Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog light

• 17-08-2005 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi I have the Nct test soon and one of my rear fog light is not working, will they fail me for that??
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You will be OK, rear fog lights are not part of the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 blackpea

ok cheers for that :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

In regards to the inpection list the following under the light category are covered:

Stop Lamps
    Rear Lamps and Registration Plate Lamps
    Indicators / Tell Tales
    Side Lamps
    Headlamp Condition
    Headlamp Aim
    Aux Lamp Condition
    Aux Lamp Aim
    Reflectors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

blackpea wrote:
    Hi I have the Nct test soon and one of my rear fog light is not working, will they fail me for that??
    Cheers
    There's no mention of them in the NCT testers manual, which I find a bit odd, since I thought they'd been a legal requirement now for a few years, possibly even an EU requirement.

Anyway, you might not have two anyway. Depending on the car, you may have a fog light on one side and a reversing light on the other, or possibly a fog light on one side and a dummy with no bulb in the other. AFAIK if you only have one, then it's supposed to be on the off-side, i.e. the right hand side if you're looking at the back of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

blackpea wrote:
    Cheers

Why don't you just get it fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Unlike the UK, there's no requirement to fit one if you import a car from a country that doesn't fit them as standard (Japan being the main example) therefore I presume there's no legal requirement to have one. That's probably why it isn't mentioned in the NCT tester's manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

blastman wrote:
    Unlike the UK, there's no requirement to fit one if you import a car from a country that doesn't fit them as standard (Japan being the main example) therefore I presume there's no legal requirement to have one. That's probably why it isn't mentioned in the NCT tester's manual.
    Hmmm, that's interesting. Are we unique in Europe in that regard? I mean it's not as if we don't get our fair share of fog around here is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Is there any requirement for stuff to work if it IS fitted, regardless of whether it's a legal requirement or not?

I'm pretty sure that's the situation with the DOE test for commercial vehicles.
    I could be wrong though, you never know. :)

Advertisement