Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WAP11 - crap?

• 17-08-2005 9:31pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Linksys WAP11 access point that doesn't seem to be able to work continuously for more than a few hours at a time. By "work" I mean allow client connections.

I reset it this morning by cycling power. I could associate with it for a few hours with no problem; excellent signal etc. Working with it this evening, it dropped my connection and now it doesn't appear on a site survey from the laptop. When I cycle power, it will be there again.

It's also glitchy when accessing its web interface. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first WAP11 I've seen these problems with. I looked on the Linksys site for updated firmware, but the WAP11 described there has a USB interface, where this one doesn't.

Anyone have similar experiences, or (better yet) suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hey there,
    Would there be any chance it is over heating?
    Is there an ethernet port you can connect to to see if that is working when the wireless part isnt?
    Have you tried the Linksys site in the US for firmware?
    Finally, is there any chance that some other piece of equipment is interfering with the signal from the inksys? Changing the channel will help rule this out.
    Kippy

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

kippy wrote:
    Would there be any chance it is over heating?
    Doesn't seem to be, no.
    kippy wrote:
    Is there an ethernet port you can connect to to see if that is working when the wireless part isnt?
    Yup. It answers pings, and prompts for a password when I browse to it, but doesn't display any web pages.
    kippy wrote:
    Have you tried the Linksys site in the US for firmware?
    Um, think so. Have to check again.
    kippy wrote:
    Finally, is there any chance that some other piece of equipment is interfering with the signal from the inksys? Changing the channel will help rule this out.
    It's on channel 13. The only other wireless stuff nearby is on channel 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Have you checked out linksysinfo.org for any firmware updates - Most of the linksys kit to start off with the connection drops like grazy,

I had the same problem different router and ap updated the firmware running rock solid now :)

Thanks for the pointer - nothing directly there, but followed a link to the Linksys FTP site, where I found just one firmware update, dated 2003. I'm trying to update it now, but the damn thing's so flakey it won't even show me the "update firmware" page...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

oscarBravo wrote:
    It's on channel 13. The only other wireless stuff nearby is on channel 6.

Careful; there's quite a lot of overlap between those channels. I can't remember the exact overlaps, but you should be able to find it googling.

• Advertisement

Between 6 and 13?? I don't think so.

They are actually arranged linearly, then?

Not sure what you mean, but channel 6 is centred on 2437MHz, and channel 13 on 2472.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Sounds a little like the problem I have on my netopia, but still different. It "falls asleep" after a few hours and forgets the DNS. I can ping anything on the net if I have it's IP address, but it won't resolve domain names. If I toggle the network settings from "obtain a DNS automatically" to "specify a DNS" and input the DNS, then it'll wake up. Otherwise a reboot will sort it.

Very annoying....

The Netopia's DNS system is problematic in general. It doesn't have a strictly correct DNS server, which upsets UNIXy apps which use a certain library. I tend to set DNS manually to Eircom's on my machines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement