Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark-England (scores as usual)

• 17-08-2005 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Well.....

3-0 to Denmark! England are all over the place at the back. Terry, Neville, and Robbo off at HT, with Carragher, johnson, and James on. They've been rubbish since...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thopught my Footiefox was broken :D

Didnt update Ire Ita on time then went mental with GOALLLLLL Denmark :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

3-0
    HAHAHA:D:D excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

4-1 in injury time.

David James is finished.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Clamity James,
    HAHAHAHAHAHA :D:D:D

all he needs is big red shoes and put some red paint on his cheeks and get a big hat

4-2 i think footiefox gone mental and bbc site gets updated after recless posts...

/Nope 4-1 Footiefox never recovered from the 3 goals in 6 minutes..

Your on Sky Sports on tonight????

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I really wish I hadnt said what I did to a Danish friend of mine this afternoon.

Am I going to get ssome stick tomorrow.

Sayonara 'Flapper'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I turned it on during half time in the Ireland game, couldn't believe it! What a crazy ten minutes or so, terrible defending. Awful mistake from David James. I thought I heard when I flicked on at the end that it was Rooney who scored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Its always good to see England lose, I just hope Sven sticks with the midfield he has been putting out recently. :) Any decent team that goes out and attacks will have a great chance of beating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Haha, just saw the highlights. James should take that show on tour :D what a guy.

James back to liverpool i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eirebhoy wrote:
    Its always good to see England lose,

God I really hate that attitude, we take your abortions, your unemployed, your exiled artists. We give you roads, railways, law and order, parlimentary democracy, a stable currency and thats the reaction! ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    God I really hate that attitude
    I know how you feel. The vast majority of people on here and foot.ie want to see Celtic lose. Can't help the way the heart feels I suppose. :)

God I really hate that attitude, we take your abortions, your unemployed, your exiled artists. We give you roads, railways, law and order, parlimentary democracy, a stable currency and thats the reaction!

you'll open a can of worms with those comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

I just watched the second half with a Danish family(i live over here), it was great fun. I play footie with lots of english guys i work with some other english guys,we all have many danish friends together.Im actually looking forward to work tommorrow,it was annoying missing the Ireland game but this really made up for it, Denmark play Turkey away in their next qualifier(must win game) they might just do it. ( ENGLAND ER LORT) easily translated as England are s__t. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Anyone know if highlights for this match are on TV anywhere? I have no Sky Sports :(

Surprising result alright - Expected England to win by a goal or at least a draw. Fair play to the Danes though - almost forgotten after '92.

I like to see England lose now and again, because English people think they have a great team which they dont. The English media is pathetic.

Anyone know if highlights for this match are on TV anywhere? I have no Sky Sports :(
    On BBC 1 now. No goals yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats the trouble we have great players* but an idiot of a manager who can't or won't drop certain players or will put them in inapropriate positions.

/sighs...

Mike.

*plus some makeweights who should'nt be encouraged to think they're good by Sven selecting them

mike65 wrote:
    God I really hate that attitude, we take your abortions, your unemployed, your exiled artists. We give you roads, railways, law and order, parlimentary democracy, a stable currency and thats the reaction! ;)

Mike.

We took you didn't we... ;)

Never understood the phenomena of Irish footy fans supporting English club teams (not you eirebhoy... :D ) then cheering on whatever country England are playing on the international stage. Have to say I'm sad to see such an obviously talented group of footballers perform so abjectly on the pitch as an XI. The blame has to lie with the manager IMO, SGE has been living off that 5-1 against the Krauts for far too long.

James, Johnson, Beckham, Hargreaves, Crouch...jaysus, where does the list end? None good enough for international football. Why was Downing playing U-21 last night, when tonight's game was an obvious opportunity for more international experience? The Swede's gotta go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jubbly wrote:
    I like to see England lose now and again, because English people think they have a great team which they dont. The English media is pathetic.

They do, its just not the one Sven picks. They would have a real shot at winning a WC or EC if they had a strong manager with a mind of his own, instead of one who refuses to bow to the media.

