Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 pricing revealed/will have varying configs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

What a rip.

So €400 for what I thought would be €300? At least I thought the HDD would be there at €300 (that's what's even worse about this - no standard HDD, the one thing it had over PS3).

€99 for wifi? €99 for a HDD?

I guess they'll be selling X360-branded Vaseline, €20 a pop, but you'll be needing a few on launch day..

The worst thing about this is it virtually gives Sony a blank check now with regard to PS3 pricing. The core X360 package + wifi will set you back €400. PS3 is coming with wifi as standard, Bluray, digital out, a switch, a lot more removeable media support, bluetooth etc. etc. Heck, €500 looks positively agreeable from a value perspective, looking at the X350 numbers :( Unfortunately for MS, I don't think Sony will be going for €500.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The price will probably drop after christmas and almost definitely in time for the PS3 launch. I'll be getting mine in america when I'm over there when the launch is on but may put it off if there isn't a killer app.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

LookingFor wrote:
    What a rip.

So €400 for what I thought would be €300? At least I thought the HDD would be there at €300 (that's what's even worse about this - no standard HDD, the one thing it had over PS3).

€99 for wifi? €99 for a HDD?

Going by the pic on the Major Nelson blog, is the wifi adaptor a USB connection or ethernet or something else? I wonder if it will be suitable to connect to a PC if it is a standard connection, and in the same vein would a standard wifi antenna for PC be able to connect to the 360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I think they will base the new xbox on .NET framework, centralised distro of games with no more games locally unless they are bought/rented from the central server.
    Software piracy is begging MS to implement it, they might wait but xblive is perfect for it.
    I think that's what we'll see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thinks its a great idea releasing 2 diffe3rent configs.
    Presumably the cheaper price point without hd will attract those gamers that have no interest in or have not got broadband, nice entry price, €299, for a next-gen system, including inflation its probably the cheapest next gen system ever.
    The more rounded package (oh err missus) will be a winner with the Xbox Live savvy chaps among you, which must be most of the users out there, €399 is not so bad, it includes, system, hd, wireless controller, snap on alternate fascia, demo stuff and xbox live subscription, not bad value for money overall.
    Plus just because you go for the cheaper of the two packages will not prohibit you from playing any of the offline games which, presumably, most will mainly be.

Check out www.gamesindustry.biz for the details of the press release

• Advertisement

flogen wrote:
    Going by the pic on the Major Nelson blog, is the wifi adaptor a USB connection or ethernet or something else? I wonder if it will be suitable to connect to a PC if it is a standard connection, and in the same vein would a standard wifi antenna for PC be able to connect to the 360?

Doubtful, MS has gone to a lot of trouble to make sure no unauthorised third party peripherals are used with X360, so I very much doubt a standard wifi adaptor will work with it. Do you think they'd be trying to bleed €99 out of you if a standard one would work?

I still can't get over €40 for a 64MB mem card. The same price or less will get you a 256MB Sony Mem Stick.

I guess no HDD as standard is the biggest disappointment though. That was the one appreciable hardware advantage MS seemed to have.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

pricing for the add-ons (but not the HD) at the end of this...

http://gamestoaster.typepad.com/games_toaster/2005/08/xbox_360_euro_u.html
    While the euro and UK price slightly vary. When converted at today’s rate, at the time of writing, the US price is approximately 70.90 euro cheaper then the European price, and about £52.00 cheaper then the UK price.

monument wrote:
    pricing for the add-ons (but not the HD) at the end of this...

http://gamestoaster.typepad.com/games_toaster/2005/08/xbox_360_euro_u.html

The HDD is $99/€99. For comparison's sake, you can get a normal 80GB 2.5" drive for ~$120.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

they do seem to be milking it alright, especially on the peripherals. was always going to happen when sony started saying the ps3 will be "expensive"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Xbox 360 pricing revealed: $299 and $399 models due at launch
    The 360 gets two spins: the $299 "Core System" and the $399 fully loaded package with 20GB hard drive, wireless controller, headset, HD cables, and remote control.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot
    POSTED: 08/17/05 06:30 AM PST

[MOD EDITED: most text removed post a link if you want, I'm starting to think [URL=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1714702,00.html]O'Reilly is right][/URL]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

LookingFor wrote:
    The HDD is $99/€99. For comparison's sake, you can get a normal 80GB 2.5" drive for ~$120.

That's right, I some how missed it when looking at the press release early - or more likely edited it out. It's fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think I'll be paying the extra 100 if I can afford it when it comes out.
    Any news on the playability of X-box games on the 360? Last I heard it was so far limited...

I think I'll be paying the extra 100 if I can afford it when it comes out.
    Any news on the playability of X-box games on the 360? Last I heard it was so far limited...

