash as all the joints / fittings / panels seem to be perfectly in line. I got a 3-month engine and gearbox warranty, which won't cover the shocks I expect! Oil was changed when it was serviced before I picked it up, didn't know I should think about replacing the oil filter.

Also, I am not really having problems with the car per se, I'm very happy with the purchase but would rather spend a bit in the short term (timing belt, balancing) rather than pay a heavier price in the long term. Though I am a little peeved about the lack of service history, I was told it was 'in the book', which is isn't. Will take it to Kwik-fit to check the shocks / exhaust and balancing during the week, and look into getting the timing belt replaced - any recommendations for city centre / D8 mechanics who won't rip me off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Re-checked under the bonnet today and the engine is clearly marked: "TB @ 56,045 20-1-03". I take it from that that the timing belt was replaced two years (and 30,000 miles ago) and so doesn't need replacing for another 25k or so. Still annoyed about not getting the promised service history.

Will take her to Kwit-Fit next week to have the shocks and exhaust checked to see what's making the clunking noise, and to get the wheels balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would recommend the timing belt be changed around every 40k - 50k miles.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The clunking noise could well be a strut top mount.
    As for taking it to Kwik Fit for an assesment, be prepared for the worst!

Advertisement