Just watching the highlights on the PC here now. Why, why why does Frank Lampard insist on standing as far as possible away from the opposition players as possible whenever the opposition have the ball. OK, he tackles them if they walk by him but he never chases a player down or marks a player. Still, Sven is to blame for every match England lose. They have a bunch of world class players. Still can't help feeling sorry for him though when I see him on the sidelines. :)

• Advertisement

Never understood the phenomena of Irish footy fans supporting English club teams (not you eirebhoy... ) then cheering on whatever country England are playing on the international stage.

pfft! come on man, everyone knows theres no english players playing for premiership clubs ;)

Its always blame the manager, blame turnip head manager, blame mistic meg manager, blame slippery Sven. Its the national side that is the problem... they are unlikely to win anything for a while.

jubbly wrote:
    Its the national side that is the problem... they are unlikely to win anything for a while.

Judging by the fact that you thought Shels could win in Cork on Monday I'll take what you say with a pinch of salt...

The England first XI are a pretty strong unit on paper, Beckham should be dropped and a proper left-winger would be nice. Probably in the top 3 countries in Europe.

Judging by the fact that you thought Shels could win in Cork on Monday I'll take what you say with a pinch of salt...

The England first XI are a pretty strong unit on paper, Beckham should be dropped and a proper left-winger would be nice. Probably in the top 3 countries in Europe.

here, dont try and bring Shels into this !!

You can draw all the pictures you want on paper, it counts for nothing when you go out there and play opposition. Just look at holland, they beat england 6-0 (or something like that) back in 2001 came to dublin to dismiss ireland we we beat them. Who was better on paper that day ??

jubbly wrote:
    Just look at holland, they beat england 6-0 (or something like that)

2-0 actually.

And one match does not define a teams ability. Hell,if you want to talk about 2001, why not mention Germany 1-5 England, the same day Ireland beat the Dutch?

I say again, the English best XI is a very good team, ruined by a poor manager who neither has the balls to drop his favourites, or the tactical nous to vary his teams tactics to beat the best teams they encounter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

eirebhoy wrote:
    On BBC 1 now. No goals yet.

Cheers Eirebhoy - Just missed it Grrrr.

From what I have heard though, sounds like the end of James. Shame because I think he is a fantastic shot stopper and some character. Having said that however, wouldn't want to be in a back four playing in front of him. I wonder if he ever appealed to Ferguson given Fergie's love of absurd keepers.

I say again, the English best XI is a very good team, ruined by a poor manager who neither has the balls to drop his favourites, or the tactical nous to vary his teams tactics to beat the best teams they encounter.

True hes needs to add a midfielder who will work for the ball and rather than the PLs best 4 mids who the papers tell him to play.
    Gerrard lampard and the others are all great when thertes someone else to get the ball.

Cant really blame the defence they can only defend their area and if the ball is there a lot because of lack of cover they will concede but having a keeper who can catch things isnt a bad thing.

Your on Sky Sports all fans and presenters were well pissed with James laughing and smiling at the end, they reckon thats hit last game for England. So expect papers to say drop him and Sven to do that.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    True hes needs to add a midfielder who will work for the ball and rather than the PLs best 4 mids who the papers tell him to play.
    Gerrard lampard and the others are all great when thertes someone else to get the ball.

Michael Carrick. Or Nicky Butt if he can make his loan move to Birmingham pay off.

2-0 actually.

And one match does not define a teams ability. Hell,if you want to talk about 2001, why not mention Germany 1-5 England, the same day Ireland beat the Dutch?

I didnt know the exact score.. well it doesnt matter by how many goals.. I was just making the point that being a good team on paper is meanginless until you beat another team in a competitive match.

England have some very good players with 1 great player and a right few clowns and midgets thrown in for good measure. They rarely play as part of a team which is crucial to winning the World Cup or UEFA European Championship.