They haven't announced specifically what games will be covered, but it will be limited. It'll be the best sellers..probably starting with Halo/Halo2. You'll need the hard-disk to play any Xbox games.

On a side note, a more thorough look around reveals 80GB 2.5" drives for the roughly the same price MS is charging for 20GB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

meh. 300 quid for a glorified gameboy/dvd player combo.

i will just download it when it gets on the torrent scene :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

LookingFor wrote:

yeah but you get a 40GB for 90 and a 20GB for 50..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The price will probably drop after christmas and almost definitely in time for the PS3 launch. I'll be getting mine in america when I'm over there when the launch is on but may put it off if there isn't a killer app.

will the US version not be regionalised to the games that are sold over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

quarryman wrote:
    will the US version not be regionalised to the games that are sold over there?

It will indeed, but of course its as cheap to import the games too and a lot quicker than waiting for Euro release dates. Though in fairness I don't think MS are as bad as Sony or Nintendo when it comes to Europe.

I've never been sure about compatibility with our TVs at home though. If everything's gonna be hi-def then I think it'll be standardised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

bah. still seems little point in getting it from the US then, not being able to play rented, loaned games. also sometimes you just don't want to wait for a game to be delivered and rather pay whatever Game charge....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I just couldn't be bothered with teh hasstle of ordering everything. Sometimes i buy games on impulse in the store. I like that, I like walking through a shop and saying ah im going to treat myself, im going to buy that. So much easier than planning what games and that you want etc...

"360 Price: The Industry Reacts"

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=796&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

Also, musn't be nice to be SquareEnix now. They were saying at E3 how when they heard X360 would have a standard hard disk, they just had to put FFXI on it. I wonder what they're thinking now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

LookingFor wrote:
    Also, musn't be nice to be SquareEnix now. They were saying at E3 how when they heard X360 would have a standard hard disk, they just had to put FFXI on it. I wonder what they're thinking now.
    "Hmm, I think we should put a 'HDD required' on the game box - most 'gamers' will already have one..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well all the talk of they are ripping us off with the accessories talk is a bit much and i think smells of the PS3 fan club.

Comparing the price of a 20 to 80 gig hdd saying oh you get this for 100 and completly ignoring the rest... 20gig hdd, wireless controller, headset, remote control...

Now going on current accessories a wireless controller is about €40, headset €15-20, remote control €30 see what im saying?

For an extra 100 you get a lot more than just a hard drive so there is no point complaing about being ripped off paying €100 for a 20gig drive when you can get an 80gig etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Looks like rip off Ireland strikes again, so no €299/€399 for us, no sir. We are looking at €310/€410 to keep things in line with the UK pricing.

http://www.xbox-scene.com

DiscoStu wrote:
    Looks like rip off Ireland strikes again, so no €299/€399 for us, no sir. We are looking at €310/€410 to keep things in line with the UK pricing.

I know it's only €10 - but it's still bull****. The extra prong on the plug costs €10?

DiscoStu wrote:

How do you figure that one out? MS said the price point would be $299/$399, £209/£279, €299/€399.

Something tells me that the "HDD required" is something that we'll be seeing a lot off over time, even if it's just for games that run on the HDD for quicker load times.
    As for the accessory prices, it's hard to compare at the moment, but I'd say this is one of the ways that MS plan on making their money back, relying on game sales didn't work last time, so now they have high price perhiperhals and licencing fees for third party ones.
    If Sony do use the memory stick for game saves (which I'm pretty sure they are doing) it will be a major gaining point for the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Whens release date in North America? Im gonna be over in New York between the 2-6 of November. Its not then is it?

Flogen: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5240

The original price of the Xbox was higer for us than the rest of Europe too url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox#Price_history]wiki[/url - Plus, the Crystal/Green editions were a tenner dearer here too AFAIR.

Slurms: It's meant to be out in November, no date is set however. You'd probably need a pre-order too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

WELl it seems tht the harddrive allows backwards compatability

http://shop.game.net/xbox360/

game are taking preorders on their website but not instores yet. but its states clearly here that the hard drive is required for backwards compatability

Flogen: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5240

The original price of the Xbox was higer for us than the rest of Europe too url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox#Price_history]wiki[/url - Plus, the Crystal/Green editions were a tenner dearer here too AFAIR.

Slurms: It's meant to be out in November, no date is set however. You'd probably need a pre-order too ;)

If that's true, it's a pain in the ass. I'll be getting mine in the UK anyway, so no difference I guess.

• Advertisement

evad_lhorg wrote:
    WELl it seems tht the harddrive allows backwards compatability

http://shop.game.net/xbox360/

game are taking preorders on their website but not instores yet. but its states clearly here that the hard drive is required for backwards compatability

That's always been the case, you need the information installed in order to get games to run on the new hardware, I'd imagine the "emulating" software is much bigger than 64mb per game

Advertisement