Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controlling Serverside process (noob alert)

Options
  • 17-08-2005 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

I have a webserver (99% sure its apache) which resides upon Aix. My problem is that I want users to be able to control some of the functions on the server via a web page of some sort.

My actual problem is I want the users to be able to enable their own printers to save me having to do it. A bonus would be if they were able to view a web page that lists the status of all the printers/queues. These are simple print queues that respond to lpstat and lpq -P <printer> commands.

Now Im a reasonable programmer but have never been near anything web based. Can someone point me in the right general direction?

In summary click on link/object to execute an enable <printername> command.

Optionally a page that polls printer status' with lpq -P or lpstat.

In terms of what I have available to code with - dhtml or java (would like to avoid unless its really simple - I dont have time to learn enough) dont think I have python or anything. Only really need the code to trigger an action - I could do the rest in a shell script.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I have a webserver (99% sure its apache) which resides upon Aix. My problem is that I want users to be able to control some of the functions on the server via a web page of some sort.

My actual problem is I want the users to be able to enable their own printers to save me having to do it. A bonus would be if they were able to view a web page that lists the status of all the printers/queues. These are simple print queues that respond to lpstat and lpq -P <printer> commands.

Now Im a reasonable programmer but have never been near anything web based. Can someone point me in the right general direction?

In summary click on link/object to execute an enable <printername> command.

Optionally a page that polls printer status' with lpq -P or lpstat.

In terms of what I have available to code with - dhtml or java (would like to avoid unless its really simple - I dont have time to learn enough) dont think I have python or anything. Only really need the code to trigger an action - I could do the rest in a shell script.

If you use CUPS it already has a built in web admin panel....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry, no java here, but surely perl is on the machine? If so, someone in Unix would be able to help you out (my perl's a bit rusty tbh.)

DHTML isn't a programming language by the way, it's a codename for Javascript used for presentation. Although strictly speaking you can use Javascript on the server side, it's not something I'd recommend. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

AIX? *blinks in horror*

Anyway, yes, CGI in Perl or even a shell script language would be easy enough.

print "Content-type:text/html\n\n";
    <do stuff>

Advertisement