They spent a fortune getting Sven, they analysed him like crazy and he is still crap. They will never get to another WC Final unless there is another bobby robson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While the result is obviously a shock Denmark (and Sweden for that matter) are a very solid experienced unit, well coached, across all corners of Europe, and a will to win. A very under-rated side.

As for England, Im bored of lamenting SGE's idiocy. Why would you make four subs at HT. Did Defoe get injured? Wasn't the whole point of starting him giving him a chance to gel with Rooney? Why take him off?

When you look at the list of recent managers, Hoddle, Keegan, SGE, do you wonder why they havn't made a real impact on the big scene in ten years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

jubbly wrote:
    I didnt know the exact score.. well it doesnt matter by how many goals.. I was just making the point that being a good team on paper is meanginless until you beat another team in a competitive match.

England have some very good players with 1 great player and a right few clowns and midgets thrown in for good measure. They rarely play as part of a team which is crucial to winning the World Cup or UEFA European Championship.

They spent a fortune getting Sven, they analysed him like crazy and he is still crap. They will never get to another WC Final unless there is another bobby robson.
    Did England ever get to a WC final under Bobby Robson?

Fact of the matter is England are one of the best sides in the world regardless of who is their manager. They almost always qualify for the QFs at least of whatever competitions they get to. Not bad for a team with only "one great player".

sorry beckham makes two. the rest are just good players.. very good maybe.

England are a top 10 side alright. You would expect them to qualify for all the major tournament.

Sure Ireland can qualify for a lot of the World Cups and we dont even make an effort with our own league

jubbly wrote:

The impression you gave was that Holland ran riot against the English, the result didn't back that impression up. And I've pointed out to you an example of England beating another team in a competitive match. So whats your point again?
    jubbly wrote:
    England have some very good players with 1 great player and a right few clowns and midgets thrown in for good measure.

What world do you live on? They have the two best CBs in the PL, both ooze class. In midfield they have two quality central midfielders, albeit two who can't function together in their present roles, and in SWP Stuart Downing they have two very capable wingers. Up front they have probably the most exciting forward in the game right now in Wayne Rooney.

Don't forget Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Sol Campbell (when he returns), ledley King, Paul Robinson, Michael Owen, Jermaine Defoe, Alan Smith, and Chris Kirkland.

The manager is the problem, simple as.

jubbly wrote:
    sorry beckham makes two.

:eek:

The worst player in SGE's Favourites XI???

I think I'll replace that pinch with a pillar...

The impression you gave was that Holland ran riot against the English, the result didn't back that impression up. And I've pointed out to you an example of England beating another team in a competitive match. So whats your point again?

My point is, a team may be good on paper but that doesnt reflect how good they are on the pitch. I was using the nederlands as an example.

The nederlands beat england in a friendly before they played us in 2001. They came over to Dublin with the expectation of beating Ireland, since they thought Ireland were weaker.

We beat them that day, when on paper holland should have won.

Englands problem is that they have no team spirit. Its all a bit 'going through the motions' and it has been like that for years. I cant ever see it changing. They have lots of managers before when they had good players but have always fallen down.

England have some very good players but there is a great deal of hype surrounding the team by the media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jubbly wrote:
    The nederlands beat england in a friendly before they played us in 2001. They came over to Dublin with the expectation of beating Ireland, since they thought Ireland were weaker.

You do realise the difference between a friendly and a competitive game. Freindlies mean NOTHING and are treated as such by a lot of managers, Sven being the most obvious. Players dont treat them the same and lots of subs are used. The results can range from random to about right for the teams standing in the world.

Anyone thinking we are near to Brazil because we drew with them in a friendly is dreaming. See what the game is like in a WC semi final or similar and you see a gulf in class.

Im making a simple point Stekelly.

Just because a team looks great on paper , it might not be so great when they play for a whole range of reasons.

England look good on paper but are lacking team spirit and desire. They are never going to win anything of note until they change that. Unless they can find someone who really motivates them.

jubbly wrote:
    My point is, a team may be good on paper but that doesnt reflect how good they are on the pitch. I was using the nederlands as an example.

