Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 pricing revealed/will have varying configs

Options
  • 16-08-2005 11:30am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently developers have been told not to develop on the assumption of a hdd..

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25415

Surely they know this will adversely effect sales no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Doesn't sound good. Why wouldn't they want HDDs in the consoles?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

qz wrote:
    Doesn't sound good. Why wouldn't they want HDDs in the consoles?
    Who knows - reduce costs, excuse to charge even more for the ones with a hdd..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Because the PS3 probably wont have a hard drive as standard. Anything to reduce the cost.

Both stupid decisions, consoles work on the basis of hardware standardisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't see it as a big deal. It'll mean that the harddrive will be used solely for the multimedia aspects of the system, devlopers aren't to use it as a scratch disk.

One of the main selling points of the 360 performance was very little load time because the games would do a mini 'install' upon booting in order to reduce dvd-read requirements..there's also the issue now of memory card expense and also is likely to effect live - downloaded content and all that - if i buy premium content and have to store it on a mem card that means i can share it - MS surely don't want that do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The GameCube managed to have almost non existant, even without a harddrive. Perhaps the harddrive will speed up loading times, and that'd be a nice incentive to buy one, but it seems microsoft wants that to be the extent of it when it comes to games. I'd imagine downloadable content will be able to be stored on memory cards (which are 512mb, aren't they?), I'd also imagine it'd be pretty easy to secure live! content to a single xbox/memory card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

console has hard drive and additional cost to customer = microsoft bad
    console has no hard drive so no additional cost to customer = microsoft bad

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Microsoft always suggested that a HDD would not be bundled as standard in order to reduce costs. So not much of a suprise.. The vast majority of Xbox owners did not utilise the functionality that the HDD offered but had no choice in paying for one.

The games will likely be developed to run without requiring a HDD as a basic starting point... This makes sense considering not everyone will have one. However, this does not mean that the games cannot take advantage of a HDD if you do happen to have one.. It it conceivable that the game will boot from DVD by default but you may get the option to run it partially of the HDD..

Also, I would assume that downloadable content will not really be available to anyone without a hard drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

that is a fairly stupid move...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

maybe it is in a bid to stop pirating. If there is no way of having a hard drive, people won't be able to chip it and replace the hardrive. Therefore, no copied games on the box.

• Advertisement

TimAy wrote:
    maybe it is in a bid to stop pirating. If there is no way of having a hard drive, people won't be able to chip it and replace the hardrive. Therefore, no copied games on the box.

PS2 didn't have one but had just as much piracy (if not more) when chipped - just meant it could read dvd-r..

I was under the impression Microsoft were aiming for media centre style with the 360 - similar to a chipped xbox these days..plus there's the whole issue of playing your own mp3s in game etc.

The worst of all this is that despite my bitching i'll still fork out more for the 360 with a hdd - i mean if i'm paying 399 for one without i'll justify the extra 100 or whatever for one with a hdd - They've already won. :eek:

The majority of people who purchase the 360 won't intend using as part of a Media Centre, thus the peripherals and hardware required to utilise this functionality won't be bundled as standard. The effect of this will to minimise base costs..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

It was announced in LA times

xbox 360 will launch and $399 with a 20gb hard drive and headset and remote

$299 with just the standard package and no HD or any of the rest.

edit: the cheaper version will be with a wired controller and the dearer version will have a wireless controller. apparently the tv remote will be wireless too(although i have never seen a wired tv remote). and there wil be an ethernet cable included.

Thats reasonable...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

well if the basic model is 300 and the higher end is 100 extra (for which you get a wireless controller, remote, headset and HDD) I'll probably pay the extra.
    Think about it in the current generation, to buy an official controller, headset and remote you're paying €90, and I'd imagine the official wireless controller will cost more than the current official controller. And how much will a HDD cost? I'd say at least €50 for a 20gb one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I wonder how long it'll be before someone figures out a way to add your own HDD to the cheaper one, meaning for the $100 or so you save you could buy a much bigger disk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I think its a very good plan. Pic and mix. You want to pay cheaper price get a machine without a hd, however if your like me and plan to host all your mp3's etc... but it with a harddrive.

Its not as some people said stupid or bad plannign by MS. Its simply widening consumer choice. If i coudl go in a get a mobile phone, pay €50 less to remove all the ringtones, games and other crap that i dont use id do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

exactly.

people whinging about it being a stupid move - you have a choice. get the basic model or pay extra. you'll still be able to play games, dvds and music on both.
    well if the basic model is 300 and the higher end is 100 extra

the difference in dollars will be 100 not in Euro. since the console will be more expensive here, the difference will be more. there's no point equating them like that.

iregk wrote:
    If i coudl go in a get a mobile phone, pay €50 less to remove all the ringtones, games and other crap that i dont use id do it.

A perfect comparison, I'd be the exact same, generally I delete all that crap off any phone I get so I can have more space for msgs and pictures.

And quarryman, while everything is guesswork at the moment, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a $100 difference transfer as €100. After all, $100 is something like €60-€70 and so the price difference will still exist, if you see what I mean.
    It seems to be the fact that the newer consoles are all launching in a direct Dollar-Euro transfer, the PSP and DS being prime examples.

it will be the same numbers over here just replce the $ with a € sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

if you see what I mean.

i do.

either way we get ripped off unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

evad_lhorg wrote:
    it will be the same numbers over here just replce the $ with a € sign.

Don't count on it.

quarryman wrote:
    i do.

either way we get ripped off unfortunately.

yeah, it's a sad fact of living in Europe.

The official price has been announced in Germany:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4160076.stm

The two versions rumour has been confirmed and the basic will sell at £209, which translates to just over €300. The higher end model will go for £70 extra which translates to €410. So will MS round down or up? Judging by past experiences the machine will be €350 and €450 respectively!!!

No exact date still, but I'm pretty sure it's coming very soon, I think their press conference is still going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Eurogamer have stated that the basic package will go for €300 and the Upgraded package will go for €400. Not to bad I suppose.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Don't count on it.

zing! I counted on it!
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60545

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bah, saw that as well. Looks like MS love us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Bah, saw that as well. Looks like MS love us.

Yeehaw!

Unfortunately, although I have prebooked my 360, I am in dire lack of cash for the forseeable future....might have let is slip by for awhile in any case :(

I'll certainly pay an extra €100 for all those extras, provided I have the cash and the software support is there.

But that Core System sure sounds appealing.... mmm, Core.

Major Nelson has a podcast of the conference on his site , worth a listen, but I assume it's nothing the news stories haven't already covered. One thing I don't like is that the high end version comes with a HD-AV cable but not a standard AV cable like the "Core System", so now I gotta buy a new cable or else a new TV!

Next up, release date.

• Advertisement

TGS is the next time we wil get anything worthwhile out of anyone.

Advertisement