Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN to Broadband

• 17-08-2005 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭

right i've finally got the funds to ditch isdn and get broadband from BT.

i just have a few questions from people who've done this before.

1. how much does downgrading cost with eircom? probably an arm and a leg.
    2. after i order a downgrade can i get straight on to BT to order broadband or do i have to physical wait until my line is downgraded?
    3. is their a set up fee for BT broadband?
    4. i assume full instructions come with the modem to set it up/ i'm not hot on all this DNS Ip malarky.

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You don't need instructions tbh, it's literally as easy as they make it out to be on the ad's! Plug in cables and go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh but don't you have to set like DNS settings and ip's and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

No from my experience of using both Esat and Eircom packages you need only leave ther settings on "obtain automatically".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

After using Eircom/BT BB I can say that with eircom BB you simply plug in the JJ45 Cat5e to the router/computer, plug it in and power it on.
    Let it obtain the connection automatically and your done.

BT Ireland(in Feb2005 anyway) required that you enter a username/pasword during a basic setup menu.

BUT if you use the USB cable with any of their routers a driver install is required...so dont use one if you already have a spare NIC!

Essentially its plug and play for eircom BB and a little input with BT Ireland.....but still very simple and far easier than changeing some internal modems that I have encountered!!!

========================================================
    For extra proof on its plug/play nature:
    I plugged a friends Dell into my home network recently (it has only every been internet connected through its internal modem) and it automatically set itself up so that within seconds I was using Broadband on it!!!
    The simplicity of it all is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I had ISDN, when I rang to get broadband they just downgraded my line remotely because it was a plug and play ISDN box. The ISDN box just acts like a normal line afterwards, only one port works and you can hook up the BB modem to it.

• Advertisement

yeh i have the plug and play box too, so all i do is ring eircom to downgrade then i can ring bt straight away to order broadband?

does the downgrade from isdn to pstn cost anything?

I don't recall being billed anyway.

Giblet wrote:
    I don't recall being billed anyway.

ahh nice one so, i'll order on saturday on my day off, does BT charge for self installation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3092783#post3092783

If I could go back in time I'd just pay for Esat to install it

ohh one more question how do BT charge? direct debit? credit card? pay by cheque?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Cremo wrote:
    does the downgrade from isdn to pstn cost anything?

Cost me ~€110 but they came and took it away

:S i hadn't factored that into the price of getting it. hmmm

i'll see how i get on

Giblet wrote:
    I had ISDN, when I rang to get broadband they just downgraded my line remotely because it was a plug and play ISDN box. The ISDN box just acts like a normal line afterwards, only one port works and you can hook up the BB modem to it.
    fupping baxters i rang them up and said this to them but they said i needed a technican.

cause the line is split in half (duh like i know what the **** isdn is (or hi-spped as they call it)).

it will take up to 28 days for a "technican" to come out to the house.

what ****ing bull****.

is there any way now i can order broadband with BT before the technican comes out or do i have to wait until they downgrade to PSTN?

BT got my line downgraded. I had passed with ISDN and I ordered it and they got it downgraded. Not one call to Eircom. You will lose your second line, and might have to order a new one to replace it (different number).

ahh balls i thought i would of had to go through eircom to downgrade the line.

i might aswell wait now. as i have some unfinished business with BT that i don't want to talk about here.

Advertisement