And I'll use Ireland as an example. Less than six months after a reasonably impressive performance in Japan/Korea in WC 2002 Switzerland came to Landsdowne Road as underdogs and left with all 3 points. So teams lose. Sometimes the favourites lose. Greece won Euro 2004 on the strength of that. Wigan could have beaten Chelseas last Sunday, imagine that...Premiership champions beaten by Championship champions. That'd make Chelsea a bad team I suppose? Thats what makes football such an enthralling sport.

My point was that one result does not define a team. Tonights performance alone does not define the English team. Their problems have been evident for far longer than the 90 minutes tonight.

Nothing you've said so far convinces me that England do not have a very good first XI.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233312
    Lampard (5) - anonymous
    Suprise, Suprise. :rolleyes: Unless Lampard scores he's bloody anonymous for England. And before I get the usual critisism from somebody, throw up some evidence.

Gerrard only got a 3 in those ratings but he's no holding midfielder which I presume he played tonight.

jubbly wrote:
    England have some very good players with 1 great player and a right few clowns and midgets thrown in for good measure.
    jubbly wrote:
    England look good on paper but are lacking team spirit and desire. They are never going to win anything of note until they change that. Unless they can find someone who really motivates them.

So which is it? Not a good squad, or lacking a motivator? Cos if its the second, then you're basically saying its all SGE's fault. Which is everyone else's point...

• Advertisement

Nothing you've said so far convinces me that England do not have a very good first XI.

I couldnt be arsed trying to change your mind.

jubbly wrote:
    I couldnt be arsed trying to change your mind.

Translated as "I know when I've run out of ideas".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

eirebhoy wrote:
    Just watching the highlights on the PC here now.

Got a link for those highlights? I need to see that goalkeeping again, in slow-motion.

PiE wrote:
    Got a link for those highlights? I need to see that goalkeeping again, in slow-motion.

All over torrent sites 94mbs in size thereabouts.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Cheers, thought there might be a direct link floating round but that'll do nicely.

PiE wrote:
    Sorry, watching on a PVR card. Register here though:
    http://www.fbtz.com/forum/

best site for torrents of matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

We took you didn't we... ;)

Never understood the phenomena of Irish footy fans supporting English club teams (not you eirebhoy... :D ) then cheering on whatever country England are playing on the international stage. Have to say I'm sad to see such an obviously talented group of footballers perform so abjectly on the pitch as an XI. The blame has to lie with the manager IMO, SGE has been living off that 5-1 against the Krauts for far too long.

i agree with the comment above but irish football is crap with a capital C and i must admit england were poor tonight,no excuses,but the world cup is a year away,a long time in football ,plus england are pretty much there,ireland might not even qualify,so gloat all you like now ,i will be still here when you dont ,what goes around comes around :p

county wrote:

i agree with the comment above but irish football is crap with a capital C and i must admit england were poor tonight,no excuses,but the world cup is a year away,a long time in football ,plus england are pretty much there,ireland might not even qualify,so gloat all you like now ,i will be still here when you dont ,what goes around comes around :p

Apart from the first part of that paragraph (cos I know it referred to a quote of mine) can I assume you meant the rest of yourcomment for others on the board and not me? Cos I'm far from gloating sunshine.

And no Ireland team would have rolled over away to Denmark in a friendly. We may not the best XI in world football, but we do have a manager who is professional, and who has managed to instil that professionalism in his players. Contrast with SGE...

I very much doubt that an Irish goalkeeper would ever have to make this admission:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4161724.stm

People in glasshouses? Lay down the aul stones...

Translated as "I know when I've run out of ideas".

No it doesnt. I stopped posting because you were really really irrating the crap out of me. I was making a simple point which you for whatever reason wouldnt accept.

A team might be good on paper but that mighnt translate to results on the pitch. FULL STOP.

England have some great players but they never perform at major championships. Its not the managers fault, its the english players fault. Dont blame sven. He has done very well.

The same goes for Spain, who have some great players but never perform at major championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Im delighted when England lose. Just great to see them being taken down a peg or 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement